New to Darwin

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

New to Darwin

Post by kavera »

Hey fellas,
Ive just recently moved up here from the Gold Coast, Ive done a fair bit of reef fishing and fresh water back there but its all a bit different up here, with the big tides and crocs etc so I'm looking for a bit of advice for fishing up these ways. Ive just bought a 4.4 side console and wanting to get amongst it. Im not looking for your secret spots, just some advise on general areas, lures/bait or what ever you think might be handy.
Its always better to learn from other peoples mistakes! So far I've ventured up to corroboree a couple of times and went poorly, more sightseeing with the family than anything though. I live in palmerston if that helps.
Cheers :cheers:

STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New to Darwin

Post by STANDY »

Buy the Fish Finder Book and start to tick off some spots. Most reef marks are a general spot so sound around and look for the fish.
Lures for barra are a weeks worth of search...
Use the search function and dont be scared to ask advice on a trip plan for tides if need be. Even the best get stuck now and then
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

also take the time to visit the local tackle shops. they have good info of everything you need and methods
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

G'day Kavera, do a search for Back Cast's posts. He did a series "spot of they day" I think? They detail when and how to fish different spots around Darwin. They were pretty good. He's a Darwin guide of 20+ years
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

Cheers everyone for your advice, ill have a look for those posts too drifter.
I've visited most of the local shops from berrimah to coolalinga, most of them seem very friendly, and got a very decent price on a new loomis, comparable to all the online shops (i prefer to keep thing local, wherever I am) even got the boat up here.
Ill be picking up the magazine tomorrow and see how I go from that.
I went out today in the harbour today, went from the east arm ramp at around 9:30, fished a few of the wrecks and that big rock island, also trolled a few small xraps and bombers to mix things up. Tried plastics and bait and called it a day around 2:30 after catching zero fish....
I know its a bad time to fish but its what i had to work with.

Going to try and hit corroboree Wednesday morning at sunrise and throw some frogs around the lilypads. Been there twice already for one small rat and some tarpon.. so any pointers there would be good. Cheers
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

At corroboree try a 7 inch gulp shad on a 7/0 weedless hook. either unweighted or with a tiny ball sinker running right down to the hook. Chuck it as far back into the trees as you can and hang on. Sure fire way to nail a few toga. you'll lose as many as you land but its good fun
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

Thanks nt wombat, will have to give that a go next time, I've been doing that with 5 inch zman paddle tails in other billabongs, works great for the rats too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

Thinking of trying leaders creek tomorrow now, see what happens :)

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Hi Kavera. Come down to the Palmerston Gamefishing Club on Friday nights from 6.30pm. :drinking1:
There are many years of Darwin fishing knowledge telling lies every week. :fishing:
The club holds regular outings and organisers are very helpful with information and the odd gps mark :clap: . Many of the members are on this forum and the club is family friendly.
Tight lines and empty spools !
Cap'n Snapper
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cap'n Snapper »

Welcome aboard
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

Thanks guys, where is the club meeting at? Might try and get down there this week or next

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Palmerston Gamefishing Club
Catalina Road
Marlow Lagoon

Turn off Elrundie Avenue onto Catalina and about 1km down on the right hand side just as the road bends left.
You can get a good feed on the night for a reasonable price too.
Tight lines and empty spools !