Hard Going on the fresh

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Hard Going on the fresh

Post by Shane Doevy »

Had a visitor from down south who is a bit of a gun cod fisherman staying at my place for the last week and with my big boat off the road with some lights issues i decided to do the rounds of a few fresh water holes to see if i could get him connected to a barra.
First cab off the rank was Shady Fresh - arrived out there with the tide just peaking and mobs of people all over the barrage. Worked the place over for a few tarpon hooked and long range released which was entertaining but a lot of casting and trolling for no result. Saw a few fish caught at the barrage when we did a quick flick before we left but it was quiet - water temps were good - up around 29 degrees and some fish showing on the finder but nothing would look at any of the lures we dragged or cast past them. So with a shattered tyre we headed home with our tails between our legs.
Late start next day to hit the tyre shop - didnt want to tempt fate by heading out without a spare. Took a run to Finniss Fresh and it looked the goods - nice water temps again and plenty of good archs showing on the finder whilst on the troll but nothing playing - did manage one rat off a snag pile in deep water down at the three ways with a few others hitting lures but not connecting - well at least we saw one.
Yesterday saw us doing he long run to the East to throw the tinny in on the down stream side of Cahills to flick at the snags until the tide started to push - finally managed to get my mate onto one of his own - not a monster but his first barra none the less - at one stage we were both hooking rats a fish a cast and then the tide started to push so we made our way back to the crossing and tied up to what i hoped would be a bit of a hot bite. The fish did come on but only for a very short time - My ate snagged three quick fish - best went 52 so no legals but at least he knows what they look like and can say he managed a barra - maybe he will be back another time to get a big one.
Lots of kms travelled - plenty of countryside seen and a few fish although no size among them - did the croc park thing today and they are on there way back to a dreary Victoria but pretty sure they had a great time.

Think its going to be a tough year in the fresh this year.

Cheers

Shane

Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Hard Going on the fresh

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good to see you out there again Shane.

Got a coupla emails back from the Flyrodders re Corroboree - tonnes of weed, almost no baz. But tarpon and togas are there.
2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

Thanks for the report, was thinking about shady fresh this weekend. thinking about 2mile now
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

i saw a post on stalk book this morning and think it was Hardies that one of the guides was pulling a few fish as another option mate.

cheers

Shane
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Yup, Hardies is producing, not numbers but a decent size from 78 and up, up around the junction that takes you up to the floodplain.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Of course it is mate i didn't think to take my visitor from down south there - always the way - find out the hot goss the day after they head home - bl..dy typical!!!
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Should have gone salt water side of shady Shane. Plenty of Barra mid way down the river on a push in tide ATM:) including a Metery or two....