Dundee trip.

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
dazza18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Dundee trip.

Post by dazza18 »

Hi guys, going to dundee for first time. Just going for the day. Has anybody got some tips or need to knows about there. Cheers.

Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dundee trip.

Post by Scottie5.3 »

How big is your boat? Only reason I ask is it makes a big difference as to where you can make it too safely and what are you targeting?
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
dazza32
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dazza32 »

Hey Scottie. 4.5 Bluefin with 60 on back. Hoping to target jews , goldies, maybe macks if we see birds working.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Well you might struggle if you go out wide and it's starts to blow up in a 4.5, so maybe try Roche reefs north of the ramp but watch the rocks as you head up there, or go down past the Finniss to blaze reef, there's a few spots down there that are productive just watch the winds before you go, I did it in my old 4.2 but the day was perfect. There's Dundee Jew reef right out the front of Dundee but I've never had any luck there other then the smaller stuff but people do catch Jews there from time to time. Also I was out wide on sat and heard from other fishos the tuna and Mack's were hanging around blaze and point Jenny so might be worth the trip, and if it blows up you always have the Finniss to run up and chase barra or Jews in the mouth and first rockbar or just launch at six pack creek and fish bynoe as it's a lot more sheltered and there's good fishing around the oyster farms and deep holes that are good for Jews. Hope this helps mate
Scott

dazza18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dazza18 »

Thanks mate for the help. Better than going in blind. Cheers
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Be aware you need to drive your boat on to your trailer at the Dundee ramp. Can be very tricky/nasty if you have breakers coming in, which is often the case with these winds.
dazza18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dazza18 »

Thanks for the warning.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Not to sure of the areas around blaze jennyeyc whe you would be targeting unfortunately. Maybe try channel point camp for something different
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

I was more thinking of what he could safely get too in a 4.5 AM. If he goes channel point may as well fish the perons.

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Scottie5.3 wrote:I was more thinking of what he could safely get too in a 4.5 AM. If he goes channel point may as well fish the perons.
No problems I was just letting him know that unfortunately I am not able to offer much advice about the closer areas to Dundee until he gets down a bit further south, and that is not a real safe option unless he launches from Channel Point in his boat.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

If he fishes north of Dundee around Roach Reefs no problem in the strong South Easter. To go direct to Jenny and Blaze he will get very wet across the bay. Best way is to travel south towards the Finniss and follow the coast around. I often come home this way when there is s very strong South Easter. Fishing close in to Jenny and Blaze will be sheltered.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

If you have a decent 4x4 launch at the Finniss river.