Leader to braid knot

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Leader to braid knot

Post by madmortimer »

For the double I use a 8 turn overhand knot, retains 100% breaking strength in braid.

Any knot that retains 100% breaking strain has got to be good. But I am yet to find one and actually have never heard of one! Enlighten me please!!

wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

Blowski if you are worried about your knots, just grab some SD wind on leaders , they have a loop at the end , and I just tie braid straight to the loop using a blood knot with lock and no double as they are fairly long anyway. goes through the runners smooth as But if I make my own I use the spider hitch and a double .
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

madmortimer wrote:For the double I use a 8 turn overhand knot, retains 100% breaking strength in braid.

Any knot that retains 100% breaking strain has got to be good. But I am yet to find one and actually have never heard of one! Enlighten me please!!
Designed by Rod Harrison, who is arguably the most knowledgable man in this country when it comes to braids, it is simply an 8 turn overhand knot, diagrams are in his "Barramundi" book, I'll see if I can dig out my copy and put up a picture. Don't hold your breath although, I gotta find the book first...........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

Thanks to all!!'
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

trevor schultz wrote:FG only way to go
Do you fellas melt the leader?
i used to really like them until i was on a charter chasing GT's and the knot just slipped off under pressure.
the FG's were all tied by the guide.
I admit its the only one that let go for the whole week but it was a nice GT and $60 lure. :banghead: At least i didnt have to pay for it
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Melting the end is to stop the edge of the leader cutting into the braid not to stop it slipping. I never bother. If a fg let's go (or any leader knot for that matter) it's because it wasn't tied properly
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Nomad, no I don't but I do apply a heap of tension at the final stage after the half hitches. When I first started tying them if there were any dramas you would know at this stage prior to trimming tags. Some did slip until I altered my technique. I couldn't tie them like most demonstrate on Youtube. I worked out my own system and now find the hook straightens or loop knot breaks before there is even a hint of issue with the FG.
I don't think melting the leader will save you if the knot is flawed, eventually it will fail if there is any slippage.
ken_gilchrist
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ken_gilchrist »

I was tying the albright knot,but after many breaks just above the knot(on the braid side) I got soooooo frustrated with it and have changed to the slim beauty. Hopefully I wont have the same problem.

Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

seano wrote:Put your rod in the holder and tie off your braid to the rail under tension then over , under your leader - hard to explain but much easier and uniform done like this
I can picture the first half but not how to terminate the braid. Is the tag end of the braid tied to the side of the boat? I can't picture how you can tie it off at the top of the leader from there.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

dannett wrote:
seano wrote:Put your rod in the holder and tie off your braid to the rail under tension then over , under your leader - hard to explain but much easier and uniform done like this
I can picture the first half but not how to terminate the braid. Is the tag end of the braid tied to the side of the boat? I can't picture how you can tie it off at the top of the leader from there.
Like this Seano but tied to the boat instead of in the teeth? http://youtu.be/3Yn5SapCFBA
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Yep - that's it
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

dannett wrote:
dannett wrote:
Like this Seano but tied to the boat instead of in the teeth? http://youtu.be/3Yn5SapCFBA

Watching the video I fell asleep after the 50 second mark! Does it have intermission.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

madmortimer wrote: Watching the video I fell asleep after the 50 second mark! Does it have intermission.
Nope. Try this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uWL43hUbw its just as long! Method is pretty good though.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Not exactly a spectator sport
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

dannett wrote:
madmortimer wrote: Watching the video I fell asleep after the 50 second mark! Does it have intermission.
Nope. Try this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uWL43hUbw its just as long! Method is pretty good though.
Great knots but the tide changed and I ran out of popcorn! :D