Palmerston Lakes Fish Stocking Program

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Palmerston Lakes Fish Stocking Program

Post by Edo »

Great work to all involved. I can't wait to fish the lakes with my 3 boys :clap: :clap:

Cusack

Post by Cusack »

Does anyone know about the costs for fingerlings? Or what budget they have put aside for stocking the lakes with Mundies? Both hands down if there was a fundraiser event held, I would defently hand over $100 to go towards a fund that stocks our waterways.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

You can add lake ALEXANDER in there as well. How good would it be to have a picinic during the dry n catch a barra. Plus they should stay in there. ALL CATCH N RELEASE to maintain the stock.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Agree 100% on catch and release only in the stocked lakes. Lake Alex is no fishing I believe due to the risk of hooking a swimmer but vesteys lake could be stocked as well
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Be hard to enforce a rule but fishing barbless in these lakes would be a good thing since the intention generally is to release. Barbless hooks do less damage to fish and if a hook goes astray then at least there is no barb to sink into someones foot.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

How good could it be? Stock all the local waterways on a catch and release/barbless hooks only basis. Tristian is this an idea AFANT could push?
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Um.... Just a question. Why catch and release in what could be a put and take fishery? Flesh quality aside if you can manage population by release numbers and budgeted for fish taken by anglers as part of the overall mortality rate that increases the value of the fishery to the public and should help with ongoing stocking. Just a thought??
Regards Dick
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

This is a great idea. This site has fingerlings starting at $1.25 each. http://aquaponics.net.au/forum/threads/ ... e-now.735/
In other states, there are fish stocking societies and the govt also pay up.
Now they just need to introduce a fishing licence to cover costs. :twisted:
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Great stuff, my young feller has been fishing the lakes in Durack with his mates over the last couple of weeks, with the rain, they have pulled over 20 out I reckon, catch n release. Biggest over 80, most 60-80cm.

But I didn't tell you...lol

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... nref=story
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!