The Adelaide and more rain.

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Adelaide and more rain.

Post by Goat Island »

well it certainly did not turn out to be the runoff we all expected after good rain and flooding in February, BUT...Fishing has improved here lately for the people in "the know". River full of bait, [incl. nice big cherabins], but most barra caught are on hard bodies and soft plastics. Many rats, but also 55 to 85 cm caught in reasonable numbers, mainly at Beatrice and up at S-bends, but several has also been caught trawling.

NOW, the missing follow up rain after flood in Feb. is really not unusual, remember that Monsoon troughs on average comes 6 to 8 weeks apart, and I am pleased to tell you that more rain is coming, for 2 reasons.

1.. My landing pontoon out the front got smashed and broken, is still sitting upside down and useless out front. My big barge which would make a good temporarily landing, is sitting "landlocked" in back pond, river rise around 1 meter above high tide needed to bring it out.[That should be reason enough].

2... Just over 2 weeks ago when many said "that's the end of the wet", I noticed my little mates, the Crimson Finches, again started playing "mating games", collected loose feathers from my loose running chooks for nest feathering, and THAT I have NEVER seen unless more rain is coming. SO, ??????.

Me thinks Wet Easter, happy camping.

Cheers, Kai @ Goatisland.

grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: The Adelaide and more rain.

Post by grumpy »

Hi Old Son agree %100 raining next week me predicts. Things are getting more active.

The Horse is on his way out there as we speak with a couple of interstaters.

Cheers Grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

hope your right
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Here I was betting on a dry season Easter weekend.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I hope you are right Kai bit of rain wont hurt. I wonder what the other couple of weather experts on FFF reckon.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Guaranteed!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

It rains every Easter! I don't think I have done a trip over Easter that I haven't been rained on. :bonk: I think Jesus just likes having a crack at me for going fishing at such a time! :naughty:
Barramunday2Sunday
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Barramunday2Sunday »

i reckon you've got my vote to be the CEO of the BOM..... they have all the technology in the world and still cant get the weather right.... you have been very consistent in other post regarding the monsoon! well and truly before the so called weather man.... even better put in for the chief ministers position.... lol
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Raining at Easter, yep, for sure I reckon

Good couple storms over the last few days and more this weekend

Getting any up there Kai?
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
RP071
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RP071 »

See you in early May!!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yep. Pull out the camping gear and the rain is guaranteed
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

YES, The crimson finches got it right again, we have had very close to 300 mm since I called it 9/4. Goes to prove that God talks more to them than me, or they are better at listening. Unfortunately rain was to spread out to have any significant effect on river level, so barge still stuck in back pond, and will involve a lot of hard yakka to get out.
Just had 4 "boys" staying for 3 days for a total of 8 keepers, nothing big but clean and fat. Heaps of rats, and massive cherubins [cooked up last night].
They also caught a sawfish on cherubs [very unusual]. About 600 mm, so would probably be one of new releases by Kate Buckley did earlier this year,[She is doing a PHD on sawfish, incl. release and tracking] SO PLEASE, if you catch one, take photo and release as quickly as possible, they are an important part of a healthy river system.

Cheers. Kai.