DUI How Will It Work?

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Big Col
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: DUI How Will It Work?

Post by Big Col »

Why should you be breath tested if your being an idiot on the water? Why wouldn’t the police take the idiots to task whether they are drunk or not? Do we say you were being an idiot but because you were sober its ok we’re not going to press charges? Who knows they may be high or just stupid none of which is a defence for being an idiot/dangerous on the water.
I’m not a lawyer but would think that without a DUI limit the onus still lies with Police to prove that you were are idiot on the water (if someone would like to correct me please do so), because of this a Magistrate will impose a limit in the first case that is brought before them ie. someone being intoxicated/stupid on the water and is nicked by the police, blows 0.06 is charged and convicted based on the bretho, you now have a precedent set by the court that the BAC level for intoxication is 0.06 so anyone who blows over that level can potentially be charged in future. This leads to a much easier job for the police as all the have to prove is that your BAC level is above 0.06, rather than having to prove that you were being an idiot on the water.
In my eyes it does not matter if you are drunk, high, or just plain stupid if you act in a dangerous manner on the water the police should be taking action against you. Similarly if you are being safe who cares if someone choose to indulge in a few beers or poison of their choice.
If these changes are brought in it will not stop dickheads, all it will do is pave the way for more regulation. Ie registration because police will need to identify the vessel, boat licences so that people know how to safely operate a boat, fishing licences so people understand the limits the list goes on.

Big Col

Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Bring it all in..!

Bring in licensing...
Bring in rego....
Bring in DUI...

Get caught over .05 & lose ya car license too, cant afford simple boat rego?, cant pass a simple boat license test??
Suits me!! There'll be less boats on the water!!

More space and fish for me..!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Walkabout
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Walkabout »

the guide in court now being a dickhead isn't charged for DUI. So I guess the system works just fine. He f**ked up his in court.

How can the police be on the scene when someone is doing something stupid? Its impossible! So whats the point of introducing the law? By the time the police get out on the water from Darwin because they hear someone is doing something dangerous. He is at anchor and half way through his eski of grog. Who is to say he was drunk at the time of the offence? Or he has sobered up!

If its not to randomly test people I don't see what the point of this law is!
jrhullick

Post by jrhullick »

That was the bottom line from AFANTs statement. No random breath tests and no legal BAC limit. Its just as extra evidence if you do something stupid while boozed in your boat.