Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

Post by Matt Flynn »

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern- ... 7028542104

Another sad day. I had hoped the previous death might have refreshed the "caution factor".

RIP.

Jprbeard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

Post by Jprbeard »

Makes me realise why you guys were so forward on warning me when i went out to Hardies. Need to always be cautious no matter how many times you have headed out.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Matt Flynn wrote:http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern- ... 7028542104

Another sad day. I had hoped the previous death might have refreshed the "caution factor".

RIP.

Don't think it matters how cautious you are. We will all have to stop going fishing to avoid them now. There is just that many of them now that any time you go near the water one is watching you. Just need to slip or some thing now days and the risk of being taken is pretty god damn high. There not scared of humans and they are aggressive because there are so many crocs living in a close proximity IMHO. + the regularity of people fishing these areas. They say that crocs remember habits. Well people fishing places every day is as regular as it gets.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Don't think it matters how cautious you are. We will all have to stop going fishing to avoid them now. There is just that many of them now that any time you go near the water one is watching you. Just need to slip or some thing now days and the risk of being taken is pretty god damn high. There not scared of humans and they are aggressive because there are so many crocs living in a close proximity IMHO. + the regularity of people fishing these areas. They say that crocs remember habits. Well people fishing places every day is as regular as it gets.
I think you are right CC, it is time to cull more than are currently being taken. They are not endangered and would not be endangered if a limited cull took place each year.
FTRAINED
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FTRAINED »

Yeah mate, wasn't trying to rain on your fishing adventure.

Was bulletproof once but have learnt a heap about crocs given how frequently you encounter them fishing the fresh and having helped raise fresh and salt water baby crocs the past couple of years. They are quicker and more agile than I ever imagined.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Very sad. "Entered the water to retrieve a snagged line". Say no more.
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Condolences to the family.

As a reasonably wise man once said(Doug), Its time for a cull.
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Calling for a cull, a couple of hours after the attack, makes us look like red neck idiots.
Leave it for a while.
The full story isnt out yet. Going into water to retrieve a hook, lure or whatever, isnt smart, particularly if you have been fishing the spot for a while. Same goes for landing a fish, more so! Bend down and present yourself on a plate.

Looks like we are culling ourself, putting ourselves at risk, or in situations where we know or should know better.

Complacency is the real killer.
Scarey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Scarey »

Very sad, but honestly...

Wade in after already having been standing there for a while... that's suicide. Especially on the bl..dy Adelaide river.

RIP.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Calling for a cull, a couple of hours after the attack, makes us look like red neck idiots.
They are already being culled - trapped and sent off to the croc farm/handbag factory. Just need to turn up the conveyor belt speed a little.

No one is suggesting an angry mob armed with axes and pitchforks go forth to Corroboree.
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Mat, angry mob with pitchforks etc is EXACTLEY what the media will portray, ive seen enough to know the nt news trolls here for a story.
Im not saying dont cull or control numbers, but calling for blood and blaminng the govt is a bad game plan a couple of hours after it hits the news.
In fact blammeing the govt for not culling, is just plain stupid.

Call for blood and end up with no fishing zone croc sanctuarys is what will happen. Ever heard of the GBR marine park?

I used to fish LBG at Jervis Bay, now the new generation of LBG fishos cant get to the good spots because of the grey nurse sanctuarys, and we all know thats BS.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

I reckon Matt's right - turn up the conveyor for plucking out the crocks in pretty much every location that they are seen. The handful of Rangers / croc catchers just isn't enough IMHO. I mean seriously how much of an area can they really capture in their patrol / monitoring area!?!

RIP fellow fisho. My boat crew were plucking lures out of snags just this weekend... I don't know the full circumstances of the most recent incident, but it Could have been anyone really...
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Died because he wanted to save a hook/lure.....?!

A 57-year-old man is dead after he went into a crocodile-infested river in the Northern Territory to unsnag his fishing line and was attacked by one of the reptiles as his wife looked on.

The attack occurred at the Adelaide River, about 60 kilometres from Darwin, on Monday afternoon.

Police say the man's wife witnessed the attack and ran for help.

"He was there with his wife and he was fishing on the water's edge," NT Police Superintendent Jo Foley said.

"She left the scene because she saw this happen."

Police and wildlife officers searched the river using multiple boats and located the crocodile a few hours later. Shots were fired at the crocodile.

The man's body was recovered late on Monday night.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

The one thing I can say after my mates incident a couple of months ago is. Just because the NT New says it doesn't make it true. In fact it is more likely to be lies.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Sounds like the news sources got this one pretty right?!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.