Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

Post by barratrooper1 »

DOUG wrote:You bunch of latte sipping southerners have no idea..
Keep your marine park dribble down south culling crocs will never eventuate into croc sanctuaries.
When are people going to realise they are having there way of life taken away from them because of the ridiculous amount of crocs in our water ways.
Some people were brought up in the the water or on the water up here and then you have southerners coming up here telling locals to stay out of the water and they should have known better. Yes they should have known better and be more careful but were do you draw the line? Not fishing at all? Not go near the water? End up like the teddy bear southern states..
The people to first whinge about anything are always the ones to say they shouldnt have been there it's the crocodiles rights to be there what rights it's a over grown lizard cull them..
People whinge about youth crime yet everyone warns them off about going out and enjoying them selves in the bush/water out fishing which I believe gives young kids a far better up bringing and understanding of life..yet nothing is being done about the number of crocs that are becoming more and more frequent in swimming and fishing areas close to town. frigging crocs shoot them all..
You make me laugh Doug.
Im not one of those latte sipping southerners.
Im just warning you about them. Dont talk about the old days mate.
Not evryone had a 4x4 and boat in the old days, most do now but.

barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

barratrooper1 wrote:
DOUG wrote:You bunch of latte sipping southerners have no idea..
Keep your marine park dribble down south culling crocs will never eventuate into croc sanctuaries.
When are people going to realise they are having there way of life taken away from them because of the ridiculous amount of crocs in our water ways.
Some people were brought up in the the water or on the water up here and then you have southerners coming up here telling locals to stay out of the water and they should have known better. Yes they should have known better and be more careful but were do you draw the line? Not fishing at all? Not go near the water? End up like the teddy bear southern states..
The people to first whinge about anything are always the ones to say they shouldnt have been there it's the crocodiles rights to be there what rights it's a over grown lizard cull them..
People whinge about youth crime yet everyone warns them off about going out and enjoying them selves in the bush/water out fishing which I believe gives young kids a far better up bringing and understanding of life..yet nothing is being done about the number of crocs that are becoming more and more frequent in swimming and fishing areas close to town. frigging crocs shoot them all..
Killing them all is never going to happen, even if you tried, it couldnt happen.
Seriously though, if you take the risk, of going in tomget am20 buck lure, you either dont care about getting attacked, or are prepared and think its ok.
I balanced on a half sunk log last week, to get a prtotype lure back, only made one, and it worked great! The whole time I was on the log, I was thinking, how stupid am I?
when I got in reach of the lure, I was leaning out with a long piece of bamboo, trying to knock it off the stick, I cast it on. I was well and trully croc bait. Even if they culled them big time, where I was I reckon I would still have been croc bait.

You make me laugh Doug.
Im not one of those latte sipping southerners.
Im just warning you about them. Dont talk about the old days mate.
Not evryone had a 4x4 and boat in the old days, most do now but.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

will the real slim Dougy please stand up! :lol: ...........Is it really you Doug.....Are you back! lol Very fitting that it be over a croc post!
lantana
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lantana »

This chap taken is certainly sad news and my thoughts go out to his family, certainly his wife who apparently witnessed the incident.
I see a number of posts here advocating a cull of crocodiles. In thinking about it though, I really wonder if any sort of cull will stop people being attacked. I doubt very much that should any Govt approve a cull, it will only be at most, limited, and hence numbers will still stay high. I would doubt that any sort of cull will eliminate the risks.
I think that we as fishing people are somewhat blasé about the risks we can encounter, from crossing coastal bars, rock fishing, not wearing PFD's at times to encountering crocodiles in northern waters. Many of these activities claim lives every year, and yet continues to do so even though there are regular reports of events happening.
I will say that I have been guilty of taking unnecessary risks, but I guess through probably luck I am still around. Some are not.
I believe that we may well continue to see people lose their lives in what most believe is a very low risk recreational activity, but at times is certainly not. The question is, can we by any more or better educated on risk?
I cannot see any clear answer.
Even though we were only in the NT a short time, we learnt quickly and some things stay with you even now back down south I am always wary of a stick or log in the water, even to lean over the side I still look closely.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Nice article Matt....
Like the way they advertise income protection in the middle of it...

