Flat Top Banks, On Leviathan 05/09/15

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Flat Top Banks, On Leviathan 05/09/15

Post by jeffish »

yeah, might re think my next trip .

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I think I will be heading south and in close so at least I can get in somewhere out of the main action so the only potential for disaster is a lightning strike. To much concentration required on the skipper to ward off death by three different pestilences at once, (water wind fire/lightning).
Jjones123
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jjones123 »

Hey AM,
what were the tides like on this trip? planning on doing a trip over the neaps in a couple of weeks.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Tides were fine it was the fish that didn't play the game. Flat top in a couple of weeks ...... hmmm that would be say mid November presumably in semi trailer able boat. Tell me do you have your affairs in order.
Jjones123
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jjones123 »

Early stages at the moment, will be watching the wind over the next week before making the call. Going in a 6.8 metre Bertram. You reckon it's too close to the storm season?
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I have a walk round rebel platey almost 9 meters overall length with twin engines and early to mid October is the end of it for me out there. October 25 2013 @430am it all nearly came to an end out there for us 45knt winds for say 40 mins sea capping up sloping over the bow while we tried to hold the nose into it. Side pocket deep down the back at times with the scuppers open. Only time we have deployed the life jackets in my career so yes I think it's too close to the storm season. We are in it and when they come they will have catching up to do so 130 out and 110 from nearest rocky cliff isn't my pick but that's just way I roll you might get away with it.
Jjones123
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jjones123 »

poop, not my idea of a good time!!
Maybe be we have left it too late, we've been putting it off waiting for the arvo see breeze to slow as we're planing on leaving dundee in the evening but it's not happened.
Thanks for your advice mate, we may have to revert to a plan B and go a bit closer.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

It been a funny year this wind should be long gone and the doldrums upon us my feeling is when the storms start to roll through they will have some catching up to do. For me it's just not worth I made some deals that saw us get through last time that I intend to honour. It's a terrible feeling seeing it coming for 3 hours right across the 180 degrees of the horizon that you have to go to get home I can assure you. Nowhere to go nowhere to hide.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Getting soft Andy

Yeah that wouldn't be my idea of fun either, and as you said the weather and wind this year has been a bit strange, put a dampener on a few of my trips for sure, and I haven't been out that far yet, might try going further north instead, past the Tiwis, hasn't been as bad up that way from what I've seen.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

That is a spot for the under 50's I have decided Dennis.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Cmon Andy ,thought you'd brave the banks
1 more time before heading SE....
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

have to at least get to the Perons for a trip :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Going to do the Moyle shortly at least once more maybe twice if its OK that's for sure but FTB , not a poop show in hell in November this or any other year.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Ok, just let me know when

cheers

Heading to the Tiwis for the first weekend in November :-)