Jewfish at Channel point

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Jewfish at Channel point

Post by Lats »

Well, I have been doing my best to boost the Jewfish stocks this year. Haven't caught a single bl..dy fish :lol:

Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Get to th narrows mate
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Peter you have had me thinking hard on this issue and I see no indication in the recent fisheries act changes that the loop hole they created for the charter boys doesn’t apply to amateur vessels as well i.e. 6 people on board can take 90 fish 6 x general personal possession limit which would be made up made up of 60 at risk species PLUS another 30 fish on the not at risk list. This other 30 could potentially include say Spanish macks, red snapper any of the job fish or if you are Hemi some dolphin fish, if you’re out wide) mindful of there individual personal possession bag limits . Substitute Barra or any of the salmons or if you in a remote estuary situation.

As an example
“5 amateurs go out on a two day wide private fishing trip they can keep maximum of 75 fish (5 x general personal possession limit) of which, 60 can be at risk species specified the remaining 15 fish can be made up of any combination of say 10 Spanish Mackerel, 50 red snapper combo, 25 gold band snapper/ rosy job fish, or green job fish, or dolphin fish etc etc, but no more than 5 each of any one type”.

“If 15 amateurs go out on a licenced charter they can get 225 fish (15 x the general personal possession limit), of which 120 can be at risk species, the remaining 105 fish can be made up of any combination of say 30 Spanish Mackerel, 150 red snapper combo, 75 gold band snapper/ rosy job fish, or green job fish, or dolphin fish etc etc, but no more than 5 each of any one type”

To be perfectly honest It won’t change much for me as besides not taking more than 4 on the boat anyway I wouldn’t want that many macks in a fit, and don’t fish wide enough for job or dolphin fish, though maybe those red snapper might be welcome on a hard bite at FTB for a boat full of people rather than letting them float off. Just reaffirms that they compound the issue to look after one sector over another and what should be easy became very very complex. From what I read Division 3 (dealing with vessel limit at risk) has effect despite division 2 (dealing with general possession limit 15), however division 3 doesn’t mention any of the 15 each non at risk species covered in the division 2 thus you need to comply with division 2 whilst not exceeding the additional controls in division 3.

I am not on face book so can’t get a determination off there I will give it a day or two and see if they see it on here as they have updated me direct on things raised on here before, if not I will email fisheries direct and ask for an interpretation.
Failing that I am sure ronge will know.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Re: the Channel Point pillaging. I see Tristian Sloan has been on the site today, but no comments on this thread yet?
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

probably getting the CLP proof reader to go over it first
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I think we better go and check it out jimmy I heard a rumour there is a few straggler cockroaches left alive down there.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

scottmac wrote:Re: the Channel Point pillaging. I see Tristian Sloan has been on the site today, but no comments on this thread yet?
Naturally afant and Tristan would be as disappointed with the situation as the rest of us Scott ,assuming reports are correct equally I am sure they has the best intentions but a great loophole opened when the entire suite of reforms weren't implemented simultaneously making the effect even worse than expected down there, again assuming the info is accurate.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I think the regulations will have a big change as there bag limit of at risk species is 120 fish. 8 x the bag limit. I think they will struggle to catch fish that will effect inshore waters and make up the remaining 105 fish for the total allowed bag limit. Sure they are still killing a huge number of fish but the offshore reefs don't have a huge affect on the inshore species and grounds.

In the past with 15 on board a charter could take 75 goldies. Now it is 24.

Jewies go from 15 x 2= 30 to 8 x 2 =16

5 x 8=40 of any of the other species.

This means they will have to target more jobfish ect and not as many of the inshore species. I don't mind the result as long as you have good skippers that can target the not at risk species and don't just sit on a spot killing fish for no reason.
Last edited by cuddlescooper on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

225 is for a charter boat with 15 on board 15 x 15 whole thing is easy to misread even the fisheries act not sure if I have got it right.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Calculations for 15 persons on board.

You were right. Its 8 x table 2 fish (at risk species) =120 total maximum for any boat.

120 at risk plus 105 not at risk species.

15 x 15=225. is the over all bag limit of non at risk species and at risk species total. So over all they can still take a full vessel bag limit but have to reduce numbers of at risk.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

AM wrote:Peter you have had me thinking hard on this issue and I see no indication in the recent fisheries act changes that the loop hole they created for the charter boys doesn’t apply to amateur vessels as well i.e. 6 people on board can take 90 fish 6 x general personal possession limit which would be made up made up of 60 at risk species PLUS another 30 fish on the not at risk list. This other 30 could potentially include say Spanish macks, red snapper any of the job fish or if you are Hemi some dolphin fish, if you’re out wide) mindful of there individual personal possession bag limits . Substitute Barra or any of the salmons or if you in a remote estuary situation.

As an example
“5 amateurs go out on a two day wide private fishing trip they can keep maximum of 75 fish (5 x general personal possession limit) of which, 60 can be at risk species specified the remaining 15 fish can be made up of any combination of say 10 Spanish Mackerel, 50 red snapper combo, 25 gold band snapper/ rosy job fish, or green job fish, or dolphin fish etc etc, but no more than 5 each of any one type”.

“If 15 amateurs go out on a licenced charter they can get 225 fish (15 x the general personal possession limit), of which 120 can be at risk species, the remaining 105 fish can be made up of any combination of say 30 Spanish Mackerel, 150 red snapper combo, 75 gold band snapper/ rosy job fish, or green job fish, or dolphin fish etc etc, but no more than 5 each of any one type”

To be perfectly honest It won’t change much for me as besides not taking more than 4 on the boat anyway I wouldn’t want that many macks in a fit, and don’t fish wide enough for job or dolphin fish, though maybe those red snapper might be welcome on a hard bite at FTB for a boat full of people rather than letting them float off. Just reaffirms that they compound the issue to look after one sector over another and what should be easy became very very complex. From what I read Division 3 (dealing with vessel limit at risk) has effect despite division 2 (dealing with general possession limit 15), however division 3 doesn’t mention any of the 15 each non at risk species covered in the division 2 thus you need to comply with division 2 whilst not exceeding the additional controls in division 3.

I am not on face book so can’t get a determination off there I will give it a day or two and see if they see it on here as they have updated me direct on things raised on here before, if not I will email fisheries direct and ask for an interpretation.
Failing that I am sure ronge will know.
Still looking at this. Re read division 3 of the act a dozen times fisheries put forward that it is as easy as 5 to 7 on board can take 4 times the general position limit of at risk ( div3). Take a look at division 3 it doesn't mention "4 times" anywhere it lists numbered of species eg 8 Jews 20 cod 20 trout 12 gden snapper 12 mangrove jacks and so on right through the table.
Having read again I can't see that a boat load of 5 amateurs can't have their 75 fish 15x15 of which all can be at risk say potentially 8 Jews, 12 snapper, 10 trout, 20 trickies, 10 tusk fish, 10 red emporer, and 5 stripy snapper or any combination as long as they don't have more of anything on the division 3 table than is so described in that table nothing in there I can see that says 4 times the limit cumulatively. Not sure I would like to be the test case but just saying have a read of this and see what you think.
http://notes.nt.gov.au/dcm/legislat/leg ... egulations
Last edited by AM on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

All this maths is hurting my head :bonk:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Just stick with goldies i think Jeff :D
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

And it all used to be so easy - we've just got as bad as the clown's in the West!!!
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

AM wrote:I think we better go and check it out jimmy I heard a rumour there is a few straggler cockroaches left alive down there.
They will have to wait jimmy sorry but I have misplaced my rosary beads.