Fotofish 2022 - all entries on this thread

Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fotofish 2022 - all entries on this thread

Post by Gibbsy »

Theo should work on incoming but would need to be on larrakeyah side of sign so fish work up the trail. But yeah great fun go like a cut snake. I did not realise they jump haha.

Cheers
Gibbsy

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Some cracker pix, quality fish :mrgreen:
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Damn forgot the brag matt pics, had fun Sunday with the young feller.
Rough weather too!! Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Rawz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rawz »

YES! New PB Freshwater Long Tom - taken on a Junior B52 :clap:
IMG_3213 crop rotatjpg.jpg
With all the cold weather the crocodiles are doing there best to stay warm. All the crocodiles you never see, all out on the banks.
FYI the first 2 are from Hardies very close the the 4wd track bank launch, be very careful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Did both a Saturday and Sunday trip this weekend. Saturday took a rep and a mate out. Plan of attack was to look for pelagics around 6mile and lee point then work flats in one of the harbour arms by half tide down. We were met with flat waters launching a bit after sun up. We hadn't even made it out of the harbour when we spotted some free jumping longtails around east point. With the rep not been a seasoned fisherman we dropped some lures back and started trolling. First 10mins and my mate was connected to a nice longtail, this was the biggest tuna he had caught.. We pressed on and followed the fish but they were only a very small pod of tuna. What was interesting they were chasing flying fish. I have only seen these out sail city wide. We after half an hour we have up on this small school and punched down to lee point. We were met with no birds or fish working. Did see tons of garfish around but no pelagic activity. So back to the mouth of the harbour it was. Short run back and had come across some Queenie's feeding around six mile buoy. We sat with these for about 20mins with only a few follows on the maribou jigs but no hookups. I made the call to head to the flats. As soon as we arrived I started giving lessons to the rep about Barra fishing, retrieves etc. It wasn't long and we started spotting plenty of rats on the flats mixed in with the odd better fish. The rats provided plenty of action on the outgoing and into the incoming. The rep finally got a couple to connect but dropping them on the jump. The very next cast he stayed connected and had a small Barra boated. He was pumped as this was a first for him. As the tide started to come in the rats kept coming and I managed to loose a legal fish near boat due to hook opening up. A bit disheartened we push on drifting along the flats. Managed to spear a couple good size muddies which was a first for the rep to see. As the tide height got about a third up had a better hit and managed to stay connected. With a nice little healthy 58cm bazz. Things started to slow down a bit on the Barra front so got the boys to start throwing frogs into the baby mangroves with no luck. As we neared a creek mouth we spotted a thready cruising in the baby mangroves all of us has two cracks at him with only my second cast succeeding. This turned out to be a nice size harbour thready putting on. A good show. My mate gave the net to the rep, his first attempt he had hit the fish with the net causing it to take off on a good run, managed to get it back to the boat second attempt with some coaching about netting by my mate and the thready was landed. For the day we ended up with one 1 tuna, 1 thready, 2 muddies and boating over 10 barra. We managed a nice run back to the ramp shortly after. Sunday decided to do a short day by myself on the flats. Once again calm conditions as I launched, short run to the flats and was met by schools of rats again. Sunday was not to be with all legal Barra seen were spooked. Hooked a few blue salmon which were out in plague proportions and managed a nice muddie for the day. Once again awesome conditions.

Cheers Gibbsy
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Did a sneaky arvo trip today after work to my favourite harbour arm. Was flat on way over which was nice. Arrived on the flats and water was up a bit still so on went the squirrel. Second cast had a rat boated. About twenty minutes into the session worked the squirrel out of a drain and was slammed by a nice chrome Barra in 70s. This one was not to be after a few good runs and a jump. The Barra decided to go under the boat as I tried pulling him back out from under the boat I felt the hooks pop. I was very disheartened. Moved along flicking drains on the flats then decided to suss out a creek I hadn't been to for a while. This was a good choice as there was blue salmon smashing bait and the odd boof. On went the popper and few casts resulted in a couple of surface strikes but not sticking. Tide was getting to the bottom so went to the second flat and found lots of threaded working jelly prawns after some persistence managed to land a couple. As the sun started dropping i started flicking a stickbait around. Managed to sight cast at a bow wave on dusk to have a decent Barra have a crack boat side. Man did it make the backside pucker. Pulled out around 8pm. Nice flat ride home.

