Jewfish at Channel point

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Jewfish at Channel point

Post by AM »

I still agree peter but there are a lot of candidates that it won't mater how close to the spot they get or how often they will be no idea or to pizzad to do any harm. If breeding was as easy for jew and and goldies as it seems to be for idiots it would be problem solved

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

cuddlescooper wrote:
AM wrote:Peter I think you are ask you are also correct aside from the numbers that they use against us are bullshit derived from flawed phone surveys multiplied by people on the water. The data is rubbish less than 3 % of peoe get their bag limit that go fishing and that number would be falling looking at the experience level on the water
Hmmm, maybe but technology is taking a lot out of the guess work now days and any stemi with no idea can now catch fish when given a GPS and a mark. Marks are cheap these days. Not like the past where time on the water was the only way to find grounds.

Either way the whole point in my view is the sheer numbers of fish taken off one mark in a short period of time. If 6 pro boats puled 100 fish a night for 4 nights it equals 2400 fish. How big are the schools of fish??? How long can those numbers last???

It would take 1200 people to bag out off that spot to do the same damage! Those numbers aren't gonna happen in 4 days. :roll:

On another point imagine if those 2400 fish were allowed to spawn. Now I don't know the percentage of male and female fish and I don't know how many eggs each fish will lay but if its like other fish I would suggest 100,000's of thousand's per fish. Think off the immediate difference each year if they were allowed to spawn in peace!
Am is right, still idiots like me that don't get them haha, but only been there twice, once I didn't bother fishing at night, and didn't really target them, but the first time I went that's all I was targeting. Got nothing but sharks. But I think I was fishing too deep.
I do think this needs to be one of the major focuse for afant. Would be good to hear from Tristan to see what afants position is.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

It would be interesting to hear that position now I agree. Now that is that there seems to be a great hole blasted in the logic of the closed areas developed in the fish rescue plan. In the lead up my recollection of the sell on the package was that fisheries came up with it in close conjunction with stakeholders including afant. At the afant meeting the fisheries spin was that the jewfish only needed a minor reduction and the fall out from the snapper closures this tweek would easily ensure survival (unless you were a jew fish that had a hang out on the channel point ledge I suppose), good job . Immediate escalation by all sectors on the channel point aggregation has been predicted many times on here in these discussion threats going back 3 or 4 years along with a focus on the closer ares out of the harbour, IMO that wl be next. Still, they are looking at the big picture and must have been prepared to accept the depletion and potential collapse down there, it is hard to draw any other conclusion. It seems like a giant go bad to me and to be honest I think it reflects a few areas in the plan where the innocent will indeed suffer the guilty. The rescue focus should have been about spreading the effort not concentrating it. It's only early days yet in the first month but not a good look or start for fish for the future brigade and for mine afant sit or at least sat on the same side of the table as the law makers on this one.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

People throw a hell of a lot of faith behind AFANT ie it would be really good to hear their position.
The unfortunate reality is that AFANT is basically made up of nuff nuffs and tryhards with no real idea.
I know I know I should join AFANT if I want to whinge. But seriously there seems to be a pretty big problem with the fishery at the moment. AFANT whilst trying to bolster their political position have thrown us under the bus. Remembering this is supposed to be an A political party they spend a fair bit of time slumming with Gilesy and co.

Recreational fisherman have in a sense cut there own throat or had it cut by AFANT. In the mean time commercial and charter operators continue to unsustainably harvest a resource they put nothing into.

The next person to say they want to hear AFANT's point of view should be tarred and feathered in the street.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

ghound wrote:People throw a hell of a lot of faith behind AFANT ie it would be really good to hear their position.
The unfortunate reality is that AFANT is basically made up of nuff nuffs and tryhards with no real idea.
I know I know I should join AFANT if I want to whinge. But seriously there seems to be a pretty big problem with the fishery at the moment. AFANT whilst trying to bolster their political position have thrown us under the bus. Remembering this is supposed to be an A political party they spend a fair bit of time slumming with Gilesy and co.

Recreational fisherman have in a sense cut there own throat or had it cut by AFANT. In the mean time commercial and charter operators continue to unsustainably harvest a resource they put nothing into.

The next person to say they want to hear AFANT's point of view should be tarred and feathered in the street.
All well and good to say that, but you have not put forward an alternate solution, a different pathway to try to get a resolution to this problem
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Robert Hope »

Best thing is to leave the NT after some 24 odd years of living here. The currnet fishing rules have stuffed it up. I dont mind size limits and closed areas, the current boat limits on specified species are a joke. Dont worry about doing extended trips for 2 days and over because you will be breaking the limit bringing your fish home. who is going fishing way beyond Tiwi or to FTB to catch just 15 fish not to mention the higher numbers of dead fish thrown away because of what is currently in place.

The places that I once fished are no where near as good as once was sure we need rules, we need to police the whole industry better, you will all winge but boat regos and licencing will kurb some idiots

Dont worry about the CLP they will be brushed asaide next election......
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Pathways hmmmm

I haven't been back through the many many post on the subject that have been made but.

A full closure of a well known and easily accessible aggregation like Channel point would have been a good start.

Not pandering to a vocal minority with deep pockets that live out there might have been smart (although that seems to have backfired.)

Not have a pretend boat limit for charter boats so they can continue the rape and pillage.

