What are the best tides for mud crabs?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Neaps
21%
Springs
24%
Building
53%
Diminishing
3%

Total votes: 34

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Seems like everyone has a different opinion. Some like neaps, some like springs, some like inbetween.

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What are the best tides for mud crabs?

Post by balou »

I crab both neaps and spring tides but try get on the water a hour before the low and crab the incoming.
On the neaps I check them every 3 hours and on the Springs every hour. Don't think tides are that important as long as its the income.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

When the tide goes in or out is good. Bait and location more important
tight lines
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yep, I reckon bait makes a difference.

Did OK using tins of cheap canned catfood, but the big crabs can peel open the cans. Always seemed to do better tho with pots baited with a good chunk of fresh fish.
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

Fresh Fish frames are the pick but have been using chicken frames and a chunk of tuna stuffed inside, like mentioned above the run in tide seems to work best
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I liked the first run in of a spring tide, working the pots up a creek, but some crabbers don't like spring tides. I'd pack up once the water was well into the mangroves, just like barra fishing. You do have to be careful where you put the pots on big tides because of the current. Never did much good on runout.

Another reason I like springs is because other types of fishing can be harder, so it is a good time to drop pots.

Tried overnighting pots but can't say it was more effective, just more likely to be sharefarmed or wrecked by croc/shark/bunyips.

Noticed that in some places like SWA the crocs go straight to floats and down, they know where dinner is.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

I keep a record of when the crabber at leeders is out. His boat is in the carpark the last 4 days.
The moon has a lot to do with it. If your income relies on crab you are not going to waist time
tight lines
JJLure
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JJLure »

Depends on fishing pressure in the area as well. Where I am in Central Qld, we have the greatest number of pro crabbers in the country & as a result legal crabs are extremely hard to find regardless of tide or bait. Having said that, the best of the very limited successful i've had trips have been on the incoming tides, during the building phases, and at night.