Jewfish at Channel point

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Jewfish at Channel point

Post by AM »

mickkk wrote:
Am is right, still idiots like me that don't get them haha, but only been there twice, once I didn't bother fishing at night, and didn't really target them, but the first time I went that's all I was targeting. Got nothing but sharks. But I think I was fishing too deep.
I do think this needs to be one of the major focuse for afant. Would be good to hear from Tristan to see what afants position is.
As an aside to the bag limit discussion, way back before the topic morphed there were a few calls for clarification of AFANTS position on the loophole left albeit inadertey, for commercial operators at channel point. Now the channel of communication is open it would still be nice to get that detail Tristan.

tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Just to clarify guys the Chanel point jewfish ledge was looked at as a closure zone by NT fisheries but it was decided that there only needed to be a 20% reduction in jewfish catches for the fishery to remain sustainable so it was decided to leave it as is and just stick with the current closure zones.

The Chanel point jewfish ledge is a very popular and accessible fishing location for recreational fishermen and while making it a declared sanctuary zone would lock out commercial fishermen it would also lock out the recreational fishermen.

The science shows that once a aggregation collapses it is unlikely to return so the NT DFPI closely monitors the log books and average lengths of jewfish caught by the commercial sector on known aggregations . Jewfish is identified as an at risk species so once the average size being caught starts to decline, a key indicator of collapse, NT fisheries would step in and implement further management restrictions to ensure the aggregation and fishery remains sustainable.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Righto, now I get it "NT DFPI closely monitors the log books and average lengths of jewfish caught by the commercial sector on known aggregations." so we are taking advice from the inmates on the viability or not of the asylum now. You beauty.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Yes, and the fishery with the hardest fishing pressure stays open yet the ones miles away from any where get closed! Go figure??

Close all the wide grounds and force the pro's into our back yard. Makes a whole lot of sense.....Not!
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

cuddlescooper wrote:Yes, and the fishery with the hardest fishing pressure stays open yet the ones miles away from any where get closed! Go figure??

Close all the wide grounds and force the pro's into our back yard. Makes a whole lot of sense.....Not!
AM wrote:Righto, now I get it "NT DFPI closely monitors the log books and average lengths of jewfish caught by the commercial sector on known aggregations." so we are taking advice from the inmates on the viability or not of the asylum now. You beauty.
Couldn't have put it any better Pete.....and you crack me up Andy, what a great system they have put in place there .....yer right.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

If old mate Micheal Gunner came out and said he was going to abolish AFANT he would get a ticket tape parade as they carried him into office!!.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

AM, this is the TAC or quota system used in almost every commercial fishery in Australia for monitoring of fisheries health and sustainability. Myself and every fisheries scientist in Australia would be happy to adopt a better method if you know of one?

Guys, all these closures must be based on science and they were approved by both the RFAC and industry. AFANT is always happy to listen to the concerns of recreational fishermen. If anyone can suggest a sensible science based and achievable solution to this problem I am happy to represent it to government.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Keep your shirt on, I am just saying that's all, if the people doing the harvesting for a living finally tell you it's not worth their time and costs to do it any more so they aren't going to bother well then clearly its time to lock the amateurs out as well ..... might be a bit late then, thats all. From this thread surely it's obvious many would rather see some action before then.
After all the mozzies are shocking in there anyway of a night.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

The fish are so predictable. Make it a seasonal closure for that set of neap tides. When the fish spawn close it off. Give them a chance to do there thing then open it all back up. Doesn't seem that hard to me. They do a simular thing in QLD for spawning agrigations. After all there should be 20 years of data for that area??????
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

cuddlescooper wrote: They do a simular thing in QLD for spawning agrigations. After all there should be 20 years of data for that area??????
And in Cockburn Sound (Perth) for the pink snapper aggregation over Xmas time ....
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

AM wrote:
Try it this way 5 on vessel and they start fishing, go straight to the division 3 table, lets start at the top for clarity, they can put in their esky 8 jewfish, AND 20 cod, AND 20, coral trout AND 12 goldies, AND 12 mangrove jack, BUT only 3 of the allowable 20 red emperor to take them to a total of 75 fish or 15 fish each which is the new general possession limit, but all their catch is from division 3. Where do they say "4 times "anywhere in the act they just give numbers of different species where does the act compell you have any division 2 fish if you can get the general possession limit without exceeding any individual speices limits from division 3 table.
Although currently the department is partially under a bit of dark cloud of scorn with their political masters. On a positive an emailed responce has been received from the fisheries department confirming no standing laws or regulations are broken in the above hypothetical example. So the loophole that I consider was created for the charter boys is indeed applicable to amateurs who are in the habit of taking over 4 on board for longer trips ( I would think very few really, definitely not me anyway even 4 is a boatfull).
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

slug wrote:
cuddlescooper wrote: They do a simular thing in QLD for spawning agrigations. After all there should be 20 years of data for that area??????
And in Cockburn Sound (Perth) for the pink snapper aggregation over Xmas time ....
cuddlescooper wrote:The fish are so predictable. Make it a seasonal closure for that set of neap tides. When the fish spawn close it off. Give them a chance to do there thing then open it all back up. Doesn't seem that hard to me. They do a simular thing in QLD for spawning agrigations. After all there should be 20 years of data for that area??????
Murray Cod seasonal closure for spawning has been a great success....was hard to get a size Cod 20 year ago, now it is easy in most decent waters, and improving where it is policed....wouldnt think there was much need to scientifically work that out, not having a go either at AFANT at all.
As for the pros smacking Channel Point, it seems fairly short sighted and can't last...the very best career pro fishermen farm their areas , thats why they are still going strong, and making a good quid out of very hard work...
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Problem with that theory is Craig they aren't doing it for a living, for money yes. The amount they report catching is not enough for an income fisheries confided that the ones with the history are just in it a a lifestyle thing that is a dangerous situation.