Salvage effort for boat sunk near Bateman's

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Salvage effort for boat sunk near Bateman's

Post by Scottie5.3 »

cuddlescooper wrote:Unreal effort Scottie. You have done well to get that motor cranked over again.
Mate the engine is turning over good, dropped oil numerous times hoping to only need some electronics. Even saved the starter by stripping and straight into phos acid to clean up. Looks and works like new. Haven't started yet due to needing a fuse block but fingers crossed. No water in fuel system either so things are looking good. Biggest thing will be if ecu is OK.
Couldn't have done it without the help of Pete from BH marine.

Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

smellbournian wrote:Just a quick update before some well needed sleep . . . The salvage was a success: we got the boat back to the channel point boat ramp and onto the trailer with many thanks for the efforts of all those involved with special thanks to agent 86, nomad, bell fish, wiggy, Greg and of course scotty5.3. The willingness to help out a bloke in need was humbling to say the least & None of this would have been possible without your efforts. From what I saw The Aussie spirit of lending a hand is alive and well, and i owe a great debt of gratitude to you all. Pictures and details of the salvage coming soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See if Matt wants to buy the photos for the NT mag. Help recover a little cost if it is exclusive photos ect.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Legendary effort fellas - well done
smellbournian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by smellbournian »

Scottie5.3 wrote:
cuddlescooper wrote:Unreal effort Scottie. You have done well to get that motor cranked over again.
Mate the engine is turning over good, dropped oil numerous times hoping to only need some electronics. Even saved the starter by stripping and straight into phos acid to clean up. Looks and works like new. Haven't started yet due to needing a fuse block but fingers crossed. No water in fuel system either so things are looking good. Biggest thing will be if ecu is OK.
Couldn't have done it without the help of Pete from BH marine.
amen to that Scotty: between you and Pete from BH Marine, I couldn't have had better luck in having the right blokes for the job working on my outboard. It's great peace of mind knowing she's been flushed out of all water and is again properly lubricated to prevent further degradation and it couldn't have been done sooner thanks to your quick actions and determination to get working on the motor asap despite being undoubtedly exhausted from the salvage. Thankyou

smellbournian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by smellbournian »

Agent 86: post salvage drinks sounds like a plan!

seado32
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by seado32 »

Stoked for all involved. Great story to tell and helping out a bloke in need is what its all about. Dont hear about much good these days especialy in the media but this is a news worthy story in my eyes, Put a smile on most peoples face id reckon. :clap: :clap: :clap:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

mmmm beer :cheers:

Good point Pete about selling the whole story to Matt.
A few lessons learnt by the whole experience
1. Be aware that poop can happen anytime
2. Have the proper safety gear readily available
3. If you don’t know how to do something, by all means seek advice from mates etc but the most important things is to seek advice from experts in the field that do the job for a living. Remember they will have tried everything you can think of to get the job done.
4. Plan your work and work your plan – but be flexible and then have an alternative plan
5. Remember that an anchor needs a chain to work properly :rofl:
6. When preparing to do a job, have all the right gear and then some extra spares
7. Learn to love Sikaflex
8. Allow heaps of time
9. Work the plan
10. Dragging a brick thru the water is a slow job. 8)
11. Don’t risk your life for a fish, a boat or anything else. Be safe when doing things because it turns not badly very easy :D
12. Fuel inhalation and a middle ear problem doesn’t help seasickness :rofl: :rofl:

When we hit the first mark to find no boat, my heart sank. I first thought it was on the bottom, then all the worst options came over me like it had pulled the anchor or worst of all, someone had already salvaged it.
I thought that once it was on the sandbar, the thing would settle and fill with sand – ie there would be a tonne of sand to shovel out.
Im amazed the engine is ok.
Good job done by all involved. 8) 8) 8)

mmmm beer
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

ha ha nomad

better get a new fuel filter assembly.

just very lucky I went out around the Perons and along the current line and found it again on Saturday miles from where it was anchored.
(fishing had nothing to do with that)

glad it was still floating too, and that we could tow her in without too much trouble.

Great to hear the motor should be ok and can resurrect it for another few trips :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Nomad is you ever need anything just let me know and I'll help you whenever I can cause I think I owe you and 86 a favour now.

Can't believe you kept finding it 86 but it was like it was meant to be, all in all a bl..dy good outcome. It could have gone pear shaped a few times. I personally didn't like swimming at channel point ramp... :bonk: but we are all safe and that's the main thing. Heard channel 9 is in touch with Dave too so see what happens.
Here's the first two pics off the phone rest are on the SD card.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

smellbournian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by smellbournian »

How's beers tonight sound fellas? I'm flying back to Melbourne before the weekend, so the sooner the better. Would love the chance to buy all those involved a beer or 20!

NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Good on you boys, impressive stuff!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

smellbournian wrote:How's beers tonight sound fellas? I'm flying back to Melbourne before the weekend, so the sooner the better. Would love the chance to buy all those involved a beer or 20!

so youve gone from chasing boats to chasing ..... :moon:

im in for tonight if it suits
smellbournian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by smellbournian »

Hahaha, nice one nomad!

Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

When and where Dave?

smellbournian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by smellbournian »

How about the Palmerston tavern : go for the same spot where the mission was planned!