Gibb river road fishing spots?

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Dutchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gibb river road fishing spots?

Post by Dutchy »

Travelling the gibb river road this year and was wondering if anyone can share some fishing spots, stories or experience. We will be travelling from kununurra to broome via the main road and everything in between, including mitchell falls.

After broome we will travel north to cape leveque. Looks like paradise and hopefully some nice fish too.

Thanks in advance

I can count to potato!

Keep on keeping on.
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Gibb river road fishing spots?

Post by palaran »

You got a boat?
How long you you here for?
Dry season will slow fishing but you should still be able to catch Barra if you put the time in.
You can fish the Lower Ord and there are plenty of options here. Just be wary of crocs as usual. You can either use lures or live bait. There are a myriad of places to fish and camp and most indicated on maps. Look for snags and the Barra wont be far away.

You can spend a few days at the Keep River and most live bait here and do well but good spot for tinnies. Plenty of camping and the new road makes it a real quick drive now. You can just drive down the river and camp anywhere on the banks (well not right on the water due to crocs etc.) but plenty of river to explore. Just head out Weaber Plains road until you hit the Keep. Not much shade though so bring some.

You can fish Wyndham. Again plenty of options around the local tracks and you can access the King River here which has good Barra. Most live bait again.

I'm asuming you will stay at El Questro? Plenty of Barra around.

The Penticost River is worth a stay or two and most live bait again and you just turn right once you hit it on the Gibb and fish/camp downstream. Plenty of places to camp. Can get a tinnie in no worries.

The Durack will be next and fish downstream from the Durack falls. Theres a track that leads to the falls a few km's before you hit the River on the right. Otherwise there are some camping spots on the right of the River just before you drop into the river bed.

Kalumburu has plenty of options and plenty of camping options. Take your pick and just be wary of crocs. McGowens was not that flash but very expensive to camp and take ear plugs for sleeping at night as the Gen set runs all night...

If you head into Mornington then you can fish for Barra in the Fitzroy. Plenty of options so just choose your spots.
You can fish the Fitzroy closer to Derby and plenty of spots but most hit Telegraph pool. You can camp here as well.

Cape Leveque will require booking in advance as it is popular and tends to book out very quickly well ahead so check their website. Plenty of fishing options and best if you have a boat. If not, fish the beaches and rocky points etc. Good clear water and white sandy beaches and croc free so good swimming. Easy to relax here for a few days. Plenty of options to camp and fish up the Peninsula so dont stress to much.

The Gibb is not rough and the road only suffers corregations but if your in the peak season you'll be eating dust.... Mitchell Falls is worth the trip and make sure you stop to view the rock art and there are some good sites. We have had a good wet so there should be plenty of water. I can give you other pointers if you let me know what kind of intinerary you have?

I'm on leave for the next two weeks (leaving Sunday) and will be out bush but feel free to PM if you like and I'll respond when I can as the above is just a quick snapshot. If I'm around when you pass through Kununrra I'm more than happy to pull out the maps over a beer or three... and give you some pointers.
Cheers
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
Dutchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gibb river road fishing spots?

Post by Dutchy »

palaran wrote:You got a boat?
How long you you here for?
Dry season will slow fishing but you should still be able to catch Barra if you put the time in.
You can fish the Lower Ord and there are plenty of options here. Just be wary of crocs as usual. You can either use lures or live bait. There are a myriad of places to fish and camp and most indicated on maps. Look for snags and the Barra wont be far away.

You can spend a few days at the Keep River and most live bait here and do well but good spot for tinnies. Plenty of camping and the new road makes it a real quick drive now. You can just drive down the river and camp anywhere on the banks (well not right on the water due to crocs etc.) but plenty of river to explore. Just head out Weaber Plains road until you hit the Keep. Not much shade though so bring some.

You can fish Wyndham. Again plenty of options around the local tracks and you can access the King River here which has good Barra. Most live bait again.

I'm asuming you will stay at El Questro? Plenty of Barra around.

The Penticost River is worth a stay or two and most live bait again and you just turn right once you hit it on the Gibb and fish/camp downstream. Plenty of places to camp. Can get a tinnie in no worries.

The Durack will be next and fish downstream from the Durack falls. Theres a track that leads to the falls a few km's before you hit the River on the right. Otherwise there are some camping spots on the right of the River just before you drop into the river bed.

Kalumburu has plenty of options and plenty of camping options. Take your pick and just be wary of crocs. McGowens was not that flash but very expensive to camp and take ear plugs for sleeping at night as the Gen set runs all night...

If you head into Mornington then you can fish for Barra in the Fitzroy. Plenty of options so just choose your spots.
You can fish the Fitzroy closer to Derby and plenty of spots but most hit Telegraph pool. You can camp here as well.

Cape Leveque will require booking in advance as it is popular and tends to book out very quickly well ahead so check their website. Plenty of fishing options and best if you have a boat. If not, fish the beaches and rocky points etc. Good clear water and white sandy beaches and croc free so good swimming. Easy to relax here for a few days. Plenty of options to camp and fish up the Peninsula so dont stress to much.

The Gibb is not rough and the road only suffers corregations but if your in the peak season you'll be eating dust.... Mitchell Falls is worth the trip and make sure you stop to view the rock art and there are some good sites. We have had a good wet so there should be plenty of water. I can give you other pointers if you let me know what kind of intinerary you have?

I'm on leave for the next two weeks (leaving Sunday) and will be out bush but feel free to PM if you like and I'll respond when I can as the above is just a quick snapshot. If I'm around when you pass through Kununrra I'm more than happy to pull out the maps over a beer or three... and give you some pointers.
Cheers

No I won't have a boat. Thanks for the info. Hoping also to get some time for a fish in broome.
I can count to potato!

Keep on keeping on.