Should the NT border be opened?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Should we open the NT border?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 26

bigwoody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Should the NT border be opened?

Post by bigwoody »

There seems to be a push from some people trying to pressure government into "opening the NT border" based on economics.

The term opening the border means ending the two week quarantine for the Covid 19 virus.

Government has changed the quarantine rules to allow people to self isolate for two weeks at a place of their choice, this provides the protection from the virus spreading into the NT.

Should we end the quarantine rules based on economics or maintain them based on expert health advice.

Optimistic Pessimist
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Should the NT border be opened?

Post by ronje »

If the NT has any sense then NO.

I won't vote as Im a Qlder, but while NSW, The People's Republic of Victoria and SA are pandering to the ratbag protest franternity, then I'm for keeping the Qld borders locked down to avoid another round of covid infections started by the protests.

It only takes 1 (one) of these crazies to be a carrier and all the hard work has been wasted.
Regards
Ronje
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

No , no or possibly no. .not yet. Great having hotsprings to ourselves
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Tackle shops have apparently been trading OK without tourists because locals have not been able to go to the pub or TAB etc during the COVID lockdowns, so fishing is one of the few remaining options.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Will be interesting to see what happens with COVID after all the protests.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Yep.

The respective state governments will blame new infections on anything EXCEPT the protests.

One rule for the public and a completely different one for these little protesting darlings.

Everybody in Aus has gone along with these restrictions because the chief health officer of the C'wealth along with the CHO in each state advised that it was the safest thing to do for the good of Auswide health.

These restrictions (some quite individually onerous) were put in place and because "we're ALL in this together" obeyed by the population.

These ratbags and their protests showed quite clearly that "we're NOT all in this together" at all.

The ratbags deliberately threatened public community health for their own self-indulgent, selfish, virtue signalling reasons. They couldn't give a stuff about what effects their reckless actions may have on anybody else.

Gambling with "after the event" effects is NOT the way for responsible state govts (or protestors) to ensure public health.

THAT was done in South Korea in letting S Korea's little darlings loose in the seedy bars and nightclubs weeks ago.

Where were the very vocal state health officers who don't want to lift state restrictions because of the threats posed to public health and safety? Gotta keep the borders closed. No mass gatherings of 20 - 30- or 40 people. Maintain social distancing.

What hypocritical cr.p.

Not one peep out of ANY of them.

They way I see it now is that I can't see any reason why I should go along with ANY Covid 19 restrictions.
Regards
Ronje
mike davis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mike davis »

Yes for us here in Kununurra to have access to the keep river to fish and camp.. why it has been closed is beyond me. There is a only one road in and out and that is thru kununurra.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I'm glad we've been heeding the experts, imagine if we'd gone the way of the US and Brazil
dmck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dmck »

YES !!! and soon, please!
I want my deferred Ghan holiday ASAP.... and besides... its freezing cold here in the deep south!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Lucky Aus is an island AND declared Covid19 as a pandemic well before WHO (they were asleep at the wheel).

Aus started early with the restrictions and that early start was vital in containing it.

The US and Brazil didn't start early.

The infection rate in either of those countries isn't starting to flatten at all yet.

India is the one to watch.
Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Australia is bl..dy lucky, especially since we were told not to wear masks, and masks have since been shown to be very effective at reducing spread.

A lot of hard work has gone into contact tracing etc, kudos to the health staff involved.
dmck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dmck »

Matt Flynn wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:38 am Australia is bl..dy lucky, especially since we were told not to wear masks, and masks have since been shown to be very effective at reducing spread.

A lot of hard work has gone into contact tracing etc, kudos to the health staff involved.

AMEN to that !!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Dont know about the NT borders with SA/WA but a lot of road visitors go to NT via Qld and with Qld borders firmly shut, THAT option has been off the table.

I believe that there's going to be an announcement about that in coming couple of days.

My friend Mitch, works at Stanwell power station just outside Rockhampton and the power station has been going thru a maintenance partial shutdown.

Staff have been told that they will be getting an inspection visit next Tuesday by a senior member of Govt that will interrupt work scheduled.

Been thinking about that. Putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 again.

Tuesday is 30th June. End of one financial year and start of a new one.

Qld govt has been under enormous pressure from regional Qld (particularly tourism operators) to open borders.

Regional Qld was where the labor party got "done" in the federal election particularly in CQ where Adani mine was the big issue. The federal ALP AND the Qld ALP were absolutely hammered.

Anastashia "Pala-wheelbarrow" is facing doom at the coming state election in October. Her stubborn refusal to open the borders has exacerbated the anti-labor feeling in regional qld.

A senior Qld cabinet minister told me that "the boss" (meaning Anastashia) cannot handle confrontation and would run a mile to avoid it.

I'm guessing that its "the boss" coming to Rocky next Tue to announce a date that the Qld borders would be opened. Maybe even an announcement or two of assistance to struggling tourism operators in regional Qld.

She could have done that at the state/fed meeting last Fri but wanted to be seen to be in control (don't they all just love the power?).

She wants to make the announcement in regional Qld so she's going to Rockhampton to do it. Bit of secrecy involved (not much in way of leaks about who is coming).

She got hammered over Adani in CQ last fed election.

Rocky is a major crossroad in the Qld tourism trail.

Both ALP members have been struggling coming up to October election.

Stanwell power station is isolated about 25 km west of Rockhampton and has good security so few protestors are to be expected (so little confrontation).

Some hopeful political kudos for ALP in regional Qld to be seen supporting coal industry by visiting Stanwell which is a coal-fired power station.

Its there next Tues morning that I predict the Qld premier will announce a date for the Qld borders to open (unless the Chairman of the People's Republic of Victoria seeks to come and share the stage).

So all you barra fishers who haven't been able to undertake some real barra fishing will now be able to "scratch your itch" soon. (No not that one).

regards
Nostradamus.
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Well. Got it half right.

Announcement made. Madam stayed in Brisbane to do it.

Visitor to Stanwell power station was Minister for energy. Wanted to talk about energy generation (in a coal fired power station - some significance in that) and also duplication of the 40km Rocky/Cap Coast - Yeppoon road to make 2 lanes each way (some sections separated into 2 roads).

I guess NT will see an increase in incoming road traffic of grey nomads and NSW winter refugees now that Qld borders open (except to Vic).
Regards
Ronje