Will be doing similar trip on Saturday with a mate so will keep you guys posted. But the Barra are starting to get toey and are starting to surface feed a bit. Just a FYI for those who want to know water temp was 27.5 most of the time there including after dark.

Cheers
Gibbsy
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

We'll as mentioned the water temp is still going up. Was 28 degrees yesterday in the harbour. Took a mate and his dad for similar run to Friday arvo. Targetting flats and drains. Spotted alot of salmon and Queenie's on the flats. Unfortunately we didn't do our part for the first half of the trip with plenty of hits but not connecting. Dropping alot of blue salmon and a few Barra on poppers. My mates dad finally got one to connect with a nice healthy mid 60s. He was stoked. My mate followed up with a nice creek Goldie which was a first for him. As the sun dropped so did the wind and we had perfect conditions. Managed a few more surface strikes on Barra but not staying connected. Terrible conditions on the way out also 😁

Cheers
Gibbsy
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Another cruise round the South West Vernon and Blue Holes on the weekend, had a ball again with the young feller Alex, :D Barra, Jacks, Trevors, Queenies, and Crystal clear water, it was great looking for fish, found a few new spots as well, always something to see and try and catch :P

Saw a heap of big Brassy Trevally following a couple of Nurse Sharks around the shallows in clear water, Alex hooked one of the 10 that attacked our poppers, but lost him around a tree 50 metres away, est 10kg plus, only managed a couple of smaller ones
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Wow, nice trips and reports Gibbsy and Dennis!
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Awesome fish Dennis, I keep missing the Queenie's 😱
Did a night run to my favourite arm Friday night. Met with perfect conditions all night. Glass off the whole time.launched at 9:00pm found the bait congregated in one particular creek. Once the moon had got up the was some short sessions of booting happening with alot of nervous bait. Both my mates had hook ups on had bodies and plastics but not staying connected. I stuck to surface lures running a black balista S pop. Had a few surface strikes but not connecting then finally across the low managed these two within a space of 15 minutes. One going just shy of 70 and the other going 74 both healthy fish and green as once hooked. Water temp at night has come up to 28.5c.

Cheers
Gibbsy
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I've never fished the harbour arms at night, I'll have to give it a crack one day
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Theo some of the arms do good at night. Less boat traffic. East arm especially. My biggest at night is an 88cm out of one of the close creeks. Have lost bigger. Did a both half day trip today solo water at 28.5 today. Flat on way there and a Bit bumpy on way home. But the fish are active. Water clarity was good despite bigger tides. Lost count of the rats as there were plenty. Spotted some good Barra floating between drains and sight casted this on which foul hooked itself on the little black balista Popper. Dropped another legal fish later in day and got my PB Giant herring jeez they are good fun. Thought it was a Queenie herding the bait up but first cast and he jumped on downing plastic to the back of the throat. Had to cut line.

Cheers
Gibbsy
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great pix Gibbsy and Agent86, bringing back some memories :mrgreen:
Rawz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rawz »

Having a far better month than July, got a pair of 68 cm fish in the fresh early on
68 barra.png
Managed a couple out at Corroboree, not the easiest fishing but eventually found a couple of suckers to bite.
IMG_0003 r.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0007r.jpg
Did a quick arvo fish in the harbour and managed to find many rats, best of 55cm. Good fun for a few hours. 3 inch paddle tail seemed to be prefered over the Junior B52.
Barra Jump.png
IMG_0021r.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0020.rjpg.jpg
IMG_0019r.jpg
Ivan
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ivan »

Did a Corroboree trip a couple of weeks ago with friends from Melbourne, more a scenic boat cruise for the tourist but managed to troll up a couple.