Found the Jew

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Found the Jew

Post by Lats »

Well since my recent Fog Bay jewfish doughnut I decided to try something different and fish somewhere I have never fished before (well I did once but we were targeting reefies and I had a lot of shandys). And I only really decided to go because my old mate Tim talked me into it. The plan was to hit Cape Hotham with a late start 15:30, fish into the night and early finish the next day. I was home by 10am. It was a little bumpy getting over there but I was able to sit on 35km/h, not slam into the next swell and stay dry so you really cant complain about that. I sounded around the 2 main reefs out the front and didnt really see much on the bottom that warranted me to drop a bait so I went to a mark that Tim gave me for jewfish. It was hard bottom but looked very flat so I didnt drop a bait there either. It was just on dark so I decided I should be fishing so I went to a mark I got out of an old NT Fishing Mag. Found a spot in within 10mins I was bricked on the reef. Hmmmm I think I might be in the right spot I thought to myself.

Next drop I thought I would do a little experiment. Top hook squid/pilchard and bottom hook fresh tuna I had caught the day before. Wasnt long before line was tearing off. Learning from the previous encounter, way more drag and an ever increasingly sore thumb on the spool. Turned its head :D First battle won. Then I realised I needed the gaff. Couldnt find it. So now I need a torch to find the gaff. Couldnt find one in the dark (I really need a head lamp). Next as I did a lap around the boat and under the minn kota my shorts fell down. Lucky I was fishing alone and at night :lol: I kicked them off, found the torch and then found the gaff. Fish landed at 119cm. Pretty happy with that.
P1000097.JPG
Made sure the shorts went back on before the photo. Oh, and guess what? The tuna bait was taken. I lost my next 2 fish to the reef again. Tide started to die and so did the bite so I decided to motor back to the other mark to get some sleep. 11pm at this stage and I saw another boat parked on it. It was Tim and his mate. I thought they had decided not to come out. Rafted up next to them and opened up a few more cans of amber delights. I wont comment on their fish but I will say they were doing quite well.

I pulled the hook on a good fish first drop but hooked up shortly after on another 119cm fish
P1000106.JPG
That was me for the night so I stopped fishing and just chatted and a few more beers. Gave the boys some tuna and it worked well. I was surprised the amount of jewfish coming from this flat ground. I always thought holes and ledges were the go. Learn something every day. Went to bed at 0130 and back up at 4am to get my anchor off the bottom on slack tide. Much easier when I'm by myself at night. Flat ride back to Leeders Creek. Good feeling to be getting out of the water with a few fish just as many hopefuls were just putting in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Found the Jew

Post by theodosius »

Well done! I spent an evening around 6 mile trying for a jewfish with no luck. May have hooked one on the Zeelandia later on, something took me into the wreck.
wadeqld'r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wadeqld'r »

Nice report Lats, I was out in the same area on Saturday morning, it was a nice trip around the cape early in the morning. We pulled up on our mark which we normally do good on and got a good feed of goldies, no jewies at all we put it down to they must be feeding at night and after reading your post it makes sense. The Easterlies picked up at 1100 and it was time for us to leave.
Once again good report, nice photos.

Cheers,

Wade
Polycrafty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Polycrafty »

Very humorous capture, fish envy as I can't get out any time soon.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Fishing by yourself... Remote... No pants on... Beers... Sounds a tad fishy. Lucky you've got some evidence of some real fishing going on! :moon: Full moon light I guess...
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I love my vacuum packer. 16 double and 4 single. Not including wings. And tonight I'm baking the trunks in a panaeng curry paste mmmmmm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Thanks for the report and well done on the fish!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Well done lats. I fished Charles point last night and couldn't find the big jew. I guess they may all be over towards the east.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Sounds like a ripper trip mate ,and another pants malfunction , :moon: :rofl:

catch em anyway you can I'spose :mrgreen: . Just watch out for the lose tackle dangling around the Gaff
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Nice double there, better pull my finger out soon.......

Well done mate!
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Geez you are keen mate remote, solo and at night. Great fish and a good read.

That's a lot of meals from one fish.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

He don,t eat much,,,thats why his pants fall off :lol: :rofl:
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

balou wrote:Geez you are keen mate remote, solo and at night. Great fish and a good read.

That's a lot of meals from one fish.
Keen but also watched the weather for 2 days before deciding to go. Had plans where to hide if I had to. Luckily I didn't need it. As I said, made plans to cut my sleep short for the best time to get the anchor off the bottom on my own. Take a few small precautions and it's all good

And that's 2 fish 8)
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

jeffish wrote:He don,t eat much,,,thats why his pants fall off :lol: :rofl:
I'm a fat bastard. I think I've worn out the elastic