Flare set off at the Rock.

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Flare set off at the Rock.

Post by balou »

A mate and I did a run to the Rock this morning for the turn of the high. We arrived at 5am and anchored up. It was dark so we had the spotlight on. A crew on the opposite end of the rock was yelling at us to turn off our lights so we apologised and turned the light off. As we settled in we heard what sounded like afew p...ed blokes having a party.

About 6am l hooked onto a Jew and mid fight the other crew set a flare of. The deckie was yelling out to them if they were alright but no answer. Initially we thought they were just f.cken around cause they could see us fighting a fish. We could hear them but they didn't answer us. They were just anchored up and did not look like they in distress.

We decided to investigate as they did not respond to our calls. The deckie ripped up the anchor, and I screwed down the drag and snapped the line.

As we arrived at the boat we found 3 blokes who ran out of petrol and wanted to buy some of us. My fuel was all under the floor. They reckon they had flat mobiles and asked us if we could ring the buff compound and asked if they could organised someone to run out some fuel. The deckie rang up and I committed to tow them back if no one turn up with fuel.

To the credit of the buff compound they organised and sent out some fuel an hour later with a passing boat.

When got back , we were told by the compound that this crew rang the water police overnight but were told too bad cause they ran out of fuel.

I friggen hate helping people who run out of fuel.... Setting off a flare was also a bit unnecessary considering it wasn't an emergency situation.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Flare set off at the Rock.

Post by Matt Flynn »

No fuel, three flat mobiles .... crikey.

Shame other people have to pay a price for dills but you did the right thing, good on you.
Mitcho
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mitcho »

Good on Ya bud .. It's people like you that make us feel safe when fishing . It's a community , looking out for one another :)
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I dont understand the running out of fuel thing either. If I go somewhere new, I will take a measurement of distance before I leave, calculate the fuel on my worst fuel economy, and add a bit more for running around fishing. Then add some more fat for just in case
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Good on you. They were pushing their luck having a go about your lights and then asking for help! No way a flare was justified, they should have just waited for sun up. Also, how do you run out of fuel in Shoal Bay??
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good on you mate.
The rule of fuel is 1/3 there, 1/3 back and 1/3 spare. Ive never run out of fuel.

Geez I hope buff creek charged them triple their costs for these idiots.

They need to give themselves an uppercut for using the flare in those circumstances. Idiots
Fogazi
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fogazi »

I'm paranoid about running out of fuel, i run the calcs in my head 100 times and then take another jerry just in case... This is all on the vic river so not many opportunities for rescues...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

They must have started out near empty to run out of fuel at the Rock? - don't understand that part.

Helping others at sea is very important, good on you for seeing past the other stuff.

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Running out of fuel in shoal bay ?

Same here 1/3 extra at least. I always have a extra 16L that I don't even calculate.

Last time I was out there two guys were stuck in mud just inside the channel into buff creek since 8pm the night before in a hire boat and we couldn't get within 50 meters of them at 5am ( beats me how they got so far in where they were ). They got off at 10 am and had relieved family friends and hire company waiting for them at buff ramp
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

There a lot of things that could cause you to break down but no fuel should never be one of them. I have towed many back to the ramp over the years as we all have done . But I reckon half of them were due to running out of fuel. Don't really mind if it afailure that out if their control but s...ts me to tears when it no fuel related.

This boat was 5m plus with dual tanks. They told us the switched to the second tank to find nothing in there. It not sure where they started fishing but when we rang the compound said they were due back the high night before. Maybe they missed calculated the ramp times.

I had the sh..t after they told me they ran out of fuel so I didn't ask to many friendly questions.
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Onya balou, understand your pain, snapping off a good fish cause of dicks, as mentioned above they could have just waited to sun up to signal you for assistance but unless short of water hardly an emergency, my phonre mayhave been flat or left in glovebox in similar situation lol

cheers Craig
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Onya Balou... You saved another ass. You should have left them to the Durdunga mob... "Traditional Owners" of the spit they said... :applause:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
trev4th
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by trev4th »

Is it not the skippers responsibility to ensure enough fuel. Hope they had enough sense to drop a carton off to both the compound guys for organising fuel and the deliverers. We all have towed someone home who has broken down and would hate to see that changed. Interesting that water police not interested because they were not at risk.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

trev4th wrote:Is it not the skippers responsibility to ensure enough fuel.
Really?, If not the skipper then who?
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

nomad wrote:
trev4th wrote:Is it not the skippers responsibility to ensure enough fuel.
Really?, If not the skipper then who?
You might have read that wrong Nomad