Adventure at Lorna

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
robertnewland90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Adventure at Lorna

Post by robertnewland90 »

WARNING! Do not spray carby cleaner near any electrical components let alone under the fly wheel! Carby cleaner breaks down the lacquer coating on the stator windings! It also attacks plastics really quickly! Fresh water wash down with the engine cool and not running then spray with a lanolin based lube. Lanolin does not affect the electrical components. Also if you're getting a salt buildup it may be due to your boat spraying lots from the back, possibly from your transducers.

When in doubt, Power out,
Or turn right...
badcompany
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by badcompany »

Thanks guys for the comments, yeah Slug I was told to use carby cleaner only for where the magnets are not over your motor I should have specified that do not spray it all over the motor or on electrics. the mechanic used yamalube carby cleaner and said that's what they always use for under there? I use Marine CRC on motor after each trip but never sprayed where the magnets are. First time I had ever had this problem think it was just building up over the years of use. Sounds like Robert knows what he is talking about ill start using a lanolin based spray - never thought of washing the motor down always been too scared of wetting something that shouldn't get wet.
robertnewland90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by robertnewland90 »

I wash down my motor the inside of my motor probably every 4th trip or if i had a big day i'll do it then. Make sure you don't pressure wash it as the water will get to places you don't want it to go, a light spray is sufficient. After you have finished just leave the cowling off and when it is dry then spray the lanotec. You'll be amazed how easy the water falls off when the lanolin is doing its job. Also make sure no water gets into the air intake. Some hydrocarbon based lubes kill rubber and plastic in the long term.

Lanotec is great. some of the uses on the lanotec site:
Non conductive to 70kV
Protection of electricals and electronics from salt, humidity and crystallisation - radios, aerials, ECU’s, circuit boards, connectors, switchgear and navigation lights
Penetrant, frees up corroded parts
Inside cowlings and overheads
Inside air-conditioning units
Protects and polishes aluminium and fibreglass
Protection and lubrication of fishing equipment
Outboard motors and stern drives
Marine accessories including zippers, awnings and covers
A cable lubricant, soak control cables prior to installation
Restore and protect plastic seats and fittings, sliding windows, hinges and locks, tools, leather and rubber items
When in doubt, Power out,
Or turn right...