Don't bring in restrictions on fish numbers that do nothing other than push fishing pressure closer to Darwin, encourage up grading etc.

Don't have the "voice" of rec fisherman being so far up the arse of the CLP they can barely draw breath.

My thought is an always has been that they should have rolling closure zones ie Close from PortkeatsChannel Point for 12 months then channel point to Bynoe harbor the next twelve then Bynoe to CapeHotham for 12 then cape Hotham to Coburg for 12 and then repeat. Can't back that up with any scientific fact but surely killing no fish in an area is better than having a limit in place which still see's a lot of fish killed for no reason.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Robert Hope wrote:Best thing is to leave the NT after some 24 odd years of living here. The currnet fishing rules have stuffed it up. I dont mind size limits and closed areas, the current boat limits on specified species are a joke. Dont worry about doing extended trips for 2 days and over because you will be breaking the limit bringing your fish home. who is going fishing way beyond Tiwi or to FTB to catch just 15 fish not to mention the higher numbers of dead fish thrown away because of what is currently in place.

The places that I once fished are no where near as good as once was sure we need rules, we need to police the whole industry better, you will all winge but boat regos and licencing will kurb some idiots

Sorry Robert but the line from the management team in the interview I had with them and at the afant meeting was that there is no place any more for such expectations of economic value put on effort invested on extended trip by the amateur fisho in a private boat to FTB or beyond Tiwi. No place that is unless that amateur fisho were to pay go on extended charter operation with 15 mates whereupon it is quite OK for them to have the expectation get a return on their investment and that they can bring home a different limit to if they went on there own boat with 5 or 6 of them on board. Come on they are fish managers not public relations managers.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Robert Hope wrote:Best thing is to leave the NT after some 24 odd years of living here. The currnet fishing rules have stuffed it up. I dont mind size limits and closed areas, the current boat limits on specified species are a joke. Dont worry about doing extended trips for 2 days and over because you will be breaking the limit bringing your fish home. who is going fishing way beyond Tiwi or to FTB to catch just 15 fish not to mention the higher numbers of dead fish thrown away because of what is currently in place.

Hello, knock knock, any one home. Have you thought why the grounds you fished are no longer as good as they used to be?????????

I don't know in what realm you think 15 fish per person is not enough. I fished Dundee twice last week and on neither occasion did I reach my 4 person bag limit (Got very close on both occasions). I did how ever fill my esky to the point I couldn't close it. I will say the 10 redfish total and 3 of any one species of redfish per person limit is a challenge and I can see a lot of these floating away dead. I would have preffered to see this stay at the 15 fish per person general limit as you generally have to fish pretty wide to get good numbers of redfish ( that is all you get out there generally and in huge schools when found).

My point is 15 fish is a lot of fish. You Just have to be more selective on the ground you fish and what you target.

Oh and where in Australia are you gonna move to????? The NT has the most relaxed fishing laws in Australia. Good luck with that one. lol
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

AM wrote:

Sorry Robert but the line from the management team in the interview I had with them and at the afant meeting was that there is no place any more for such expectations of economic value put on effort invested on extended trip by the amateur fisho in a private boat to FTB or beyond Tiwi. No place that is unless that amateur fisho were to pay go on extended charter operation with 15 mates whereupon it is quite OK for them to have the expectation get a return on their investment and that they can bring home a different limit to if they went on there own boat with 5 or 6 of them on board. Come on they are fish managers not public relations managers.
Im pretty sure that 15 on board can only take the bag limit of 8 people. Or am I wrong?
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I think you a wrong pete for the charter boats the 8 times it relates only to "at risk " if they are wide they can make the bag up the 15 times the limit of non at risk species this is the way the charts worked at the afant meeting which just blew me away. The reported having to consider the customers perception of if paying for a charter was economically viable to go wide for days at time hence the avimit with 15 on board is 225 inclusive of the 8 times the at risk fish limit. Ask them Peter but that's what I took from the meeting.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

AM wrote:I think you a wrong pete for the charter boats the 8 times it relates only to "at risk " if they are wide they can make the bag up the 15 times the limit of non at risk species this is the way the charts worked at the afant meeting which just blew me away. The reported having to consider the customers perception of if paying for a charter was economically viable to go wide for days at time hence the avimit with 15 on board is 225 inclusive of the 8 times the at risk fish limit. Ask them Peter but that's what I took from the meeting.
I guess this still isn't a bad out come as most of the AT RISK species are the ones that affect the local fishing grounds. You won't see a big variety of NON AT RISK species near Darwin. I do see the problem of bad skippers trying to catch NON AT RISK species and throwing back a lot of floating dead AT RISK SPECIES as by catch.

The 1 and 2 day charter operators will all have to cut back there catch from what it previously was allowed. It will still equal a whole poop pile of fish though!
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Don't agree there no beef with new amateur vessel limit but the charter customers are amateurs too should be the same limit. The 8 and over is included for charter boats plain simple not many privat boats take 10 or more.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

AM wrote:Don't agree there no beef with new amateur vessel limit but the charter customers are amateurs too should be the same limit. The 8 and over is included for charter boats plain simple not many privat boats take 10 or more.
Yes and I don't see a lot of charter vessels doing extended trips with more than 10 either. I guess it wont change much when I really think about it.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

It's the principal of the thing I met the new limits and made changes, they should have the same rules I knew we couldn't keep agreeing all the time. :D