Bream on Lures?

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Oh_Robz

Bream on Lures?

Post by Oh_Robz »

Anyone fish for bream in Darwin Harbor with lures?

Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bream on Lures?

Post by Gibbsy »

Hey mate

Most of the creeks in the harbour have pikey bream through dry season usually can spot them on neaper tides on snags etc small plastics work.

Cheers
Gibbsy
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, heaps of pikeys and some are OK size. There is also a sub-species of yellowfin bream, only ever seen them small though.

Once you find a spot should be no prob getting them on lures, and you'll get barra as nuisance bycatch :D
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Had a bit of a bream competition with a young fella from the Rocky tagging club up in Shoalwater Bay Army training grounds a couple of years ago.

I took up a few kg of small prawns as bait while he used lures. I'd only ever caught 1 bream on a lure and I reckoned that was by accident so I was feeling confident enough to put a 6 pack on the result first day.

I was outfished 49 - 41. Bugger!

Next day, outfished again 56 - 45. Bugger again!

Got disgusted and threw remainder of prawns in drink and borrowed a small lure from him.

Always said that lures would outfish bait for bream.
Regards
Ronje
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yes. I went in a bream comp in Vic and they all used 1" hard blades. Some were even sponsored. One thing I learned was that the sponsored pros didn't use braid but instead the entire reel of 2lb fluoro leader so you bypass the possibility for breakage at the join
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Oh_robz there was tons of pikey bream near t wharf on Sunday had to take repos out for a fish despite the weather. On the sunken structure on the larrakeyah side of t wharf about 100m away from the wharf every drop we were getting hits and occasionally pulling up pikey bream. I reckon if you drop small gulps on heavy enough jigheads you'd get a few

Cheers
Gibbsy