charter business

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: charter business

Post by Matt Flynn »

With so many areas now net free, NT barramundi and inshore fishing is better than ever, keeping in mind the vagaries of the seasons. Just need a cracker wet season and there may be some of the best barramundi fishing in living memory.

Questions have been raised about reef fish stocks near Darwin, but I've seen the same, if not more, big goldie photos the past year than for years previously. And plenty of big jewies.

The mackerel season appears to have been very good. Mud crabs a bit quieter this year, but last year was a cracker.

Interestingly, the spearos never seem to have trouble finding good fish on Darwin wrecks and reefs.

Agree that fishing guides have to work hard.

Obsession will likely be snapped up given the business's excellent track record.

trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

This thread has turned to gold thanks obsession for clearing up the rumors cheers
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Obsession has a great reputation and Justin has always been a gentleman on the water. Bumped into justin and his punters a few times in some tight spots at shady and the daly and during the classic a few years ago. Always a smile and a Gday. Good luck in NZ and I'm sure your business will sell easily.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

no doubt Obsession is one of the best if not the best out there.

Goodwill in a business purchase is always a hard one though. Especially in this case as the source of the goodwill is going to New Zealand.
Obsession Fishing
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Obsession Fishing »

Cheers Maxpower for the kind words, I have all ways tried to be as friendly and courteous on the water, and I guess sometimes I look a little bit grumpy but that comes with the job, it can get a little frustrating at times.
Looking forward to a new adventure in NZ.
Obsession Fishing
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Goodwill is always important ghound, I didn't start Obsession Fishing, Braden Menzies did, and he ran a successful charter business which I took over, and obviously I had big shoes to fill.
And I had to work hard to gain and carry on that goodwill, which over time will come to who ever takes over from and I'm sure they will do the same, and I will do my best to show them the ropes to make it a lot easier for them.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

good on ya Justin! I hope it all goes well.
I'm sure the Local Barra population will all breath a sigh of relief!
Obsession Fishing
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I agree with you Matt, the Barra industry and inshore sportsfishing is looking great, Bynoe Harbour and Darwin Harbour are fishing better than ever and Shady Camp had one of its best seasons even with a dud wet. The net closures have definitely improved the fish stocks in these areas, and the by catch - Threadfin Salmon, Queenfish and Trevally are certainly a lot more prolific, and like you said we just need a cracking wet season and things could go gangbusters.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I will say Justin that I stand corrected in the statement that it would be cheaper to start a business from scratch. I only say this because it would NOW be nearly impossible to do with the FTO situation as I was correctly reminded by NathanL. The only way to get a licence now is to buy an existing business (it is for this reason that a lot of people are now trying to get out of the game) and another bonus for yourself! As for buying a new 200 series and a 6.3m boat ect I don't think you would need to start with all the bells and whistles ect in the past to start a good business. You could have started it cheaper with a earlier model car and boat ect IMO. Of course survey is the expensive and important bit in it all and it would take a while to find a survey vessel at the right price but it could be done. I know of a couple of 6m boats that went recently for 50k. I seriously thought about grabbing one.

As for good will, well yes you and River and Reef do have good reps and may sell quickly but there are a few on that list that don't have so much of it! It is a firm belief of mine that MOST.......the words I used, won't sell that well.

And River and Reef would be a good business for an existing charter company to buy to take out the possibility of more competition in the future by getting the FTO if it was bought at the right price!
Obsession Fishing
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

[quote="cuddlescooper"
It would be crazy to buy a charter buisness. It would be cheaper and easier to start your own from scratch![/quote]

Mate you are basically calling me crazy because I bought a charter business, and any future buyer interested in my business crazy...
I have done well out of my business, I don't see how that is crazy...
Obsession Fishing
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

ghound wrote:good on ya Justin! I hope it all goes well.
I'm sure the Local Barra population will all breath a sigh of relief!

Cheers Mate.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

After our effort on the weekend it might be worth considering this operation for your new venture "ghound's blue water day care and tricky tours" bigger boat your might get the six little bums on seats in that rig!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

There are a few charter skippers who I consider a gentleman on the water. Always throwing a smile and a wave. And Justin, you are one of them.

There are also dead set a few bad apples. I chatted to one (no names) a lot over social media and introduced myself one day at the Dundee ramp. bl..dy spoke to me as if I stole his last piece of vegemite toast

Oh, is big Trev putting out 'expressions of interest' for the spare seat in the Nats/Classic? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Obsession Fishing wrote:[quote="cuddlescooper"
It would be crazy to buy a charter buisness. It would be cheaper and easier to start your own from scratch!

Mate you are basically calling me crazy because I bought a charter business, and any future buyer interested in my business crazy...
I have done well out of my business, I don't see how that is crazy...[/quote]

Mate I know you have done well enough out of your business. I also know you would have put a hell of a lot of hours into it as well. I just hope you can find someone with as much patience, people skills, fishing knowledge and passion as you had to continue on the obsession Safaris name because that's what it takes for someone to make it in that game at the moment. It ain't all beer and skittles is all I was saying and many have found that out pretty quick. I have seen many fishing charter business's sold off by people who knew the industry well and the new owners have more than struggled because they haven't had the local knowledge. They have bought it thinking it's easy money, but it ain't as you would know. You still have to find fish, keep clients happy, a boat and car running and not spend hours stuck on the Finniss river mud flat!

I know you are upset with my comments because you plan to sell up and that's fair enough but I too am entitled to my opinion which I voiced. For what it's worth Your business would be one of the easiest to take over as the foundations are good starting back with Braden and continued on with yourself. The barra fishery is improving unlike the bluewater fishing IMO but as I said unless the new owner works it out pretty quick and has a lot of fishing and people passion it is a hard industry to be successful in straight off the bat.

On a positive at least they have finally capped the FTO's making them worth some thing and hopefully it will weed out a lot of the half hearted harry's and make the industry better for all. Also the opening of Shady will make it easier for guides to stay financial during the wet as it offers another reasonably easy fishing option for that time of year.

I still wouldn't be getting back into the game in a hurry is still my opinion.

Any way Best of luck with future endevors and congratulations on being one of the successful ones.
BarraBase
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBase »

Lats wrote:There are a few charter skippers who I consider a gentleman on the water. Always throwing a smile and a wave. And Justin, you are one of them.

There are also dead set a few bad apples. I chatted to one (no names) a lot over social media and introduced myself one day at the Dundee ramp. bl..dy spoke to me as if I stole his last piece of vegemite toast

Oh, is big Trev putting out 'expressions of interest' for the spare seat in the Nats/Classic? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I like my vegemite toast and the last bit is the best.
see trev put on FB that he has pulled the pin and on his last few charters and boat for sale.
To all the guys moving on to new part of your lives all the best, you have great bunch of guides to work around and proud to call some of you mates :drinking3: :drinking3:
Views expressed on this website are those of individuals and do not reflect the opinions of the website owner, or its operators, or other website users