Lake Girraween kayak trip

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Lake Girraween kayak trip

Post by Flickin4em » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:16 am

Few pics from this mornings kayak trip. Was a few saratoga and tarpon around and landed a small freshie too on the yozuri.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lake Girraween kayak trip

Post by Swoffa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Certainly is a nice place. I believe they used to do a lot of water skiing there back in the late 80's....until the salties started inhabiting the area again.

Thanks for sharing
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:24 pm

where is this bit of water ? your keen in the kayak if salties are in there

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm

al57 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:24 pm
your keen in the kayak if salties are in there
was bad enough unhooking this one while keeping an eye out for mum as it was squeaking for help. :croc:
Swoffa wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:40 pm
Certainly is a nice place. I believe they used to do a lot of water skiing there back in the late 80's....until the salties started inhabiting the area again.
Yep spot on swoffa it's a brilliant little spot only 10min from home :mrgreen: . Sorry al57 but I'm not going to post it's location due to potential grubs nowadays.( I picked up a pile of broken glass and other rubbish before leaving) The name is pretty much a dead giveaway though.

BIG barramundi, sooty grunters, saratoga, tarpon spangled aswell as striped grunters and the odd decent longtom are amongst the list of species of what I've got in there over the years. I'd suppose there be might be archer fish and maybe yabbies in it too?

Never seen a saltwater croc in there fellas and we used to wakeboard in it all the time in the early 2000s and even had a pontoon with pvc pipe rails setup on it for us at one stage ..... It has a lot of submerged weeds aswell as the surrounding reeds in it nowadays so one could hide out in there easily enough undetected i suppose . . . it does link to the howard river in the cyclonic flooded conditions some years too so you never know your luck hey. I did see a few sets of eyes on this trip there yesterday .... although most of them were tiny freshies.

The bigger freshie I saw the other day is around 2- 2.5m at a guess
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 pm

The scene from Crocodile Dundee (original) where Linda Kozlowski has her water canteen attacked by a croc was apparently filmed at the large pandanus right beside the boat ramp.
imagesXCASO5ZM.jpg
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Yep, I've heard that rumour too Swoffa from a few people over the years it's just to the left if you're looking at the boatramp from out on the water. Just on the right of the picture I uploaded last in behind the larger forked paperbark tree is the spot.

We watched a bloke drown a quadbike in that bit right there showing off to his mates... its been excavated out pretty deep with vertical walls (around 2m ish in that section when the lake is full) and just fitted the bike sideways across it much to his complete suprise. :banghead:
Last edited by Flickin4em on Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:36 pm

The scene from Crocodile Dundee (original) where Linda Kozlowski has her water canteen attacked by a croc was apparently filmed at the large pandanus right beside the boat ramp.
My wife lived there and walked in with her sister while they were filming. I'll ask her for any interesting details.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Awesome

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:20 am

thanks swoffa ,i totally understand you not want the idiots wrecking the spot ,since social media arrived there are too many areas completley destroyed by ferals .the lake looks a prestine quiet area to cruise around

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Ah the serenity. Linda was the best part of the movie when she did that, in the day, just saying.