Message from Bill Scott's family

Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Message from Bill Scott's family

Post by Melv »

A thoughtful and well balanced message from Bill's family who must still be struggling immensely with his loss. No blame, no finger pointing just a heartfelt plea about croc awareness that we should all take on board. Despite my immense respect for them I doubt very much that I'm alone in putting myself in positions over the years that, in hindsight, probably saw me tempting fate. Be it leaning over the side to grab the leader and shake off a rat (nearly got my arm bitten off at MRB doing that), reaching in to grab a lure off a snag that's just..............there, quickly bleeding/swimming a fish boat side, standing knee deep in muddy water at some remote ramp, the list is endless.

It doesn't matter if they start blowing them out of the water tomorrow, fact is in this day and age we will never again be able to shoot them to the point where we can take our safety around any waterway for granted. Like it or not that's just the way it is and we have to learn to live with that. Hopefully the Scott families plea for all of us to just be just that little bit more vigilant and cautious will be taken on board by all of us. I know I'll be changing my ways.

Cheers,

Melv
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Agree with you there Melv , after reading the Scotts family message I too
sat back and pondered some of the things I've done over the years ,some
just plain stupid.

Both you and I have a firm reminder in the case of Kevin almost being pulled
out of his boat a few years back and every time I see him I think "what If "

Yes a very well thought out message , I don't think "what if " any more
I just think ,,,when... Crocs will always be with us, time to get smarter.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I spent many years in OHS and have been trained to see the dangerous side of just about everything in life.
However, since this incident, I too have reflected on many things I have done thinking I was safe. Things like swimming a fish in a net rather than hanging over the side with the lip grip etc.
Since this happened, I have looked back at the numerous things I have done and realise that it could have been me on many occasions. As a result, I’ve changed the way I do things while near the water.
Unfortunately, it’s a fact of life up here that we will encounter crocs on a regular basis.
Whenever, I see people doing stupid things, like standing knee deep at shady, fishing from a kayak in the daly etc I shake my head thinking that it’s just a matter of time.
I changed from my 3.5m tinny to a larger boat mainly because of the extra room and comfort but safety also played a part in the decision.
Again, my condolences to the family
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

I also agree with every bit of Melv's post - except the last bit - " I know I'll be changing my ways"

Been doing the same things for over 30 years - if my number comes up next week, good luck to them.

I'm of the belief that you got MUCH MORE chance of being nailed standing at a roadside bus stop waiting
for the bus ......
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

slug wrote:I also agree with every bit of Melv's post - except the last bit - " I know I'll be changing my ways"

Been doing the same things for over 30 years - if my number comes up next week, good luck to them.

I'm of the belief that you got MUCH MORE chance of being nailed standing at a roadside bus stop waiting
for the bus ......
You obviously are in the fortunate position of having no loved ones or anyone close to you. Because if you did you wouldn't ever put them through what this family must have been through. Every time I even try to put my self in their shoes I fell sick to the stomach, being in such a helpless position, and knowing what is happening.
I agree that luck is such a massive factor in this. I don't think there is a fisho in the territory that hasn't been thinking this could have been me. But a few minor steps taken to mitigate some of these newly learnt risks could save a lot of heartache for a whole community down the track. If we fought everloution we would be still living in caves.
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

slug wrote:Been doing the same things for over 30 years - if my number comes up next week, good luck to them.
30 years ago we thought nothing of having a quick dip at Robbies sandbar after a days fishing on the Daly or wading waist deep through billabongs shooting geese and ducks that I wouldn't even put my toe in these days. Fished and swam in just about every bit of water between Humpty Doo and the Howard River too. Unfortunately those days are long gone.
slug wrote:I'm of the belief that you got MUCH MORE chance of being nailed standing at a roadside bus stop waiting
for the bus ......
Totally agree but you increase your chances dramatically if you step out onto the road...........

Was fishing MRB in the run off last year and snuck the boat in under some trees to fish a tiny trickle that was running in. The honey hole was only about 2mt square and landing a lure in it entailed leaning well over the side of the boat (4.5mt) to flick an underhand cast all of about 3mt. I plucked a couple of fish and moved on. Called back there on the way home and was just about to sneak under the trees again when 4+ mt of big black angry croc popped his head up and made it very obvious that I wasn't welcome. Followed me all the way to the middle of the river as I slowly backed away. It could well have been sitting under my boat the whole time I was there earlier in the morning and makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it again.

I will continue to fish as hard as ever but but concede that unless I change some of my behaviour I am simply tipping the odds in their favour and I'm pretty keen on fishing for a few more years yet.

:cheers:

Melv
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Too much trouble for some to leave a small memorial alone out in the wilderness ... http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern- ... 0401216e67
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Yep, there are some real oxygen thieves around. bl..dy dead s...ts
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

How sad that it comes down to this Disrespectful act. The Scott family had permission to
place the stone ,at least return the Plaque !

If you were to touch one of their Totems all hell would break lose.

Very sad indeed :fubird: