Boating test

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
littlemack3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Boating test

Post by littlemack3 »

When I did my coxswains and then on to master5 in Qld they did do a restricted coxswain wich was good for building more sea time etc and start working it was for Gold Coast area from basically surfers paridise to jumping pin bar bottom end of Morton bay and you were only allowed to operate smooth waters and outboard motor only under 24 mtrs wich was good for the local tourism operators etc houseboats water taxis fishing charters etc you only had to gain half the seatime but still had to do all safty courses first aid ohs at sea etc radio ops everything a open coxswains had to hold i personal think it was a excellent thing was still tuff to get but the test was done to suit the waters you would be operating so you were more focussed on memorising the local waters near have to memorise every marker sand bar creek anchorage etc for the area this was going back 12 years so wether still done or not wouldn't know

Trev&Tara
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Trev&Tara »

20, Never really done any knowledge tests before. Just what Ive pick up of people.
Regards
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

littlemack3 wrote:When I did my coxswains and then on to master5 in Qld they did do a restricted coxswain wich was good for building more sea time etc and start working it was for Gold Coast area from basically surfers paridise to jumping pin bar bottom end of Morton bay and you were only allowed to operate smooth waters and outboard motor only under 24 mtrs wich was good for the local tourism operators etc houseboats water taxis fishing charters etc you only had to gain half the seatime but still had to do all safty courses first aid ohs at sea etc radio ops everything a open coxswains had to hold i personal think it was a excellent thing was still tuff to get but the test was done to suit the waters you would be operating so you were more focussed on memorising the local waters near have to memorise every marker sand bar creek anchorage etc for the area this was going back 12 years so wether still done or not wouldn't know
yeah but thats those queenslanders - they are a bit strange :twisted:
littlemack3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by littlemack3 »

Touché 8) but in all serious a similar system here could work for the purpose of inland waters billabongs daly etc sheltered harbour arms
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Boating test wouldn't go down well with average NT boatie I wouldn't think.

I used to drive 10m rescue boat out of Bundaberg. Boat was built and registered under 7-10m survey requirements. 3 of us went and got a 7-10m qualification which included a couple of hundred hours of sea-time on water log-book verifiable, navigation papers had to be in area not local. I did nav papers for Whitsundays.

Marine college in Bundy was doing courses for maritime industry guys who had to get formal quals to drive their trawlers, barges and charter boats. So we did their courses.

All good and got the 7-10m qual. Good for up to 50 nautical miles from recognised port. Covered to Lady Musgrave and Lady Elliott Is.

Shortly after, the maritime stuff all went under the international Universal Shipping Law code. Existing quals translated to USL coded levels and the master rating hierarchy.

My 7- 10m ( basically a charter boat ticket) translated to a USL master 3 (up to 50 metre vessels from memory). Translation was simply the best fit place ' ços it wouldn't fit anywhere else I think

In short I had gone (in a period of about 12 months) from a recreational licence (which was all I needed to drive rescue boat) to a 50m vessel. Simply swept along with the bureaucratic changes. Bit crazy. Never fired the M3 qual in anger.

All I wanted to do was drive the rescue boat safely on Qld's east coast. (I think all you need now is a M5)

Learned an awful lot of good useful stuff and used every bit of it inc black balls, lights, shapes flags etc. Sugar and fuel boats in/out of Bundy port along with tugs. Dredges. Whale watching boats in Hervey Bay.

To be honest only the diving ( didn't want to run over one) and explosives flags interested me due to the cracker boats in the Fitzroy carting explosives from Port Alma. Plenty of markers, lights, balls and triangles stuff with number of sand dredges operating in fresh water reaches of rivers too.

There'd be plenty of that sort of stuff used in/near Darwin harbour with what's happening there. In fresh maybe dredges or construction works.

Good useful knowledge to have if you are a recreational user in a busy port like Darwin. Freshwater rivers a bit different.
Regards
Ronje