Daly River 21 Feb

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Daly River 21 Feb

Post by BarraMick »

thats some bad news about your stuff getting flogged.

we wayed up the option of leaving the boat in the water as well.
but decided against it for that exact reason.
too much stuff to have to carry back up to camp as dont want to leave anything in the boat.

in the end just eaiser top put the boat back on the trailer and put all the cr.p back in the car overnight (while sleeping)

wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Im with you Mick, a little bit more inconvenient to retrieve the boat each day but it is peace of mind to know that the little pr..ks wont get a hold of my fishing gear!!!!!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Snags show on the sounder, pretty sure they don't have swim bladders
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

I hear what you are saying about taking the boat out each day, but when there is no DUI on the River, and there might be from the Boat Ramp, I prefer to leave the Boat in the water. I am the Sober Bob. (not from choice)
I doubt that I would blow over the limit, but it is nice to not have to count your drinks.
On the days we are going home, I don't have a Drink, until I get home.
Sick of coming home Fishless
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Sharks definately show on sounders.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

I've heard the same Theo. Sharks don't show on a sounder in the way a fish does due to not having a swim bladder but they will show up like a mid water snag/something you can't be sure what it is.
Think we need to test this, cuddles probabley already has though
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Kaos364
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kaos364 »

I'm with cuddles on this, I saw what I am sure was a bull shark at the mouth of Tommycut last Friday... Should have screen captured it...
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

They show up well on the structure scan. These are big bull sharks on the upper East Alli.

I've also seen them schooled up inside the mouth of Browns Creek years ago on my HDS 5 on sonar. We thought they were barra but a few trolls through we were hooking bullsharks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

Fair enough guys, technology has obviously come a long way.

I used to run a top of the range furuno commercial fishing setup in the Coral Sea. Schools of massive sharks under the boat and no amount of fine tuning would pick them up. Spoke to the head tech and he explained that sharks, not having a swim bladder, would not be picked up. Obviously the technology of side scanners have changed the game.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

I've never been convinced on the 'swim bladder' theory on 'traditional' sonar. I mean, by my understanding, sonar is simply pinging a sound wave, and waiting on the return echo bounced back from whatever it hits. If there's a log mid water, soundwave hits it & bounces back to the transducer. So if it hits a fish (irrespective of swim bladder???) why wouldn't the soundwave still bounce back - I mean, it's still a 'tangible' object??
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

yep, just physics. even jellyfish bounce back a signal. same as sticks, leaves, logs branches and the bottom.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Sharks definitely show up on Sonar. Most people just can't distinguish it on traditional sonar.
Attached is a photo broken down showing what's been happening lately to a good mate of mine down south in Moreton Bay.
Nick is a Lowrance ambassador and regularly conducts on water tutorials and attends fishing stores and expos to give chats. I've fished with him for over 15 years and if he doesn't know much about sounders I don't know who does.
Using his structure scan and zoom feature it's easy to make out sharks.

Richie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mad KEEN!
ambush
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ambush »

Would be great if he came up to Darwin. Even though micheal and lindsey at In&Out are great, but am sure we could all learn a trick or two