Stacer 5.29 Fit out (as promised in the fake grass thread)

Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Stacer 5.29 Fit out (as promised in the fake grass thread)

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Well we finally made the decision to make the purchase of our first boat. We searched high and low throughout Darwin and Katherine to find something that was a decent starting point. We viewed some absolute shockers and turned on our heel and walked away arriving at some of the places. We had almost given up hope when a 5.29 Stacer was put up on here. It was large enough to take a trip to Melville or Perons in relative comfort. So we arranged a viewing and then a test run.

Finally got the boat back home
DSC_0854.JPG
We were happy with the boat and how it performed. The wiring looked some what dodgy but nothing that could not be fixed. The floor was also very flexible under foot and we should have lifted the flooring prior to the purchase. But the excitement got the better of me and we jumped on it. After all this was the best platform we had viewed in over 6 months.

We took the boat home and gave it a massive clean up which is was well overdue for. We planned the 400hr service and booked the mechanic in. Then came the time to start spending more and more cash to do it up. With over $1000.00 spent at Road Tech Marine in the first week on safety gear, wiring, trailer parts and a pair of new/second hand seats. The fit out commenced.

Unfortunately it was short lived as we decided to pull the floor up and strip the wiring out. This is where the surprises started, as the "new alloy floor" wasn't done very well at all. In fact that may even be an understatement. When lifting the flooring we found that the carpet was not wrapped around the edges, there was no additional bracing applied (kinda important when replacing 12mm ply with 2.5mm alloy sheet). We then noted that some off cuts of alloy had been slid under there so some sections were 5mmm alloy. We noted a cracked fuel breather hose near the console and the wiring issues were far worst then I first thought.
Cleaning began
Cleaning taking place..jpg
This is the boat when I first got it
mms_20141231_150854.jpg
So I called my good mate John (DEEPBLACK from North Shore Reel Servicing) and asked for some assistance in planning our next step. We just could not put it back together the way it was. He arrived with a 4 pack of jacks in hand (well under stocked given what he was about to see). Then his jaw hit the deck and clearly stated were gonna need more Jacks.

A few plans and measurement later and we had the boat in the shed. Then a few more trips to the alloy shop and the work began. We started by building a whole front casting deck level with the base of the gunwales. This included fully bent bulk heads and additional upright bracing applied. The welding began and it was somewhat starting to take place.
DSC_0879.JPG
DSC_0880.JPG

Front deck almost welded out, and starting on the second bulk head for the step up and more underfloor storage.
DSC_0885.JPG
Then we moved further back on the boat welding in several pieces of box section to give the floor some bracing as we wanted to keep the alloy floor. So hours and hours of work later and the floor bracing was completed.
DSC_0883.JPG
DSC_0884.JPG
Then came the carpeting of the floor sections after further trimming of the pieces took place. We then carpeted the entire floor and planned for some rod lockers to be fitted at a later date. Having placed the floor down and starting to see what the final project would look like. We started to get excited.
DSC_0911.JPG
The fun did not stop there, John being the handy man that he is went back into his workshop on a Sunday with a few loose measurements and returned 3 hours later with an awesome electric motor mounts fabbed up ready to be welding into place. He also returned a jigsaw puzzle of alluminum which with some harry potter magic would eventually turn into the best seat mount a man has ever seen (well this man anyway)
DSC_0891.JPG
We then took to cutting off the sh..ty bow rails and have since made some customs items which will work in with the rear ones already fitted. We havent got them welded on yet but it is coming.

With the casting deck sorted and no further work able to be done without some piano hinge. I put a call into a couple mate that are keen fisherman. With some bribery on my part combined with their need to kill fish. A time was arranged for them to attend my shed and complete some wiring given I was unqualified for the job. Auto/Marine sparkies / fridgies to the rescue.
Cast deck.jpg
Well 2 days and 3.721 cartons of beer later along with around 450 bucks in electrical wiring and another 300 worth of Deutsche connectors the boat was wired up. I fitted the LED lights and mounted the Bilge pump also. fitted the new sounder and ran wiring with blanked plugs for Deck wash, spot light and electric motor. Also have an isolator fitted for when the batteries are sorted and we mount the 24v system.
From this
WIRING.png
To this
Screenshot_2015-01-16-00-22-56.PNG
Some of the hardware used, some might say its overkill but I only plan on doing this once.
DSC_0964.JPG

I am wrapped with how it all turned out and cannot wait to his the water with it. 24v Motor guide XI5 arrived today also from In & Outboard which was well cheaper then anywhere else I searched. Great service from the guys there also. Bring on the run off.
DSC_09711.jpg
DSC_0976.JPG
DSC_0975.JPG
DSC_0969.JPG
A massive thanks is due to John for all his assistance.
Luke and Stuart for the wiring.
Tight lines people. :fishing: :catch: :drinking1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Stacer 5.29 Fit out (as promised in the fake grass threa

Post by jeffish »

Looks cool 8) :applause:
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Top stuff mate you have given me some inspiration for the coming dry to rip the guts out of the Topender. :clap: :clap:

Already have the casting deck lifted but I like the idea of the floor. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Looks like a weapon, well done :mrgreen:
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

Wow. Nice work
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Awesome!
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Awesome work mate, looks great
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Great post , thanks for going to the effort of putting this up

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

It's a shame that you had to do all of that to a new toy, but like you said, at least you'll only have to do it once. Reliability is a big factor given where we live and fish. Looks good, especially like the raised casting deck.
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Thanks guys. Was a hell of a job but in the end it has been worth it. Its all piece of mind i guess. Now we know the boat inside and out and if we sell it we know exactly whats been done with pics the whole way through. We went overboard with the wiring making all switch pannels quick release with the new plugs etc. But all in all it has been done right now and wont present any further issues.