Tick treatment

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
bugged1989
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tick treatment

Post by bugged1989 »

Ivermec doesnt just do ticks though. Also does all worms but the tape worm.
I dont care if im a "fookin" idiot for it, my dogs are safe and have been doing it for years. $80 = 7 years for 2 large dogs treatment... you do the math..

" Peace and Quiet - Loud and Obnoxious more like"
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Hemi wrote:I reckon your a foookin idiot if your injecting your dog with anything..!
Theres plenty of products that work a treat without having to be injected..!
The one i use is a microscopic amount simply placed on the back & we never see ticks.
A bit rough mate. My vet put me onto ivermec and taught me how to inject my 2 dogs back of the neck. He recommended a shot once a month but I did it once every 3-4 months as I hated jabbing them.

ghound wrote:buy some stuff from bunnings called confidor. Same ingredients advantage. 2ml down the back. You can also mix it is a spray bottle and spray around the yard. Used to have a dozen greyhounds and never saw a tick.
Might give this a crack Jimmy.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

big trick with wormers is to mix them up.
Ivomec is good but evert 3rd worming I would give them some drontal tablets or pancur.
Worms get immune to the same stuff after a while
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

Hemi, it's no dramas if you know what your doing. quick and easy.

I've tried all sorts of products like washes, pour ons etc, confidor. they simply don't work well enough
Cozzy0011
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cozzy0011 »

Ivomec 1.5 ml for a big dog injected between the shoulders. Vet said its the same as what there using and a bottle has lasted me 2 years now. Cost 285 i think, we got 6 dogs and no problems to date
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

..... I got my bull mastiff X ridgeback injected at a vets here in Darwin 2 years ago..(wont name where)
I woke up the next day & found my dog dead in the backyard...

Did some research into tick injections, found the toxins they inject your dogs blood with to poisons the parasites with can be lethal..
Vets arent always completely honest..... Beware!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

Guys, be careful using Ivermec and mixing it with the flea tablets, Comfortis. My missus took my blue heeler to the vet (he had got into a fight with another dog) and got antibiotics and anti inflammatory injections. The vet then upsold her to get a tick injection and sold her some Comfortis tablets. Ive never used Comfortis, read too much bad feedback on the net about it (I was away with work and only found out after she'd given it to them) Anyway, one of the side effects from mixing the tick and flea medications is they can go blind. So, long story short, I've now got a blind dog. I'm aware thre may have been other factors, but he could see fine before the vets, now he's blind as a bat. Speaking to other vets, they say they'd never give those two medications together, so just do your research before giving your dogs anything, is all I cay say.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I wouldn't give you tuppence for half of the vets around this town
One of the best was Ulick Wong but he got shut down for some reason
You should research anything before you use it on your hounds or get advice from someone you know is in the know
Ivomectins are for use on livestock and the companies that supply them don't endorse them being used on dogs but having said that ivomectin is one of the first products vets will recommend for mange and heartworm control
Some dogs have adverse reactions to mectins mainly collie breeds and saint bernards and there are a couple of others
I myself have been using them on my hunting hounds for a long long time and had no problems
Ivomectin is what is in your heartworm tablets
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

I didn't know about the bad press about comfortis? I've just started using it (6 months or so) and find it works better than Frontline and that sort of ripoff poop for fleas AND ticks. Best off the shelf thing I've found without injections.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

shaggs wrote:I wouldn't give you tuppence for half of the vets around this town
One of the best was Ulick Wong but he got shut down for some reason
You should research anything before you use it on your hounds or get advice from someone you know is in the know
Ivomectins are for use on livestock and the companies that supply them don't endorse them being used on dogs but having said that ivomectin is one of the first products vets will recommend for mange and heartworm control
Some dogs have adverse reactions to mectins mainly collie breeds and saint bernards and there are a couple of others
I myself have been using them on my hunting hounds for a long long time and had no problems
Ivomectin is what is in your heartworm tablets
Ulik was a great vet and i think he retired now. One vet which was in the game for his passion for animals not the dollar.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

There are a couple of types of Ivomectin one for sheep and one for cattle. If you use the cattle one at sheep doses = dead dog.
The thing with any wormers is if the dog is infected it can knock the stuffing out of them. If your using a wormer that does heart worm and your dog has heartworm = dead dog. I know most of your dogs are just pets but I can tell you after worming a dog 9/10 blood counts drop to anaemic levels. If the dog is anaemic it has high probablilty of getting tonsillitis etc which can knock a dog around more than most people know.

Ulich was the best vet in Darwin by a million miles. I also found the Coolalinga vet to be good too. Jaimon at Howard springs knows his stuff as well but charges like a wounded bull.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

ghound would know he had a heap of dogs. I never used to worry too much with my racers as I always kept their red blood cell count very high. Those days some medicines didnt show up........
Cozzy0011
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cozzy0011 »

When using ivomec with comfortis you need to cycle it so that they are a least two weeks apart from doses
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

I found that out from the 2nd vet we went to. It was too late by that stage. When I questioned the first vet, she had no idea about the two week period.
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

I used to go to Ulic as well. By far the best for hunting dogs I've come across in Darwin. Haven't found a decent one since