Has the fatal croc attack changed northern fishing?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Has the fatal croc attack changed northern fishing?

Yes, things will be different now
35%
No, it will be back to normal soon
65%

Total votes: 72

Scarey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Has the fatal croc attack changed northern fishing?

Post by Scarey »

I'm just surprised someone hasn't been taken from the Boat Ramp at Corroboree or Shady yet.

NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

http://www.motackle.com.au/media/catalo ... p-back.jpg

Re: Fish Reviving. Another 50cm and ability to turn head 90 degrees would be handy but it's a start; Length 106cm
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Ha, I was going to suggest a one-metre fish grip would be on the market soon, and look, it's already there.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

LOL.........can you image trying to get that into a fishes gob...........it can be difficult enough boatside as it is.........
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

Hopefully its changed the minds of the ignorant and complacent.
Any waterbody that is fishable can hold crocs so the rules remain the same.
Consider the possibilty of crocs and behave accordingly.
It's the first and last thing on my mind when out fishing.
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

You hope people will take note of tragedies like this croc attack. I suspect some people will change fishing habits and some will not . Compare it with car crashes, people die from car accidents every few weeks in the NT many of which are preventable, and all are reported in the media so everyone hears about them but every day you still see people doing silly things in cars on our roads, so I suspect this will be the same, some people will take note and learn from this tragedy and some people won't.

In the last year I have had two unprovoked and concerning incidents with crocs. The first in OCT last year I fished Tommycut creek mouth for 3 days and 2 nights with the AFANT catch and release survey, where we got permits to fish in the closure. I was Mooring just after dark on the mooring up past the crabbers hut or rather I was trying to Moor and a croc about 3 meters, maybe a bit smaller came strait out from the bank to my boat in about 30 seconds on the surface and sat about 5 meters from the boat on the surface and followed me while I did a big slow circle around the mooring, in the end I charged him with the boat and he backed away to about 100 meters and stayed there for hours. Lucky my boat is big enough (5.6m) with high sides that I can sit on the floor and hide from predator eyes! Which is a comforting thing at night when your the only boat up a creek, and being watched!

The second time was the 15th Feb this year, my partner and I did a Valentines day/ overnight cruise out to Sampan creek. The Boat was tied up to a tree at a creek mouth a mile or so up from the mouth of Sampan . It was around lunch time and we were flicking at the little creek, we had been there an hour and had caught a few fish, mostly rats when a big croc, like a big 4 meter plus animal stuck its head out of the water (they way they do when they are bout to jump) It was about 3 feet from the back corner of the boat, so within about 6 feet of my partner, the croc was facing the wrong way to jump at the boat or my partner, but again I am glad I have a boat with high sides, but for me this was still way to close.

I am getting a new Hull built and it is a bit smaller at about 5.5 overall and the seats are on the transom, not in the boat like my old boat. It is a solid plate boat with high sides and I am thinking about some extra high hand rails around the back where the seats are. Will it look silly?.......probably...... will my boat builder think what are you doing to my nice boat design? .......probably.....will I feel a bit more protected? ...hell yes and in time more people will be modifying boats to add protection and boats with high hand rails and added protection will be common as will extra long lip grips, buckets with longer handles and peeing in cups or buckets as apposed to peeing over the side. And I am also thinking about vertical guides for my trailer to make it even easier to get my boat back on the trailer as well!

So to answer the question do I reckon this attack has change fishing.....it has for some people!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Looking back now and talking to old mates, we used to drive like lunatics when we were young but we’ve slowed down a lot since getting older.
I have also changed my behaviour while fishing up here to even 10 years ago.
I really don’t think people are going to change anything in a major way because of this tragedy . They will think for maybe 10 minutes about then continue doing what they have always done.
Unless you make the conscious decision to change your normal behaviour and keep practice that change, it will just remain the status quo
muckamadboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muckamadboy »

seen a grey nomad tied up to a tree on the daly in a 3.2m tinny with a near 5m croc right near him on the bank.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

I heard that he was in the boat while it was tied up at the bank, camping there and had been there a couple days
Had gone down to get water over the back of the boat each day, regular activity, someone watching, who knows

Might be just another rumour or idea about it.

I will definitely be more careful now whilst out fishing!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Pretty sure you heard wrong Denis.
pocketfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pocketfish »

I was talking to a fella whilst fishing on Saturday, he was saying that the victim's brother had said the victim was in the water at the back of the boat and he was maneuvering the boat. Obviously this is just the chatter that goes on and I have no actual knowledge to share, but, If a person was in the water though, that for me, changes my view of the tragedy.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Until someone who was actually there tells the story, you never know what to believe. According to people that knew him he was a experienced fisherman and who in their right mind gets in the water like that. Find it hard to believe but it is possible.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Even if that is the case Pocketfish, it is still something that we all do to launch the boat every time we go fishing. its nearly impossible to launch a boat with out getting your toes wet at most ramps or bank launches. Shady camp is a prime example. It is that shallow most of the time that you have to back the boat 5 to 10 m off the dry land into the water and then after parking the car you have to walk out to get into the boat. Its not like he was swimming (as far as has been told) or spent long periods of time in the water. It just means this croc has stalked them over a period of time and laid in wait beside the boat which is the scary part of it all.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Pocketfish not sure who you were talking to but they were an A class wanker.
He was in the boat
It was thier first day on the water.
The attack happend while he was standing in his boat. He never entered the water at any stage.
I can assure you that Scotty had a lot more experience and common sense than most of the people I have heard trying to find a reason this happened.
Fact is he was desperatley unlucky in my eyes and he was doing nothing that I or most people I know havent done a million times over before. I for one will be considering what I need to change in my behaviour when I am on the water from here on in.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Need to come with an invention like the 'shark Shield' for surfers...
A device mounted to your boats hull that submits a signal crocs dont like..
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.