Elizabeth river

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Elizabeth river

Post by shaggs »

Fisheries caught their share there the week before last
Must be a technique thing aye LOL

The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

STANDY wrote:
slug wrote:
Quinntreximon wrote: ....... is there any talk of the howard river ramp re-opening in the future??
I hope not ....... :twisted:

+1 :twisted: :twisted:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
trackerV175
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by trackerV175 »

I luv the Elizabeth always get good feed of barra, loads of great threadys at the moment snapper and jacks. You just got to know how to fish it.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Well the mrs dragged me back out there yesterday arvo, as she WANTED A FEED OF CRABS! Me, I wanted to hit up Shoal Bay today for Barra and crabs. But she won as usual.

Had to come back early to watch the Mighty Dockers beat Port, so only pulled the pots twice for four big bucks, so not a bad afternoon.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Told ya you'd be back.

Did you have a look at my 4 reefs post.
The blue water is calling mate :D
ambush
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ambush »

On the Lizzy river, I went out on thursday to give the motor a run before the 4 day easter trip. So thought I'd take the pots and barra rod. I decided to go uptsteam, under the bridge first creek on the right. Dropped five pots down loaded with chicken frames, and fished that creek for the bottom of the low and push in tide. Barra were boofing, bit of bait, but not interested in my drop bears, gold bombers, lucifers or zereks. :o
Checked the pots 3hrs later, for nothing. :banghead: so I pulled them up and put them out in the main river on the palmy side, tide them off and left them overnight. Came back the next morning, to wait for the pro crabbers to pull out loading bay of the boat ramp. Asked how they went and they showed me the back of the ute, crates and crates full of muddies. I went down to pull my pots.....and ZERO....GRRRR :fubird: UNBELIEVABLE
It's not just the Lizzy, was out at Bynoe Harbour visiting family for the easter period. My Pa has been there for over thirty years, and says it's not worth taking your pots anymore from six pack creek. There's two PRO Crabbers working the area twice a day 7 days a week. I thought, surely I'd get one or two....each round. After the weekend one small Jenny. We mixed the bait up with fish frames (threadies, macks,) chicken frames...nothing. Spoke to others at six pack boat ramp, they all said the same...doughnuts...
Question is; should they ban Pro Crabbing in the Elizabeth River and Bynoe Harbour?"
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

I had a lot of problems crabbing Bynoe last year, I just figured I was lousy at it
www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails
balthasar832
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by balthasar832 »

Pro crabbers?
How many pots do they have? How many crabs roughly did they have?
If there really is a concern about this, you should report it to fisheries if you have a good hunch that these people are pro-crabbers.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

There were pro crabers in the bay out the front of leaders. There would of been 25 + going from leaders mouth around past pussy cat Island, and around the corner, not sure how many around the corner. I got duck egg, but put it down to the time of year
trackerV175
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by trackerV175 »

Went for a run up the Elizabeth yesterday for a couple of hours managed to get 3 barra a 60cm, 53cm and a 48 cm, a mangrove jack 38cm and an early release on a bigger one, 76cm queenie, 10 bream, 2 stingrays.
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

Always do well in the Lizzy. Went there a few weeks back and got four Goldies whilst casting lures, three barra one went 76cm.

around 6 months ago we had a ripper session there catching 32 barra for the day. most were rats but we got our bag limit of keepers for two blokes. Kept 4 fish and went home happy as.
ambush
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ambush »

balthasar832 wrote:Pro crabbers?
How many pots do they have? How many crabs roughly did they have?
If there really is a concern about this, you should report it to fisheries if you have a good hunch that these people are pro-crabbers.
Hi balthasar832

They were happy to show me after i asked for my friend from the gold Coast who wanted to see the crabs. They were tied off perfectly, stacked in tight with wet hesian bags. Couldn't say about how many pots as i couldn't see in the boat but crates 24 (3 rows of 4 stacked 2 high) maybe? Each crate full to top. I've seen these guys working leaders creek. I asked the owner Ann (base camp) if they were pro crabbers? She said yes and they leave there boat stored at leaders creek base camp. When they work the creek.
my question was asking if anyone else was getting crabs in these two particular systems? I maybe doing something wrong and would rather fix it then waste my $$ and time. I understand that people need to make a living, but lizzy river? so close to town easy access for families, can we not leave it to recreational fishing? I don't know just throwing it out there 8)
Apparently Fisheries are aware of Bynoe.
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

I thought the harbor was closed to pro crabbers?
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com