Fishing gear

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fishing gear

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Just asking what sort of gear would be recommended around the city/ east point area? ( Eg lures, rods, reels, line and weight class)

goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fishing gear

Post by goldfish »

Most barra fishos run a baitcaster for increased accuracy when casting to the snags. But spin gear is getting pretty common nowadays too. I use both depending on the area and type of technique that I'm fishin at the time....
Baitrunners are the goods on livies.

4- 8kg graphite rods in a decent brand and quality reels loaded with 30lb braid will handle most barra depending on the situation. Buy the best gear you can afford and maintain it regularly and it should last for years. I run a full rod length of 45lb schnider with a slim beauty and perfection loop combo. I up the leader in strong current with barra over 90cm to stop them wearing through it just as you are about to land them. Don't keep casting if the line is chafed get out the scissors and retie it. Many times I've lost a good one due to laziness. Less of an issue on hard bodies but the soft plastics get inhaled more regularly.

Having said that I've seen a $10 handline and live bait catch heaps more than lures some days too. It's all personal preference.

Good luck..... you can't win them all.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.