Gold Member
Gold Member

Access to the Daly River

Post by bigwoody »

A bloke I know sent me this today.

Sent: Friday, 24 February 2017 2:29 PM
Subject: Wooliana Road & Daly River Road Closures

Folks,

Just an update on the roads. DoI came and inspected it today. There is significant damage to the road surface on Wooliana Road with one section extremely bad and I am told if you were to stop on it the vehicle may go through the surface.

Daly River Road past the Police Station will also remain closed. The crossing is obviously still well under water and there is no need to reopen it at this time. I believe it has happened in previous years and I know for sure that this year when the water dropped people drive down into the silt and mud and become bogged. As far as I am aware launching a boat from a public road is not permitted anyway but I certainly do not want to encourage people to launch there as I will be there first call to come and pull them out.

With the road closures, I request that community members be advised when you deal with them, that they are not exempt from road closures. This goes for the service providers such as teachers; nurses and yes even Police. I am not able to go and launch my boat while these roads are closed, I would put a sigh in but that wouldn’t be professional!!!

I am aware that the closure of Wooliana Road (from Banyan Farm causeway) can be a financial hardship to the businesses that operate from their properties and I obviously want the road reopened as soon as possible. However, I am aware that residents of Wooliana Road have got friends/clients or whatever driving in on the closed road. I am aware that these people are going there to fish and aren’t close family friends as such. One of the reasons I know is that I had to assist 2 men this morning on my way to Darwin. They were friends of one of the residents and were going to their place and were going to go fishing. My suspicions were raised by the large esky in the tray of their ute. I explained that the road was closed and they were not allowed to drive along it but they insisted that it was OK as they were friends of … If any person is found driving on the road they will be issued with an Infringement Notice in the first instance. If people are going to abuse the permit system or ignore the road closures then we may have to meet to reassess the permits and or their conditions. As we all know, the road is closed for a reason and not just to inconvenience people.

If you can please pass this information on to your friends and other residents of Wooliana Road I would appreciate it.

Regards,

Trevor Bates | Remote Sergeant
OIC Daly River Police Station | Northern Territory Police Force
p... (08) 8978 2466 | e... [email protected] | www.nt.gov.au/pfes

Optimistic Pessimist
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Access to the Daly River

Post by Jer »

Doesn't sound great for the road or for when it might open up again. I was pretty disappointed to hear and see that people were going down there and still fishing. Let's hope the Police there enforce the road closures and reduce the amount of abuse to the permit system.

Thank you for sharing the info.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers for the info Trevor, let's hope people can be patient and wait until the road is open again so it doesn't get chopped to poop and stay closed for longer.
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

Still closed?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Today I read somewhere that they will allow launching at the police stn
ambush
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ambush »

thought i saw a post on facebook from stu brisbane from Daly river barra resort, wooliana road open, but boat ramp gate closed still.
littleuma
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by littleuma »

Daly River - arguably one of the greatest NT fishing destinations (assets) for local and interstate barramundi fisher-people. Can someone explain to me why we remain without access as the river is dropping in what could be a period of prime fishing? Dare I suggest some political play occurring between landholders along the river and or members of the local council protecting their patch from the influx of "out of towners" or "southerners"? Perhaps its time for the Government of both persuasions should step in to resolve access to the waterways to support the tourism (NT domestic and interstate) to back up their tourism campaigns. No point investing in campaigns to have access denied upon arrival - kind of pointless. Granted only a few people arrive to go fishing and it is relatively early in the season however its frustrating that roads continue to be closed due to insufficient investment and there remain insufficient options to access waterways meaning that there is increased and focussed pressure on only a few select locations.
Next time there is only access to the Adelaide and South Alligator Rivers (i.e. Daly is "closed" and Shady is "closed to some and optionally not others") we as local fisho's should all hook up our boats and blockade the CBD in force to demonstrate (a) the value of investment made locally in cars, boats, fuel, servicing, fishing equipment etc (b) the number of people who recreationally fish (c) fisher-people and families as a voting % (and tax paying) (d) be a thorn in the side for the Government of the day and raise media attention to the issue of access.
I cannot and do not believe that in 2017 we have invested in roads and bridges west of Daly River (which is I might add a very worthy investment) yet did not consider the extra few $100K to put in a cramp at that location as a secondary access point to the river?
Am I upset/frustrated, yes. Am I misinformed and or don't understand all the issues, maybe. However it simply doesn't change the fact that we need to lobby together to improve access both in numbers of locations and quality of facilities.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Roads get damaged from flooding and traffic during the wet. The Woolianna road was a metre under water a couple weeks ago.

The Daly River is a community where people live and work not just a tourist destination. The river is accessible at the crossing not sure what else they can do at this stage....
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Get over it littleuma. Its the bl..dy wet season mate and the are not going to fix the road if there is more rain coming. Go and launch at the crossing mate and stop your whinging!!!!
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Conflicting reports. The local copper above, said you can't launch at the crossing. Now some are saying you can? Maybe give the cop shop a call.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 384&type=3

Just found this. You can launch at the crossing.
bigwoody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigwoody »

My contact at the Daly sent this today.

Sent: Monday, 27 February 2017 10:01 PM
Subject: Road Closures

I am advised by DoI that Wooliana Road will remain closed as it is. They will inspect it tomorrow and I believe again on Thursday. I am now told it will probably remain closed until next week?? Boat ramp will also remain closed.

The road near the police station is also still closed. This will be inspected tomorrow also. As we have already told people they can launch there we will let them launch at their own risk.

I apologise for the stuff up but It still means people are able to launch but will have to stay off Wooliana Road.

Regards,

Trevor Bates. Remote Sergent. Daly River.

Sent from my iPad
Optimistic Pessimist
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Make sure you have maxtax or a bl..dy long winch cable when u launch at the crossing as is get real boggy there guys!!!!!!
DOA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DOA »

Does anyone have any update? Was keen to seek if I can launch tomorrow?
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

DOA, Give the local police officer a call p... (08) 8978 2466 Trevor reid is his name. The boat ramp is closed.