NT Election: fishing policy

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: NT Election: fishing policy

Post by ronje »

From the Labor Policy document

Funding for the installation of a marine radio repeater system for recreational boating safety and communication

The Northern Territory does not have an emergency system of communication for maritime recreational boat traffic. Labor will undertake a cost benefit analysis on the installation of a marine radio repeater system in the most trafficked areas[u] of the Territory coast.

Remember this from 2010 when the Coast Guard was going to do wonderful things with a bucket of eggs and a big stick? Never been seen since despite a workable network being designed.

Only promise is cost benefit analysis.

Areas of interest to be:

. most trafficked; and

. coast (so rule out the rivers where they're really needed).

I understand that election is tomorrow.

Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

AFANT has posted up the 1Territory fishing policy in the previous link. Not much in it.
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

Remember this bloke from QLD? Up to his usual trying to influence NT fishing politics from down south. Pity he couldn't keep his promise.

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:58 pm Post subject: Bye

It's time to say goodbye.

Originally I came onto this forum due to association with the Daly and Roper Rivers.

Met a lot of really nice people on the forum. Also came across a few grubs but I guess you find them anywhere you go in life.

A couple of things are behind my departure.

Firstly, I've made my last trip to the Roper earlier this year.

The declaration of Limmen Park meant a upgrading for the Tomato Island camp. Lots of good amenities (too good). Counted 30 vehicles at the boatramp. Camp rules about doing this or not doing that.
On the water, boats all over the place.
Also present is the Iron Lady with ever-attendant dories hogging downstream spots permanently.
Couple of ill-mannered boaties amongst the extra 30. Even went 35km up Phelp for some solitude to find one there as well.
Road in/out chopped up by Western Desert Resources trucks. That's only going to get worse.

Secondly, the effects of the Blue Mud Bay decision.

What's obvious is that recreational fishermen are being squeezed out by the TOs closing rivers or parts of rivers. Irrespective of reasons (maybe pressure on NT Govt over money for access) the end result is the same. Uncertainty of fishing access which is sure to increase.
Each closure puts more pressure on remaining accesses.
NT Govt appears disinterested in what's happening so I wouldn't expect that to improve anytime soon.

The NT no longer holds attractions for me. So I'll depart.

Frankly there are less hassles going fishing in Qld with none of the complicating TO legislation and overcrowding.

All in all, its been a positive experience'. To those people who have enriched my life I say thank you.

To the grubs I thank you for re-affirming my belief that the dregs of society are still flourishing. For a while there I was starting to think that knuckle-draggers had gone down history's path.

Camfish,
I think you were right about the likes of BenJam, Blinky, ghound, GoodlookinPete, got-none, PonyPlay, ryjan, seano, Sy and wonderwobler along with their worshipping hangers-on.

And they think you're silly!

To some of the friends I've made, you have my e-mail address. Better use it as I won't be signing on here again for a pm to get to me.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

He makes a good point re the repeater, and knows a bit about radio. Some of the other points made have concerned others on here. Not sure why the problem?

Wonder what happened to GoodlookinPete?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yeah I hate everyone too! :twisted:
Good to see you back posting ronje :applause:
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Doesn't really matter as anything from the historical list of grubs doesn't appear anyway.
Regards
Ronje
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

Ok, let’s look at your statements.

The NT is a remote area with a very small population. There is effectively only one port in the entire coastline, Darwin. The various aboriginal coastal and island communities cannot be classified as ports.

The entire NT coastline is covered by High Frequency (HF) radio Darwin VKD 999 and is also monitored by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)

Vessels operating in remote areas of the NT coast should have a HF radio as a means of emergency communications.

Very High Frequency (VHF) radio is very limited in its range and relies on repeater transmission tower aerials to be of any use.

VHF radio coverage in the rivers of the NT is based on what need? I cannot recall any one being lost or perishing in our rivers. There has been a few late home or spending and uncomfortable night at worst.

VHF radio is next to useless in rivers; two or three bends of the river and the “line of sight” capabilities of VHF are lost.
The only practical use of VHF in remote areas is boat to boat, and any one can purchase one of these inexpensive systems for their boat and chat to other boats, provided you can see them.

Perhaps you should look in your own backyard down south, a state with the third largest population with more than a dozen serious ports, yet the VHF radio coverage has numerous large gaps and is non-existent in remote coastal areas comparable to the NT including the rivers.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I reckon oppositions don't win elections.

Govt's lose them.

News reports in southern papers say the NT CLP has done enough to be tossed out. That'll mean the ALP will probably get in........

The interesting thing is if the NT electorate will continue with the drift away from the mainstream parties like in other places.

The number of independents/smaller parties that are elected will be an indicator, I guess.

A hung parliament may be in the offing particularly with the low number of seats in the election. A lot of the ingredients seem to be there.
Regards
Ronje
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

If, and its a big if, the CLP get back in, we will be in for a horror run with Giles. i know that pollies lie but he is much better than even those in Tassie 10 years ago.

I used to know a few crooks who would also look you in the eyes while telling you the biggest stories. both of us knew that he was lying but he didnt give a rats

oh well, like they say, you get the govt you deserve
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

For those who are sick of it here's the last bit unfolding :D ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/nt-election-2016/
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Predicted result with 60% counted ...

Labor 18
CLP 3
Other 4
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Story on more independent members than CLP ... http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... 5773496523
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Thought you might like to hear something I heard today. Ironic.

" 20 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash and Steve Jobs."

Now we have no hope, no cash and no jobs.
Regards
Ronje
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Matt Flynn wrote:Story on more independent members than CLP ... http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... 5773496523

Kezia Purick will run back to the CLP and claim saviour status. She will claim that she is doing it in the interests of democracy but truth is she will just be sniffing around for power. Fact is she will be irrelevant without the speakers chair. She will be racing that other incognito CLP independant Terry Mills for the power grab and they will bicker like school children. The last four years has read like a midday soap opera with Kezia, Terry and the CLP at the front.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.