Post by harvey »

Dont see much splash coming off this sucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUU8izGazw

Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: tabs vs formosa

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Oh course you don't Harvey, it's nearly glassed out. Give both boats a test run today in the harbour and then make a decision? The test will be to put an empty bucket in the same spot in both boats and measure how much water is in the bucket when you return to the ramp.
harvey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by harvey »

It looks pretty calm in the photo of the Formosa up the Daly Hombre.

I reckon both buckets would be full today.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

ocean master
dan444
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dan444 »

Being a hire boat, its highly likely it has more to do with either the operator, weight distribution and boat setup than the hull itself.

Its funny that in previous threads on this exact same topic, people commented on the tabs being wetter than the formosa....

I think that there are far too many factors involved - boat length, motor size, mounting height, weight distribution, type of prop (3 or 4 blade), hydrofoils, trim tabs, travel angle, wind direction, etc. to simply say one is better than the other in this instance.

All I can say is I've been in Harveys 5.8 and travelled alongside Balou's to say that the formosa's in this size and configuration are a good honest handling, dry plate hull boat.
cards
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

tabs vs formosa

Post by cards »

I have a 2013 Formosa Tomahawk 620 and it's awesome. I rented Hooked up boat hires 550 for a day before I purchased mine and I was also happy with that.
Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, while you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water - I drank it!

Yours sincerely, The Opportunist!
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

I have a 5.1 m stacer and once I was driving side by side with a 5.2 Formosa and we were standing up getting smashed and the guy next to us was sitting down drinking a beer.
True story
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

jonr wrote:I have a 5.1 m stacer and once I was driving side by side with a 5.2 Formosa and we were standing up getting smashed and the guy next to us was sitting down drinking a beer.
True story
Yep true was there as well quite impressed
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
Polycrafty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Polycrafty »

Polycraft, I'm not biased! :rofl:
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Reverse chine keeps them drier in the chop and deadrise.........Neither Tabs or Formosa have a decent reverse chine.......Origins boats are roughly 130mm reverse say compared to a Formosa's 50mm.......no comparison........but you get what you pay for.
wow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wow »

im always sitting down drinking a beer in my formosa!
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Took the 5.1 TABS Territory Pro out in Darwin Harbour yesterday with the missus. Handled the chop and reasonable swirl sweet as. Love the plate "swoosh" cutting through the waves like butter with no jolts at all. Dry smooth, comfortable ride which is a A+ with the missus. Will never go back to a pressed alloy boat again. Take one for a test drive and you'll never go for anything else! Best of luck with your choice.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

We went to the daly in a mates 5.8 Formosa and it's didn't impress me much, nice boat but heavy and wet. Only seen tabs boat on the water but I would be testing one for sure as they look like a nice ride and well fitted out.
My personal preference would be a ocean master though, cousins have the 451 and 649 (I think) and I've been in some rough stuff in them and they are just so stable and handle chop well.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne