The great Aussie rip-off

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: The great Aussie rip-off

Post by Matt Flynn »

but do these people protesting realize the money has to come from somewhere?
I'd suggest the money could come from a 1% tax on bank mega-profits from the great Australian housing boom, seems only fair.

skinny joel
Seadog
Seadog

Post by skinny joel »

matt, very idea-logic, and the loss the bank will make due to it will only be handballed to the consumer anyway (you and me) thus bringing the housing industry that has lined many pockets to an end. as if its not already hard enough for joe average to get in on the dream.

i suggest we take the money out of arts and those that earn over 100k, also could cut the meals of state prisons down to once a day and it be bread and water to save costs. also bring in firing squad for those serving life sentences so they are not a burden to the economy. etc etc etc
the cuts have to come from somewhere and at the end of the day it will stir up some rainbow chaser somewhere.

cuts and less fraud in government (like adf) would save this country more than enough money to end up in a surplus. as would stopping the pollies lifetime super/pension, but it aint going to happen.

fact of the matter is, australian politics is weak, made up of weak men and women who are to weak to make strong decisions for the good and longevity of the country.
it will be an interesting future.
human guppy
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

How about old mate on the radio on Friday. Gave all his land away to parks and wildlife commission to prevent uranium miners getting it. Now the commission have rightly granted him an exemption in appreciation to build himself a small home on his former property for old times sake winner winner chicken dinner. Only trouble is he can't afford it. He "would like to live out his life with family on country , grow old on country, hopefully pass away on country" all good by me. Problem is no money to pay for the small house, as he so succinctly put it "I need an out station and nothing happens without money". Hello ........ only the miners had the cheque book in their hand when they wanted the land. That massive crashing noise was the penny dropping perhaps.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Im with Skinny joel. Get rid of the life pension for polly's- a one off payment will soffice.
Get rid of all the life term prisoners- Will save money looking after them and might get rid of some of the crime and corruption being run from prison.
And make pollies accountable for actions- pay them for performance. And when I say performance I dont mean the circus act that they perform in a parliment room arguing that the opposition leader called him a lyer or pussy. It would be nice if they actually achieved some thing that will benifit the country instead of only trying to deface the opposition which is all they spend millions of $$$$ on doing now a days. :banghead:
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

They have stopped life time pensions. Any members elected after 2007 (from memory may be 2004) don't get it. They do get about 9 months pay to tie them over until they find a job after getting voted back out plus standard public servant super ( almost 2time the private sector super) but same rules.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Where is the plan to increase revenue? Open for business my arse, it is all rhetoric. Why turn our backs on the clean energy sector? It is the way of the future and there is plenty of business to be had there. We have a proud history of research and development but we are pissing on science. This country is being put into reverse by this government. The Government is reading staight from the Margaret Thatcher playbook.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Rug wrote:Where is the plan to increase revenue? Open for business my arse, it is all rhetoric. Why turn our backs on the clean energy sector? It is the way of the future and there is plenty of business to be had there. We have a proud history of research and development but we are pissing on science. This country is being put into reverse by this government. The Government is reading staight from the Margaret Thatcher playbook.
And here I was thinking you were "today tonight" fan. :wink:
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Rug probably watched 4 Courners last night on the ABC.

This current government isnt keen on renewable energy, cant tax what the sun or wind or ocean currents provides. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-08/q ... ection=qld

Problem is the big end town business such as the banks and the mining sector are driving policy direction via the lobbiest who are in the politicians ears and provide huge political donations. Only recently Queensland has recommissioned two of its coal fired electricity generators, why becuase the price of gas is bringing in record profits from overseas clients and worth more to sell offshore. Plus the fact coal is cheaper to produce electricity from. Sure it is a dirtier burn than gas but more efficient, produces better heat. The rising international price of natural gas is causing electricity providers to return to coal-fired power, with Queensland among the first to make the move.

Power companies are taking advantage of the export gas price, making more money by selling their gas rather than burning it. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-03/e ... ection=qld

They have mountains of coal still sitting in the Emerald Basin waiting to be mined and used. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-03/n ... ection=qld

Same thing will happen with NT gas, will there be an ammount held back for local consumption? No sell the lot......and pay bugger all tax too.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Yeah I watch 4 Corners.

Not where this train of thought came from though.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Dundee Hombre wrote:Rug probably watched 4 Courners last night on the ABC.
Beats the crapola out of Masterchef, House Rules, The Voice, CSI, Biggest Loser, Border Security, Airport, etc, etc, etc ..... that the commercial stations dish up to the 80% brainwashed majority (same mindless crew that must have bought Tony Rabbits 3 word slogans campaign - Stop the Boats, Stop the Boats, Stop the Boats - Hope Reward Opportunity ??? Axe the Tax , etc etc - Good Grief ....... :banghead:
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

I agree with you Slug at least the ABC approach albeit leftist looks at all of the angles.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

slug wrote:
Dundee Hombre wrote:Rug probably watched 4 Courners last night on the ABC.
Beats the crapola out of Masterchef, House Rules, The Voice, CSI, Biggest Loser, Border Security, Airport, etc, etc, etc ..... that the commercial stations dish up to the 80% brainwashed majority (same mindless crew that must have bought Tony Rabbits 3 word slogans campaign - Stop the Boats, Stop the Boats, Stop the Boats - Hope Reward Opportunity ??? Axe the Tax , etc etc - Good Grief ....... :banghead:
Ah yes, the brainwashed majority. I like to refer to them as the imbecilic masses! :roll:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I like to refer to them as the imbecilic masses!
Far worse are the ones who think they know something, and the ones who think they have God on their side.