Weird arse fish from East Arm

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Weird arse fish from East Arm

Post by buzzdog »

Hey guys,
Went out for a fish with a mate of mine 'Roger' in and around East Arm on Thursday, the tides were big and we wanted to take full advantage of them. We cruised up one creek and at first there wasn't a great deal of surface action going on; the tide was certainly ripping through on the way out and if you saw this kind of water colour and movement in any other river system you could have sworn they'd be big fish cruising around, alas...nothing.
As the tide continued to drop, the action picked up. We had small schools of mullet, bait fish and jelly prawns boiling up on the surface; something which you'd usually associate with tuna schools on the chew, yet it was Barra and threadfin. Both species were so brazen with their feeding tactics that you'd occasionally see their backs fully exposed from the water as they lunged for a full mouth of food. Suffice to say, we landed and tagged 4 Barra, dropped 4 Barra and had a few takes from suspected threadies. With all the action we saw around us you'd think we would have killed it that day; but no, all they seemed to be interested in was those little jelly prawns...so in a way, I think we were pretty lucky to land the fish we did.
Besides the Barra, I did land one fish which I totally did not expect to ever catch and catch in the circumstances I did.
I was trolling a red head little lucifer and Roger a black and gold lucfer. As we trolled I doing my best to subdue the pain in my legs from a massive legs gym session I had on Tuesday. The pain was ridiculous, I could barley step up onto the casting deck and back down again, you'd think I was 80 years old the way in which I was getting around the rest of the boat. Anyway, so we're there trolling along talking about fish; Roger mentions this fish, a mother in law fish that he's seen in and around the area. He goes on to say that he's seen a few and some big specimens. He's tried to catch them, as they'd probably be a great fight, going off what's he's noticed with their physical attributes, but he's never been able to do so on bait let alone lure. So, while dealing with the pain in my legs, my rod goes off. I think to myself "sweet, finally a fish", at first I think it's a Barra, then it starts to fight all weird. It runs hard and then drops dead and becomes a heavy weight, it then takes off again with a few head shakes and then stops dead in it's tracks. Next thing that pops into my head is that it's a Powertail, oh well, might as well get it in to check it out. The stop start chaotic fight goes on for another 5 mins or so; the water is only 8 feet deep, but due to the discoloration, you couldn't see cr.p if your life depended on it. Eventually I get it near the surface; expecting to see a sh*ty Powertail, I'm taken back a bit by not a Powertail, but a rather robust looking fish, silver in colour with a faded vertical black band, blubbery lips, a massive eye (not far of a 20c piece in size) and it's torso was thick and deep. I'd liken it to the bastard child of a Bream and PNG Black Bass. I turn to Roger and say "holy sh!t mate, what is that", he responds with "mate, thats on of those mother in law fish". He nets the fish and brings it aboard, all the time with my lucifer hanging from it's mouth. I'm looking at this thing and think "that's actually one of the more prettier mother in law fish I've seen" as usually they are a really crappy colour. We removed the hooks, took a few pics and released it. As the fish swims off Roger goes on to say "I've never seen anyone catch one of those fish on a lure and in such shallow water" I promptly respond "so although it's a sh!ty fish to catch, the circumstances in which is was caught makes it a unique capture?", he replies "absolutely".
We didn't have much more luck after that; plenty of action on the surface, but nothing to grace our rods. We called it a day and headed back as the wind picked up. We hoped that if this rain would continue, the fishing would just keep getting better and better in the coming months....lets just hope.

Cheers

Buzz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Weird arse fish from East Arm

Post by madmortimer »

Brown Sweetlips ? Maybe?
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

Thats what Matt said. Although it had blubbery lips, it certainly had some teeth.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Its a blubber lip bream. They are reasonably common to catch on lures up the creeks.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Mostly known on ID pages as brown sweetlip, but is called blubberlips or blubberlips bream by many fishos.
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

I'd never seen one before this, it's usually just Barra and Flathead.
It was like catching a meter + Powertail Powertail; epic in size, not so epic when the realisation of what it is hits you.
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Are they good eating? I am guessing not as a 'mother in law' fish...
www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

Apparently not, that said I wasn't going to try it. Knowing my luck, they're probably delicious.
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

well if it is the same species as the grassy sweetlip....
www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Good write up mate.

Mother in law fish! I never ate one but heard they taste like cardboard.
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

balou wrote:Good write up mate.

Mother in law fish! I never ate one but heard they taste like cardboard.
Thanks balou,
Cardboard, very politically correct there hahahha I would have just said it taste like SH!T
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

disco wrote:well if it is the same species as the grassy sweetlip....
I believe you are thinking of painted sweetlip, which is another of the so-called mother in law fish. Aka slatey bream.

Grassy sweetlip are another fish again, a member of the emperor family and quite good to eat.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Stonker!

Good on ya,

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

043.JPG
Bit of an ugly bugger , but the fish looks cool , shame about the taste :rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Looks like a mother in law fish... Ugly and is not cool...
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...