Fenton Patches area 26-10-14

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Merlanko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Fenton Patches area 26-10-14

Post by Merlanko »

Hi All,

Headed out Fenton patches way on Sunday never fished out their before but just got my new Boat (my last one was recently stolen :evil: :hunting: ) so wanted to get some blood on it. Tides were huge so was a little optimistic of catching fish out wide.

Started the journey from Nightcliff ramp and headed out about 5am to Fenton's, looked around at all structure which was not holding any fish that I could see. Jigged a little with no success, birds working the surface but could not see fish breaching the surface.

Started heading out wider and looking at some close contour lines on the GPS, found some bait on the bottom and what looked to be mackerel mid water. Droped and octo jig down and soon enough got smashed by some brassy trevs. After catching 3 I followed the school and the macks started to come in. Got busted off multiple times and also dropped some quality fish. This only lasted for a 30min period then all went quite.

Still learning blue water fishing so any advice or tips would be appreciated, tides, outgoing or incoming or any other helpful tips, tried for some goldies but no luck. :drinking1:

Ended up with 1 mac and 3 trevs. Apologies for the bad photo when you are solo its very hard to hold a mac and take a photo with it.
20141026_115758.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fenton Patches area 26-10-14

Post by AM »

Sounds like a good trip and a great start for a new rig as well.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

stevepeime wrote:Hi All,

Headed out Fenton patches way on Sunday never fished out their before but just got my new Boat (my last one was recently stolen)

So it never turned up eh? Bad luck that was, Rob R sent me the pics that morning as he knew I was in the market for one, just in case i came across it. What did you end up buying?

Nice trip, good luck with the new boat.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Nice fish to 'blood' the boat, any part of the fish you don't eat would be great bait for large golden snapper, there is also some large coral trout and large saddle tail snapper mixed with them just a little further north from where you caught the mackerel, when i get a bigger boat thats where i will be heading.
Merlanko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Merlanko »

Jabsey - No boat never turned up the bastards still have it, appreciate you keeping an eye out for it. Ended up getting a topender 4.9 with a 90 on the back she is a great boat 100% happy with it. What did you end up with ? I know Rob headed out with you when you purchased it

cheers
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Scumbags.

I bought a GS Extreme 5.5 with a 175 suzuki. I wanted a big plate boat as i have 4 kids, it's 6m overall so plenty of room for them and all their food... Just dont get out enough, the wife thinks once a fortnight is plenty.

See you out there then.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

good result in the end.
i had a boat pinched in NSW and the coppers found it a couple of years later a long way from home. the funny thing was that the trailer was found after that even firther away but in the oposite direction.
obviously an organised gang
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

well done getting a couple of fish on the first trip, nothing better.

nice mack, sounds like there were a few around, out that way this weekend, hope to run in to some :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Merlanko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Merlanko »

Agent 86 - How did you go mate? any action out that way? Hoping to go wide this weekend