Quintrex 445 hornet trophy help!!

Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Quintrex 445 hornet trophy help!!

Post by Bottom Bashing Bloke »

G'day guys,

Recently bout a 445 hornet trophy with a 50hp Honda on the back. I was ready a review and it said the side console fitted with a 60hp was cruising at 50km @ 4000rpm. My mates tiller steer 435 with a 50hp Yamaha is doing about the same with flat stock being 60km or so on both examples, where as mine is flat stick doing 48km which seems pretty cr.p. I spoke with solas and they said it's the right pitch and size for the job. Also I can't plane under 4500rpm.

Only things in the boat are the standard gear with 2 blokes, 50L esky and rods.

I've tried trimming it but doesn't make much difference except how tight I can turn before cavitation.

I spoke with quintrex and they said maybe move the motor down fully on the mounting bracket but I wanna be sure that will help before going to that trouble.

Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Quintrex 445 hornet trophy help!!

Post by Basstad »

Moving the motor so the cav plate is at an even level with the lowest point of the hull is a good start and go from there........usually you lift a motor for more speed/performance........Also a 60hp cruising at 50kph @4000rpm sounds a little too good......maybe one up with no gear with the tide and all the stars and moon aligned but it seems not real world to me.........not planeing under 4500 is not right either.......It sounds like too much leg drag,post up some pic's of your motor height but I suspect it's too low.
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Basstad wrote:Moving the motor so the cav plate is at an even level with the lowest point of the hull is a good start and go from there........usually you lift a motor for more speed/performance........Also a 60hp cruising at 50kph @4000rpm sounds a little too good......maybe one up with no gear with the tide and all the stars and moon aligned but it seems not real world to me.........not planeing under 4500 is not right either.......It sounds like too much leg drag,post up some pic's of your motor height but I suspect it's too low.
Hey mate, I've check the Cav plate level against the hull and at the moment it's level with the very bottom of the hull at the lowest point. I'll go take some pictures and post them up later. My mate said he put a SE sport hydrofoil on and it made a world of difference, also he is running a 11 3/8 13 prop where mine is 11 1/4 12 and the engine is over reving according to the tacho. It says full power is 5500rpm with full rpm is 6000, tacho reading 6500 rpm at full throttle. Might need to upsize the prop but it's the size the Honda dealer reckoned
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Here's a few photos of it with the Cav plate level, only just fitted the bat wing on it as someone reversed into it and cracked the Cav plate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Looks a little low but not overly too bad......... and whats it like without the foil?.........they can knock a few k's off of your top end speed.

Yeah try the next pitch up prop and keep the same dia...............Just read your first reply I missed it and only saw your pics...............does sound under propped and could possibly go up a hole aswell.
littlemack3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by littlemack3 »

I had similar problem but other way around I had 13p prop and couldn't get over 4800rpm droped to a 12p and get full rev range and added about 7 kph but in saying that two people is fine but won't stay on plane below 4400 but with 13 p prop is on the plane right down to about 2800rpm that's all on 40hp so now I use 12p most of time but if I'm going with more then 2 people or a lot of gear I will swap props to 13p its a good pushing prop with the extra weight and position of people is important with these hornets on the min rec hp if ya mate big bloke I always find having seated next to you is best once someone is sitting up front or even just below cast platform tends to bog down in the nose and create more drag on the hull but may be different for you that just been my experience
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Yeah the seating positions are set up for side by side seating for 2 people. We keep the weight in the centre of the hull when cruising around so it should have no dramas at all. I think it is the propeller and the Yamaha four strokes have the same spline as Honda so I'll grab my mates prop and give it a go and see what results I get. I just can't believe how hard it is for such a simple thing to be fixed especially when you ring the propeller professionals.

50hp on the hull is second highest, if I could I'd have a 60hp etec all the way but can't afford it.
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Basstad wrote:Looks a little low but not overly too bad......... and whats it like without the foil?.........they can knock a few k's off of your top end speed.

Yeah try the next pitch up prop and keep the same dia...............Just read your first reply I missed it and only saw your pics...............does sound under propped and could possibly go up a hole aswell.
I haven't run it with the wing on, only without it. The bloke at quintrex said lower the motor if anything as it cavitates on tight turns but apparently when straight lining it you trim it right up and to turn trim it back down to avoid cavitation, honestly sounds f'ing stupid to make to boat like that but yeah.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I know boats
To test any boat, get it going full noise them do a hard left turn. The boat will tip up and throw you both into the water. From this vantage point, you will be able to see if the trim is right as it disappears into the distance. :twisted:

looks a bit low so lift it a hole and see how you go.
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Haha nomad that doesn't work as it flat turns and cavitates haha

Yeah well I'll try this other prop first and then if I'm still having dramas I'll move the engine.
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Anyone got a 50hp and know what prop they running? Just for comparison. Littlemack3 did you look at the C series props from solas? Bigger blades or even look at a 4 blade?
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

I've got a similar boat that's probably a bit lighter with a 50hp Honda, 2 blokes with a 60lt esky and I get 62 kph flat stick and thats with a foil on it. I'll have a look at my prop tomorrow when I get home. Not planning under 4500rpm sounds very wrong. I don't know many revs mines doing as its a tiller but it will plain on quarter throttle no worries.
littlemack3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by littlemack3 »

I did go to solas inintially but same thing they look on computer or book and rekon that it was best prop left it that and wasn't till I ran into my mechanic on the water testing his dad's boat identical boat motor setup and he was out running me out of the hole and top end so he chucked the prop on from his dad's boat and well I was sold I didn't think the difference would be that much he sense put stainless 4 blade on wich claims to have improved it more on about 5 kph faster topend but I haven't worried about it I'm happy with it the way it is know couldn't justify another $500 at the time for the 4 blade as I said I only got 40 hp but 12p prop I average 50 52 thats at about 5000- 5300rpm will get 56 to 59kph in ideal conditions trimmed out squeezing every last bit of throttle I can get with the 13p prop I'm back to 43 kph at about 4500rpm full noise with that prop a touch over 5000rpm trimmed right out I can get 46-47 in ideal conditions but for the weight of boat two blokes at an average 100kg each 100litre esky minn Kota ipilot 60 litre fuel and all the rest of gear I can't complain to much for. 40hp we all want to go faster :twisted: :D
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Hey mate it does sound and look like you have a bit too much leg in the water. Try lifting it a bolt hole and fit the hydrofoil. I had similar issues and I had to come up two bolts holes from factory. Made the world of difference and haven't loss any top end just gained the ability to turn at full noise (not that I do this a lot) and she's on the plane in seconds.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Cheers for all the feed back guys. I've found a similar sized prop with a 13p instead of 12p but who should I go see? Honda or quintrex to find out the best prop for the job.

Seems like the prop and engine mounting position is all stuffed up from factory haha look forward to see what your running qiksix and what position your motor is mounted at.

That's it littlemack, might as well get everything you can out of it to try and get more and more fuel economy.

Anyone fitted a bigger tank to their hornet?