Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Development of 2020/21 wet season

Post by Matt Flynn »

Clear skies over the north ...

Cyclone damage in WA ... https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... 581382fe65
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Latest BOM Tropical Update suggests the wet season is over for the Top End ...

Madden–Julian Oscillation moves into Western Pacific

A pulse of the Madden–Julian Oscillation (MJO) which tracked eastwards across the Maritime Continent to Australia's north, and contributed to the recent tropical cyclone activity, moved into the Western Pacific region. At this time of the year, as an MJO pulse moves across the tropical Western Pacific, its influence on rainfall patterns over northern Australia move from an enhancing effect to a suppressing effect. Based on current climate model forecasts, the MJO's location in the coming days will increase the likelihood of below average rain for much of northern Australia.

As the MJO moves away from the Australian region in the coming week, the risk of tropical low and tropical cyclone development becomes low.

Widespread rainfall across northern Australia unlikely for remainder of April

As the influence of the Madden–Julian Oscillation and other short-term tropical climate drivers lessens, the chance of above-average rainfall across northern Australia decreases markedly for the remainder of the northern Australian wet season (October–April). While some parts of northern Australia with east-facing coastlines may see significant rainfall for the next month or so, the remainder of northern Australia looks to be entering a sustained dry period.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

So long as we get some cool air finally!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Weipa still getting some decent rain ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigbudge

Post by bigbudge »

Hey Matt, have just joined FFF. I'm from the Hunter Valley, NSW, and heading to Darwin on June 1st.
Hoping to catch my first barra! I know June is not the prime time for barra but with work and family commitments I'm flat out getting a week off. My mate lives in Darwin and has a 5 metre tinnie.
We plan to head to Dundee Beach for a couple of days then maybe down to Daly River for 3 days.
Some people have told me I'm wasting my time at this time of year ? I believe the fishing may be difficult but fish have still gotta eat ! We intend to use everything from hard body surface lures to deep divers, plastics, and live bait.
Have you had success fishing for barra in winter ?
Any tips or tricks ?
Cheers
bigbudge
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Its been P155ing down for over a week in FNQ and will go got another week. im sick of it
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Few storms today, but BOM says the Wet is pretty much over.

BOM's wet season wrap up for northern Australia

The influence of the 2020–21 La Niña contributed to the highest wet-season rainfall across northern Australia (the area of Australia north of the Northern Territory/South Australia border) since the season of 2016–17. This was also the case for Western Australia and the Northern Territory, but not for the third northern state/territory of Australia, Queensland. Rainfall during the October to April period was more variable across Queensland than other parts of northern Australia, with parts of central eastern Queensland recording very much below-average rainfall. Overall, Queensland had slightly below-average rainfall during the 2020–21 wet season.

A total of 8 tropical cyclones was observed across the Australian Region during the season. This is less than the long-term average of 11 and also the more recent average of 9 per season (for the period since 2000). Four tropical cyclones were observed in both the Western and Eastern regions with no tropical cyclones over the Northern Region (waters north of the Northern Territory). The last time there were zero tropical cyclones in Australia's Northern Region was 2015–16.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/tropical-note/

And Bigbudge, I missed your post apologies, it's on the weather thread, copy it up on a separate post in the barra section and I'll answer it.