Does that cover you for croc attack too...?!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

hahaha welcome back DOUG ya frick. its been getting boring with just me being a smartass and fighting for our home town from these southerners.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

very sad news. condolences to all involved.

nomad wrote:We all know the risks when fishing.
We all know the risks when driving but still speed, etc etc

Agreed. But, the government puts limits on everything else that (sometimes indirectly) hurts humans. Why not a croc limit?

I saw one faceplant post mentioning this latest incident and that crocs were unpredictable. I disagree, they are very predictable. Give them an opportunity and they will fkn eat you!
They study habits...not just yours, but the 10, 50, 1000 fisho's before you standing/boating in that spot.

IMO, croc culling works. Theres plenty of river systems that are "managed" by T.O's and cockys where the crocs are scared by nature, you simply cant get near them. Then theres the rivers closely monitored by the authorities, usually close to major centers or really touristy where they will swim up to your boat and wait for a feed of whatever hits the water next.

I dont want them endangered, I just dont want the confident ones breeding/breathing..
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

Its a big risk..they dont have a predator that can attack a large croc.

These big crocs just have no fear.

Its sad for the bloke who died....but a fish hook....seriously thats crazy.

I think all of us have done some silly things when launching/retrieving boats in far away places but ive never considered wading in for a fish hook...

Bm
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

RIP the bloke taken and condolences to the family.
Oh and welcome back Doug.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Unfortunately many people who visit the north don't understand the risk.

Local people who should know better have also been taken. People think it won't happen to them.

Given that people are already ignorant or complacent, having fewer crocs around seems the only answer.

Two-week annual open season in selected areas. Tags given out with permits for animal carcass to be retained. Croc season to be held outside of tourist holiday season.

They have the same sort of hunting seasons for various types of animals all over the world.
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

I'm with Doug, if I see them stalking my boat I'll shoot them, it's that simple. Self defence your honour. What judge can argue that my life wasn't in danger??

It's easy to say "stay out of the water", we all launch boats, some of us at Shady, most of us has swum a barra at some point and people take a p..s of the back of the boat I'm presuming?

I've had enough of the keyboard warrior save the croc hippies, the government has two choices here, start culling these lizards or start forking out for a lot more coppers to police people like me who'll be blowing them away. :fu:

RIP to old mate too.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Rip to old mate, and condolences to his family but seriously this isn't the crocs fault, it's like throwing a big mac in front of a fat bloke, it's going to get eaten. I couldn't think of a worse place to fish really... Especially going in the water to retrieve a hook/lure
But even though I don't feel it's the crocs fault, still should trophy hunt or have a controlled cull where people can buy licenses to shoot them as there's just too many and they aren't scared anymore which I think is the big problem here
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

dirtyruiz wrote:I'm with Doug, if I see them stalking my boat I'll shoot them, it's that simple. Self defence your honour. What judge can argue that my life wasn't in danger??

It's easy to say "stay out of the water", we all launch boats, some of us at Shady, most of us has swum a barra at some point and people take a p..s of the back of the boat I'm presuming?

I've had enough of the keyboard warrior save the croc hippies, the government has two choices here, start culling these lizards or start forking out for a lot more coppers to police people like me who'll be blowing them away. :fu:

RIP to old mate too.
Government won't need more coppers because fools like you and Doug always shoot their guns and their mouths off and eventualy get caught. :bonk:

Don't get me wrong I'd be all for a controlled cull, if the science backed it up, but all the experts say it won’t make a lick of difference to safety. You still won't be able to go in the water and people will become more complacent and get eaten just as much. Just be careful and stop doing stupid shite.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

RIP to the old fella taken and condolences to his family.

Regardless of the circumstances around this poor blokes death whether it was his fault or not . I support the need to cull some of these bigger crocodiles. Since the death of the other bloke a few months back I'm a lot my conscious of my bad habits on the boat.

There's always a risk of a croc attack if you are on the water. Being croc wise might reduce the risk but there's is always that element. If the croc are scared of boats/man from a controlled cull it probably reduce the risk element significantly.

I want my kids to fish with me with the absolute minimum amount of risk.

:hunting: :hunting: sign me up for some of em gator tags.

Good to have ya back Doug!