Casuarina Coastal Reserve Daft Management Plan 2015

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Casuarina Coastal Reserve Daft Management Plan 2015

Post by tristan.sloan »

AFANT recently provided comment on the 2015 Casuarina Coastal Reserve Draft Management Plan including the Buffalo Creek Boat Ramp. You can view our submission on the link below.

http://afant.com.au/casuarina-coastal-r ... plan-2015/

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Casuarina Coastal Reserve Daft Management Plan 2015

Post by dannett »

A problem I regularly encounter at the ramp is the lack of available parking facilities since the enclosed area has cut off the once free trailer boat parking area. Given the the tidal access restrictions of the creek it is often necessary to launch and retrieve outside of the nominal caretaker hours (7 am-7 pm I believe). The current parking arrangement leaves a lot to be desired requiring vehicles to be backed into the bush land (and mud during the wet). Given the narrow road and the obstacles it is difficult at times to maneuver and park between markings which can compound the problem further.
rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by rossco »

If anyone thinks that the introduction of CCTV at Buffalo Creek and closing the current secure compound will deter thieves / vandals then think again. That is unless they ban the sale of hoodies and balaclavas in the NT. We all know people who are intent on thieving don't drive up in their car to do the job and to get their car on CCTV. If they do it is most likely one that they have borrowed! They do it by foot from up the road. I have been around long enough to have seen the cr.p that happened down at Buffalo in years gone by..

If you think the opening hours of the compound are unsuitable have a talk to Ray about alternative arrangements. I have and can launch in the early hours without worry about my car and trailer. What is an extra $5 or whatever to know your vehicle and trailer are safe from scum! Remember this. 1 roller on your trailer is probably $20 and a winch and post is around $100.

For the love of me I cannot figure why people are so tight as to not pay the equivalent of a meat pie and an iced coffee to know that when they come back to the ramp they can actually retrieve their boat and drive home.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Dannett, we have addressed those issues in this submission and funds are being allocated to improve parking spaces, install cctv and widen the turning bay.

Rossco, we will continue to advocate for the caretaker and secure compound to remain at Buffalo Creek.