Croc takes man from boat

Crack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Croc takes man from boat

Post by Crack »

I don't agree with an open cull but people would pay big money to shoot a large croc.

If you had a few registered safari tours charging $5k-$10k per croc you'd have yanks and others coming over for their trophy croc. Would be great for tourism and buisness (Taxidermy etc) and would bring a lot of money into the NT. Each operator would have a yearly quota that they could not exceed to ensure sustainability but in turn reducing the number of crocs in our waterways.

Win win.

Bazza Silver
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bazza Silver »

Boom boom! Where we shootin' this weekend boys? I'll be launching the "Floating Lizard" at the Adelaide Bridge and crusin' down with the outgoing tide blowin' away every gator I see till the tide changes! Yeehaa I'm gonna light up that river like Bagdad till I see gators dancin' all over it!!!

They'll be able to hold a swimming comp there when I'm finished….boom boom boom!!!!!
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Bazza Silver wrote:Boom boom! Where we shootin' this weekend boys? I'll be launching the "Floating Lizard" at the Adelaide Bridge and crusin' down with the outgoing tide blowin' away every gator I see till the tide changes! Yeehaa I'm gonna light up that river like Bagdad till I see gators dancin' all over it!!!

They'll be able to hold a swimming comp there when I'm finished….boom boom boom!!!!!

Thats the stuff!.

Make sure your playing that music from The Apocalypse Now helicopter scene while you do it Bazza...
" Ride Of The Valkyries... "
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

nomad wrote:
mippa wrote:i know u wouldnt have time to grab it and shoot the croc but its a piece of mind when you are on the boat.
That doesnt make sense to me. I agree that giving the agro ones a touch up will deter them

The real dangerous ones are those you dont see. The ones that hang around have already sussed you and and decided not to have a go.

I still have no idea how a cull will make them wary of us. If you shoot them, they will never learn because that one is dead

Can someone tell me what the fascination is with people standing up in a little tinny to fish? You don’t get any extra distance or leverage. Just asking for trouble I reckon.
it means like someone already said - if someone in your boat gets grabbed you need to put your beer and rod down, grab your gun, load it, aim and fire. by that stage you would be 10m under in a death roll. you have no chance of shooting it. im referring to agro crocs ramming boats/motors or grabbing your fish while you are fishing etc.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Dick wrote:22 people have been killed washed of WA rocks whilst fishing since 2002. More people (mostly kids and the elderly) are killed by dog attacks each year than crocs. Don’t ask me for figures caused by driving drunk?? What are the stats on snake deaths, you have to look hard for a snake death reports in the media.

Now take a shark or croc fatality and it’s a guarantee to make the national press for a good week. Apparently we don’t take too well to be eaten and reactions from the press to the public is well out of proportion compared to other forms of death.

Two questions – What’s odds of any of us ending up croc poo compared to the odds of us spending the last six months of our lives tied to an oncology clinic watching our own life ebb with absolutely no control over events?

Given your response; if the sum total of your life was 70 years - from a personal perspective if you had the choice would its end be on the river and over in an instant or in the hospital in a morphine coma?

Crocs an apex predator? Bugger me there’s a lot scarier organisms out there that make them look like girl’s blouses.
I agree 100%
Nocturnal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Nocturnal »

I think the best solution is to just feed the crocs in all the areas we like to fish, its no brainer. We will never be able to cull crocs to a point of boating safely so lets just fill their stomachs so they arent hungry :chef2: . There has never been an attack in areas where crocs are feed. The only down fall of this solution is it will put all you red necks out of a job. :drinking1:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

seano wrote:
Dick wrote:22 people have been killed washed of WA rocks whilst fishing since 2002. More people (mostly kids and the elderly) are killed by dog attacks each year than crocs. Don’t ask me for figures caused by driving drunk?? What are the stats on snake deaths, you have to look hard for a snake death reports in the media.

Now take a shark or croc fatality and it’s a guarantee to make the national press for a good week. Apparently we don’t take too well to be eaten and reactions from the press to the public is well out of proportion compared to other forms of death.

Two questions – What’s odds of any of us ending up croc poo compared to the odds of us spending the last six months of our lives tied to an oncology clinic watching our own life ebb with absolutely no control over events?

Given your response; if the sum total of your life was 70 years - from a personal perspective if you had the choice would its end be on the river and over in an instant or in the hospital in a morphine coma?

Crocs an apex predator? Bugger me there’s a lot scarier organisms out there that make them look like girl’s blouses.
I agree 100%
I agree
How about if anyone who wanted to shoot crocs took their ammo money and put it into a fund for a media campaign to raise awareness about mens health issues. Would save seven or eight hundred times as many lives Id wager.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Sorry mippa, i didnt mean to bag you. I agree that would move the ones hanging around.

Mud, mens health problems always have and probably always will get less attention than required.
In the overall scheme of things, croc attacks are way down on the list compared to suicide etc
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Firstly my condolences to the family. :(

The post is getting a bit lost on that fact.

It’s like a male dogs pissing competition I just love it. :bow: :bow:

Having lived and fished just about every river in the Top End over 50 odd years the fact is there are now more boats and more crocs than there was back in the 60’s and 70’s (when they were shot) so the percentages are that there will be more and more of these attacks against humans.

I was stalked by a 4 meter croc on the Adelaide River (Last cast Creek) on the weekend and believe me it was lucky I was alert to him or he may have tried something on and this is not a rare thing anymore. For the unaware it could create problems. I am not saying I have anymore experince than old mate who was sadly taken last week because I know he has been around fair bit but what it does do is highlight just how vunervbale we are with these things. :idea:

One word CULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or be culled!!!!

Cheers
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Hi guys

All I can say is this man was a close friend of my family with 40 years experience fishing in the territory. The way it went down could have happened to anybody. Cull or no cull I think it's a worry that you can have this happen while sitting in your boat. All his family and friends are devastated.
RIP mate
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Who was it ghound..?
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Hemi wrote:Who was it ghound..?
give it a rest :bonk:
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Hemi put your real name and address up and I'll come and tell you
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Settle down, not being disrespectful in anyway...

Dunno why people get their knickers in a knot?

I personally would rather know the guy's name
I reckon there's more respect and honour in remembering somebody by using
their name rather than 'that guy' or ' that poor bastard'

It eventually instead just comes out in some crappy news source any way..
Why not honour the guy now for who he is ?
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Hemi wrote:Settle down, not being disrespectful in anyway...

Dunno why people get their knickers in a knot?

I personally would rather know the guy's name
I reckon there's more respect and honour in remembering somebody by using
their name rather than 'that guy' or ' that poor bastard'

It eventually instead just comes out in some crappy news source any way..
Why not honour the guy now for who he is ?
was not hard to read greyhound was a bit upset by the blokes death , show sum respect, contact him privately if ya need it so bad