What sort of leader do you use?

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What sort of leader do you use?

Post by disco »

There is a currently a debate raging about what sort of leader to use. When I say "raging" I know quite a few expert fishos, and they all seem to have a very different opinion.

I am talking general barra / threadie type fishing.

A few people, particularly in the paper have been saying that you need to go really light, use 10lb or 20lb flurocarbon. Otherwise people are using 50lb. Personally I just can't shake the feeling that 20lb is far too light, but I also can't deny the people telling me that catch more than I do!

Wondered what the boards opinion was?

www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Re: What sort of leader do you use?

Post by NT Wombat »

I use 20 LB flurocarbon in general, If I'm fishing oyster rocks or spots on the daly/mary where i can reasonably expect bigger than average fish i go up to 40 LB. Usually try to match the size of the leader to the size of the lure.The smaller leaders dont restrict the action of smaller lures as much.lures under 80mm, 20lb - lures over 40lb
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

60lb supple black magic.
zulu
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zulu »

lol ive allways used 10x 50lb but i do beleve plp when they say you get more hits on light leader on tough days. just for me i allways seem to get plenty of strikes on the 50 lbs and it seems to hold most times. i remember giving a bloke poop about using a steel trace to a lure when he came out with me told him that dosent happen on my boat but low and behold he caught a few barra mind you they were going off at the time. but if your not sure buy a few types and experiment
zulu
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zulu »

ps 10x is the brand
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

30lb braid = 60lb leader, either Jinkai or Black Magic mono. 50lb braid = 80lb leader, Jinkai or black magic mono = reason: what is in the tackle box atm.
Josh03
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Josh03 »

SAS line is a good one to look for. I use 30lb leader for barra and jacks, maybe 40lb if it's really rough country. For threadies though I would use atleast 40lb due to their abrasive mouths. In my opinion though if there hungry they will whack anything within reason. You may find you get a few more hits on super light gear, but if your flicking around a $20 lure you will get the s...ts pretty quick too. :evil:
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

I use 20 or 40lb supple black magic. I start with 20 and if I loose a fish due to a failed leader I will go heavier. Def hook more fish when fishing light.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

When I was a lot younger I was told it's not so much the breaking strain but the diameter of the line that is important for leaders for big barra. It's the abrasive action and repetitive sawing that does small diameter line in, thus bigger diameter lines are less likely to loose a big fish in a sustained fight.
Catching a 30lb fish on a 20lb line is hard.
I learned the hard way when hooking 8lb+ trout in the big lakes using 4lb line, snags and all, that I may as well have stayed at home, so for hopefully BIG barra I won't muck around.
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

50lb Sunline FC rock is one of the thinnest and most abrasion resistant fluorocarbon leaders that I have found.
goodsey03

Post by goodsey03 »

i use 40lb flurocarbon leder al round and always am up the top with fish numbers on most trips. dont really put much stock in fishing lighter gets more results rumor myself but each to there own aye.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Around 50 lbs SOFT leader (ties better knots than hard leader, better lure action, more natural feel using bait), use a loop knot for better lure action.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

55lb schnider for general flicking etc and 70lb schnider for heavy barnacle encrusted deep trolling.......it's hard and wirey but tough as nails........used it for years tried others like 10x and went back to it.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Basstad wrote:55lb schnider for general flicking etc and 70lb schnider for heavy barnacle encrusted deep trolling.......it's hard and wirey but tough as nails........used it for years tried others like 10x and went back to it.
X2

Old school :D
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Leader choice in my eyes is governed by what lure you are fishing, location, and size of fish targeted. Recently my missus landed a 92cm and was very lucky to do so. The fish had engulfed the rubber and the leader was only just holding. Once in the boat I grabbed the leader and gave it a short yank and it broke easily. If I wasnt running 80lb leader I doubt it would have held. We were targeting big fish so the leader was suited. Later on we targeted smaller fish on the flats and down sized the leader due to really clear water and chasing numbers rather then one trophy fish. When fishing for big fish you want it to stick because the chances at them are not regular so heavy leader is necessary. Small fish are plenty so run small leader to get more bights. If using hard bodies I run lighter line due to less chance of the fish swallowing it. Rubbers its fluro or heavy mono depending on action of rubber. Ie a prawn imitation (light so it has a natural action) or a large squidgy (heavy doesnt alter action much) 40lb fluro or 55 to 70 lb Sneider or 80lb Jinkai in my veiw are the better ones. I didnt like FC Rock at all.