What sort of leader do you use?

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What sort of leader do you use?

Post by shaggs »

balou wrote:
Basstad wrote:55lb schnider for general flicking etc and 70lb schnider for heavy barnacle encrusted deep trolling.......it's hard and wirey but tough as nails........used it for years tried others like 10x and went back to it.
X2

Old school :D

The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

shaggs wrote:
balou wrote:
Basstad wrote:55lb schnider for general flicking etc and 70lb schnider for heavy barnacle encrusted deep trolling.......it's hard and wirey but tough as nails........used it for years tried others like 10x and went back to it.
X2

Old school :D
+4. Lighter fluorocarbon in the harbour though.
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Barra outfit - 30lb braid with 55lb Schneider, bottom bouncing outfit - 50lb braid with 80lb Black Magic Tough neither have ever let me down :mrgreen:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

30lb flouro has my vote but will go to 40 or 50 or even 60lb if it's needed depending on the situation.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

Hi, i got on my new reel and my other reels have 30lb Fins Braid, then tie on a 60lb Black Magic monofliament trace or leader onto it.
Few other fishos recommended something sturdy and more abrasive resistant so got the 60lb for the conditions up here.

Is there a difference in between a fluorocarbon or a monofilament leader? or is this just the branding names from different manufacturers?

Also was recommended to use the wire trace in either 60lb or 80lb wire tied to the braid as well.

Is there a difference in using a wire trace or monofilament line for say Lure fishing and bait fishing? Is one more practical then the other?
Or is it the target of fish your going for and their environment dependant on the gear you use? eg, say Mandorah fishing where bust-offs often occur, would you use more a wire trace to help eliminate bustoffs and fish biting thru the mono leader? then say, you want to lure fish, would you change to the mono leader line instead or continue using the wire trace and simply clip-on the lure?

Cheers guys :)
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Rob this post and several others on the forum contains most of the detailed information but in a nut shell...
Wire for macs and sharks.
Flouro / mono for lure fishing with barra, jack, queenies, sportfish and the like.
Mono for bait fishing and everything else.
That said everyone has their own preferences and techniques. Take Rob Harrison for example who never stopped using mono filament and wired traces to target barra and he caught plenty and set a few records doing so.
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

Thanks for that Dannett, :) Helps out myself and no doubt others whom read these posts as well.

Cheers
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Flurocarbon is said to not reflect light thus making it less obvious to fish. It is also more chaff resistant than mono of the same diameter. For this reason is why people use fluro on shallow flats ect. Wire trace has its purpose for mac trolling or big livies that will attract the toothy critters. In saying that as Dannett mentioned there are times when wire trace is good for barra fishing. If trolling deep a wire trace will help you keep the lure down further into the snag because of its weight and the darker light of the depth fish are feeding more by vibration than sight. Wire can how ever change the action of some of the more touchy lures making them less effective. The great Col Cordingly (R.I.P) used a black wire trace his whole life and he caught as many fish as any one as well as some of the major comps. One thing he didnt do a lot of was flats fishing and the cleaner water that you usually fish make wire far too obvious and change small lures actions.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

cuddlescooper wrote:The great Col Cordingly (R.I.P) used a black wire trace his whole life and he caught as many fish as any one as well as some of the major comps.
My bad, it was Col Cordingly not Rob Harrison using the wire traces.