Bull sharks

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Bull sharks

Post by ronje »

With no river flow via the barrage in Rocky, the lower part of the Fitzroy has "salted up" right up through town.

With the long term salt buildup has come...…..big bull sharks.

Plenty of smaller ones are seen jumping all along the river length. We're told that they're small bullsharks. I've got an open mind about that still. Maybe "river whalers"?

However, there's no mistaking bigger ones. Similar profile to a great white but with tiger shark blunt nose

One enthusiastic shark fisherman now fishes exclusively for bigger bull sharks on the edges of the city reach at Devils Elbow.

Phots taken of this guy shows that he's been having success. He's apparently caught two really big ones (a 2.5m and a 3m). I know where's there's a photo of the 2.5 and I'll post it as soon as I get it. Don't know is there's a photo of the 3m one.

However, I went down river a little bit on Friday and found this setup by a local who live at river's edge. Don't know if this setup would hold a 2m or bigger bull shark but he reckons he'll find out. Fishing rod might hold up but have doubts about line setup and lashing holding rod onto the pontoon.The successful guy uses 8mm rope known as "railway" rope which was made under contract for Qld Rail for holding down tarps on goods wagons.

Could be obtained from "Quentin and Reynolds Hardware" which was what the QR railways stores depot was known as. Wouldn't be many people in Rocky who didn't have some QR Hardware rope.

Similar to Telstra contract-made rope 8mm and blue and yellow to identify it as belonging to Telstra in a bid to stop theft. Also known as parramatta rope to thwart investigators.

Will put up photos of sharks as I get them.

P1240050[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Bull sharks

Post by Matt Flynn »

Too funny, he might need a bigger pontoon.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bull sharks

Post by ronje »

Have two photos of the 2.5m shark caught on the edge of the town reach. One beside the boat and another on a nearby sandbar.

Also have a video of the 3m shark taking the bait but no still photo as they couldn't get the shark close enough to the boat to take one.

However, the video is an unusual one. They use a 20 litre plastic container as a floater and a 2-3 kg live Powertail about 3-4 metres down. The floater isn't anchored and drifts with the tide. They drift near it.

It sure looks like the barrel scene from Jaws as the shark takes the bait and the drum disappears.

There are a couple of expletives on the video so be warned.
IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGqO2U8 ... e=youtu.be
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ronje