Lowrance/Simrad/Navico Mapping Data Ownership ??

smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Lowrance/Simrad/Navico Mapping Data Ownership ??

Post by smed »

I'm soon to be in the market to replace my finder plotter combo (hello & goodbye tax return). I went around to a couple of the local outlets to have a look at some gear & initially had my mind made up on a Simrad unit. As an after-thought I decided to check what Humminbird had that was comparable.
One of the selling points that the Humminbird rep had was the ownership of the mapping data. If I've got him right, with Navico gear, your mapping data is uploaded to their site to transfer back to your unit. He stated that after two years Navico takes ownership of your mapping data to add to their charts.
A key marketing point of the Humminbird unit includes,"No need to submit your data and wait weeks for a finished chart. Autochart does it in just three simple steps- and your data is kept private, so your competition is none the wiser."(Humminbird 2014 brochure,p.12) The three steps include; (a) Recording Data, (b)Converting Data to you PC (Autochart SD card) & (c) Export Data back to your unit.
I would imagine that if you are taking the time to map an area you are doing it in the belief that the area is going to be productive. I'm a little unsure if I want to take the time to map an area with the knowledge that it is soon to be shared with any number of other vessels. If correct, I'd be basically giving away my waypoints.
Selfish??
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with mapping & data ownership with Navico gear?

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Lowrance/Simrad/Navico Mapping Data Ownership ??

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, not much good if you have a secret wreck or bommie in your data.

My suggestion is find a copy of Dr Depth software (no longer officially on sale) or something similar. Undersee Explorer might be worth a look. Get yourself a secondhand Panasonic Tough Book laptop (water and knock resistant), connect it to your sounder, or input data via the card, and away you go.

Been doing this for years, works well. Glad I got Dr Depth before it was sold off.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

The hummingbird product is a commercial online version of DrDepth. Another option is www.ReefMaster.com.au which is very good.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Can Reefmaster or Dr Depth and a computer do live mapping like the new Humminbird units?
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Mako, Reefmaster can though it supports the Lowrance product a whole lot better.