Shady Camp ramp

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Camp ramp

Post by scottmac »

Just bite the bullet and can it then. Damn the expense. It's
Going to cost a whole lot more to build it then fix it twelve months later.

grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

For what it is worth another opinion.

On the Point Stuart ramp unless things have change dramatically since I lived out there the place would be inaccessible for 4 months of the year. Not only that we used to launch off the beech up there and it is only possible for 2 hours each side of high tide , a ramp extending out onto the mudflat might extend that window by an hour. Another waste of money. I always found it much quicker and easier to launch at Shady go out to the mouth and head up to the Pt.

On Shady, here we go again trying to mess with nature the Shady channel is all but rooted because they built barrages to try and control the water and it failed. In the wet the current wide ramp just needs a touch up with concrete and gravel. For the dry season go over the rock bar and build a proper boat ramp going into the channel running around the barrage that will give you access at all stages of the tide.

Just some food for thought.
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

nomad wrote:
scottmac wrote:So why can't the government just can it? Some sort of legal issues I suppose. .

I think it will cost just as much to can it and compensate the contractor. the problem there is that you end up with nothing and the contractor gets his $
unfortunately this govt have inherited the cockup

I did remind the govt reps that there have been many ramps built all over the world so there was no need to reinvent the wheel. Surely they could adapt other proven designs to work here.
so from now on, im sure they will do it right.

Canning it will end the cockup though as horribly wasteful as it sounds. Going ahead and building it will just create a legacy issue for governments in the future. Government will be paying for the upkeep of it when it has added no value to recreational fishing infrastructure.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yep were buggered either way. But the NT has had 2 billion chopped out of the budget from the GST feds and I’m sure that people wont want their share spent on some ramp to not be built rather than on something useless like education where $ have been chopped much more than most other departments
Who needs education anyway? :D