Anyone from around the sunny coast??

itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Anyone from around the sunny coast??

Post by itsinmeblood »

I wouldn't bother with old woman island, it's been flogged to death, better to head south and fish the inshore reefs off wurtulla about 2/3rds of the way to caloundra, I've gotten some pretty good snapper there just outside the shark nets, plus it gives you a run home with the wind over your shoulder when the endless sou easters blow and the tuna schools from there back to mooloolaba don't get harassed as much as the schools in the bay north from mooloolaba

fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
mungoman_c
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mungoman_c »

thanks for the info fellas!
Sataymas
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sataymas »

Hey. I moved to Darwin 2 yrs ago from Sunny Coast. I lived in maroochydore and Caloundra for the last 23yrs. I Had a heap of marks but Ill have to go hunting for them. Ill have a look tonight. I used to Fish out off Coolum alot, There is a big rocky outcrop off the beach and if you sound around about 500m out there is some massive structure there. (ill have the mark on the list). I always picked up good snapper and sweets there. Also a good spot when the mack are running. Old woman sucks unless you like feeding the vermin. The only good thing is that you get good slimey there for bait sometimes. Caloundra is good but you gotta cross the bar unless you run down from Mooloolaba (its a good 20 min run) The bar isnt too bad but it changes every week. The blinker which is only a couple of NM off the coast can be good for grassy's, snapper etc. I have seen macks schools there the biggest I have ever seen. Wurtulla is also god as inmeblood says. Definetly doesn't get flogged like the mooloolaba reefs either. The worst thing about the coast is the weather and swells mate, it can suck for weeks...
mungoman_c
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mungoman_c »

Thanks mate, im getting keen to get down there for a look!
Banana Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Banana Man »

I'm headin to SE QLD myself shortly and will be frequenting the sunny coast over weekends- sing out if ya need a deckie :-) can't help with any marks but... :-(