Dundee send

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dundee send

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Me and three other mates decided to do a three night camping trip to Dundee, a reward for a semester of schoolwork. Got to Dundee around lunchtime on Monday, setting up the campertrailer quickly then prepping the boat for an arvo/night fish. We sent it out to the Dundee Jewie Reef first, picking up some small sharks and salmon. We motored around and fished that general area, before we eventually went back to the Jewie reef for the change of tide and sunset. We relaxed a bit, before dropping some baits around 6:00pm. More sharks followed, before the sun disappeared and poop hit the fan. I hooked up to something with some real weight behind it, which ran me around the boat and went on a couple of screaming runs. Initially thought it was a shark, but after an intense fight a 113cm jewfish surfaced. Pumped, we got some photos and put it in the esky (which was far too small). Soon after that, my mate hooked up and landed a 114. At this stage, our esky wasn't going to keep the fish cool much longer, so we hung around for 20 more minutes (with my two other mates losing a jewie each) before heading back in for some steaks and sausages.

Second morning, we woke up, cooked some bacon and eggs and launched around 9:15. Headed out to Witches Nose and started sounding around for decent ground, before we sighted a large bustup and started chasing that. My mate landed two small mack tuna, while i lost one and copped a hiding from the big trevally underneath them. On the certate 3000 and 6kg rod it was great fun, except i didnt land one. Meanwhile my other mate landed a big one around 70cm to the fork. After that, we looked for ground again, and didnt get much. On the way back in, came across another bustup and hooked some more trevs. This time i landed one, which went around the same as my mate's earlier. A big longtail also chased my mate's lure, and we thought we saw a cobia follow up a stripey i hooked on a vibe. Ride back to the ramp was a bit bumpy as the wind picked up. We planned to go out late at night to the Jewie Reef, however the tide was too low and we couldnt be bothered launching late.

Third morning we woke up early and launched at 7, and we sent it out to the new artificial reefs 20km offshore. Ended up hooking and losing multiple jewies, as they buried us in the reef every single time. We could see a charter boat suffering the same fate, however another boat was able to land a few. After about an hour there, we went looking around for more ground. Saw some tuna bustups, but they were flighty so we ignored them. Ended up going to Loee Patches, where i finally managed to land a nice trout around 50cm to save the day. After that we punched it back in and chilled out for the night.

Final morning we woke up early again and packed up the campsite, before eating breakfast and going out for one last fish at the artifical reefs. Got busted off first, then my mate managed to land a 91cm jewie. Straight after that, i felt a heavy weight on the end of my line. Thankfully, it ran away from the reef and i was able to pull up a 104cm jewie. My mate then landed a jewie that went 1m on the dot, before we sent it back to land to retrieve and get ready to head home. All in all, a good four days with good company, will definitely look to do it again and get a few more reefies.
IMG_20200702_192733_585.jpg
IMG_20200702_192733_586.jpg
IMG_20200702_192733_587.jpg
IMG_20200702_192733_602.jpg
IMG_20200630_153330_222.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dundee send

Post by jersy »

bl..dy brilliant work. Well done
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Great report. Well done!!!
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great trip, top report too, that weather! :mrgreen:
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks lads, weather was certainly good - important considering we were in a 4.5 lol
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done
dmck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dmck »

I'm jealous!!!
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Great write up YG.

And only 4 days out of 3 weeks off. What’s next?

I’ve got a spare FF Bible if you want it.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NinjaFish wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:52 am Great write up YG.

And only 4 days out of 3 weeks off. What’s next?

I’ve got a spare FF Bible if you want it.
Thanks for the offer Ninjafish, but I managed to find mine the other day so it's all sweet :mrgreen:
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Top effort 8),,, Jewies are brutal out there , Bring out the big guns :applause:
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

jeffish wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:10 am Top effort 8),,, Jewies are brutal out there , Bring out the big guns :applause:
Might need to bring the 200lb hand lines next time
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

Good work mate and good report!
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

great work lads...good write up...time well spent with mates!
No matter where you go, there you are!
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cheers guys
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Nice one Buddy! good to see you smoke 'em!!