Vinyl Boat Wraps

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
Barratuesday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vinyl Boat Wraps

Post by Barratuesday »

Hey guys, just curious to know if anyone on here has had a vinyl wrap fitted to their boats?

Couple of questions for you if you have.

1. Who did you get yours from?

2. what was the rough price?

3. Was it fitted when your boat was 2nd hand or new?

4. Has it stood the test of time?

5. Is there anyone in particular you would recommend?

I have been looking at the offerings from Marine Graphics Ink, they look spectacular.

any help appreciated :cheers:

Cheers

BT

Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Vinyl Boat Wraps

Post by Wrighty »

Hey BT,
I am in the process of getting one made up at the moment. I checked out signtech and Bigfish Graphics.
Both seem good but I am going through Josh @ bigfish for mine. I have dealt with him before in getting some shirts made for the Klash and he is very helpful and a great bloke.
It is going on a new 5.7m plate tinny that is almost finished being built.
I have heard that the wraps stick better to paint rather than bare ally but I don't see the point in getting it painted then getting a wrap, I don't want to fork out for both. It is a custom wrap so is a little pricey because I have to pay for the artwork to be designed but I have been told I should get a little change out of 3 grand.
They have their own wraps that are a lot cheaper as you don't have to pay for custom artwork. Wraps and prices on their FB page.
Key is don't wrap over the welds both on the underside of your gunwhales or bottom of the sides
Luke35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Luke35 »

Signcity in darwin have a gallery on their website with boats that they have wrapped. Some real nice jobbies in there :mrgreen:
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

I had a wrap done on a Quintrex topender by signtech and the first effort had to be redone as the two sides didn't match or line up at the front and the wrap started bubbling and lifting after a couple of weeks. Make sure you shop around before you fork out the cash
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

FYI: Have mates who have had a GS and a Skeeter wrapped by Signtech. GS going strong after a couple of years of heavy use. Skeeter had some early lifting problems but were quickly rectified, so both happy with the result.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I saw on FB last week some bloke wrap his boat in vinyl for sub $60 purchased from eBay. I was bright yellow with no graphics. But comes in variety of colours . It looked great and I was thinking of wrapping the mud boat in hot pink (2 girls everything at my joint is pink). I not sure if it will stand the test of time but sure will brighten up my faded and scratched up toender.
Barratuesday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Barratuesday »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I like the styles that MGI have as well as the price but the ones that Josh from Big Fish does are just something special. From what i have seen it would be better to get it done locally rather than have one sent up as the after sales service would be better.

Balou, there would be little to no chance of me doing my own as i'm pretty sure it would turn out like a dogs breakfast ha ha.

BT
Last edited by Barratuesday on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

balou wrote:I saw on FB last week some bloke wrap his boat in vinyl for sub $60 purchased from eBay. I was bright yellow with no graphics. But comes in variety of colours . It looked great and I was thinking of wrapping the mud boat in hot pink (2 girls everything at my joint is pink). I not sure if it will stand the test of time but sure will brighten up my faded and scratched up toender.
Probably got a couple of rolls of comtact used to cover school books :lol:
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

nomad wrote:
balou wrote:I saw on FB last week some bloke wrap his boat in vinyl for sub $60 purchased from eBay. I was bright yellow with no graphics. But comes in variety of colours . It looked great and I was thinking of wrapping the mud boat in hot pink (2 girls everything at my joint is pink). I not sure if it will stand the test of time but sure will brighten up my faded and scratched up toender.
:lol: :lol: surprisingly it looks great. I can't find the post on my fb feed from tinnie mods.
pilbara130
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pilbara130 »

Agree I seen the same post on the tinnie FB page come up a treat and very cheap great if your just trying to clean up your dinghy.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Check these wrap from eBay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

balou wrote:
nomad wrote:
:lol: :lol: surprisingly it looks great. I can't find the post on my fb feed from tinnie mods.
I have a eBay vinyl wrap on my car, it's been on for 15 months and still looks good with with no issues.
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

Looks good - what about if your old paint has a lot of scratches and stone chips? How would/ do you prep it?

Jon
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

hi Jon

had mine done last year by Signcity, came up with a great design, boat was a bit scratched and chipped, 8 years old so a few scratches etc, had to take the old stickers off the Savage as well,
been through the mangroves and stuff a few times now and is holding up well, as t the cost, depends how much you want to put into the design, and how much you want to cover the boat.
IMG_0064 1.jpg
IMG_0097 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

That thing must be bait flavoured too Dennis ?? :rofl:
Tight lines and empty spools !